Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    I'll definitely be more careful to use a Visa credit card out and about rather than a Visa debit.
    Sorry, you've had to learn that the hard way. I try to tell people about that when the subject comes up. I've had my credit card forged a few times. A bit of a hassle, but not that big of a deal.

The worst was when my check book was stolen. The guy drained the account. I had to borrow money from my mom to get though the weekend until the bank opened. Then I had to close that account and open a new checking account. You know, with those "beginner checks" that nobody will touch? And wait a few weeks for the new ATM card. Now that sucked.

So, every time First Hawaiian sends me a new "ATM" card, I have to call them up and tell them "No, I don't WANT a debit card - I want an ATM card!"

As for how they stole it, there's any number of ways. "Second swipe" by a casher, especially at restaurants where the waitress disappears from your view with your card. Perhaps some "black box" inserted between that card swipe machine and the register. Or some stolen mail (is your mailbox secured?). Then again, they might have just guessed your number. The crooks know how to make numbers that look good. If it happens to match your account, guess what happens? Frankly, I think on-line theft is the least of your worries. Yeah, it gets the most press, but that's not the most common method. Or so I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I woulda loved the PA system today! I was stopped at a red light at Paki and Monserrat when a lady wanted to cross from one side of Paki to the other. The crosswalk was 4 car lengths away but...NO...she insisted on stopping traffic both ways to avoid walking the extra 40 or so feet. She had to stop directly in front of my car to avoid getting hit by a car that didn't see her in the next lane. Woulda been fun to broadcast loudly..."You're crossing the street illegally!" while she was such a captive audience!
    Just watch out for this old lady.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by 68-eldo View Post
    Just watch out for this old lady.
    Teeeeeheeeee

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well...wouldn't you flush an unflushed filthy toilet before using it too?

LOL! Obviously, you've never had an indoor kitten. If you cleaned their litter box every time they used it, that's all you'd be doing, since they use it 10+ times a day. For the record, his litter box is never "filthy" and neither is my toilet.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
    LOL! Obviously, you've never had an indoor kitten. If you cleaned their litter box every time they used it, that's all you'd be doing, since they use it 10+ times a day. For the record, his litter box is never "filthy" and neither is my toilet.
    It is until you flush it. And I've never owned a kitten because I tend to want to be the master of the house, not some four legged animal demanding it.

It is until you flush it. And I've never owned a kitten because I tend to want to be the master of the house, not some four legged animal demanding it.

My last post about kitty poop, I promise. Craig, a google search on the germs found in your (and my) kitchen, will reveal that the bathroom is really quite clean compared to our kitchen sponge, kitchen sink and surrounding areas. Truly. As for my kitty being demanding, cat's are one of the cleanest pets of all, thankfully, and my husband and I take turns with the pooper scooper. Plus he's so damn cute (the kitten, not my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
    Plus he's so damn cute (the kitten, not my husband).
    And for that reason too is why I won't have any furballs in my home. I don't need the competition (can't afford to).

When the powers that be determine that your perfectly good street free of potholes, cracks or other problems needs to be re-paved and proceed to do so with little or no warning thereby trapping you in your house resulting in missing appointments and long overdue lunches with good friends. Never mind that the animals hate the noise and the smell of fresh asphalt. Grrrr....

Wow you should be so lucky my street in Kalihi haven't been repaved in decades, must less inspected even.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    Wow you should be so lucky my street in Kalihi haven't been repaved in decades, must less inspected even.
    Which makes my point perfectly. Why a street in good condition gets unnecessary work when your street desperately needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    Which makes my point perfectly. Why a street in good condition gets unnecessary work when your street desperately needs it?
    Hmmm...maybe a high ranking politician lives on it?

Listening to my niece and nephew at dinner last night.

Niece is 26, and wants to "chuck it all" to go and try to live on a beach in Hawai`i, and make a living as an artist and surfer. *sigh...* (Yes - you folks in the Islands have heard it all before; how many threads are there here, from people with that same dream?)

Meanwhile, the 22-year-old nephew just came back from a week visiting friends on O`ahu - and the stories he told of his behavior tell me that he would have come across as yet another ignorant Mainland "f***in' haole," who thought he was hilarious.

While I don't want to crush the niece's dreams, I had to give her a few reality checks about the costs of "paradise." The nephew? He's too young to give a crap right now, I'm afraid. They are good kids, and smart, but still have a lot of learning ahead of them, that's for certain.

Angry Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    I think it is truly criminal how terrible the condition of our streets are.
    No where else that I've driven, unless on an actual dirt road has been as bad.

It's destroying our vehicles, while we're paying fairly high road use fees and taxes.

Sheesh!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    I think it's for some kind of auto sale, but I will listen more carefully. Right or wrong, I'll respond next time I hear it. If I knew it to be a weekly test, I certainly wouldn't have btchedi about it.
    OK! So today on KSSK FM at approximately 2:52 p.m. I heard what sounds like a Civil Defense buzz alert on the radio. Given the two massive earthquakes and subsequent tsunamis generated around the pond today, I purposely went up to the radio to ascertain what it was: a sale at BEST BUY. This time I had my office manager listening to it with me. She agreed with me that sirens or emergency signals should be used for advertising. Anyone else hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    OK! So today on KSSK FM at approximately 2:52 p.m. I heard what sounds like a Civil Defense buzz alert on the radio. Given the two massive earthquakes and subsequent tsunamis generated around the pond today, I purposely went up to the radio to ascertain what it was: a sale at BEST BUY. This time I had my office manager listening to it with me. She agreed with me that sirens or emergency signals should be used for advertising. Anyone else hear it?
    You must have meant SHOULD NOT BE, right?

I never heard such a Best Buy ad using that. Are you sure it was part of their ad, and not a test by Civil Defense immediately before it?

Ever since the 2004 Indonesian quake and tsunami tragedy, I've notice more and more CD buzz alerts on the radio. Possibly in response to any significant seismic events around the Pacific Basin.

The Pacific's "Ring of Fire" has been quite active lately, including that deadly quake in Peru just recently. Scary.

With that, NOAA's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is a good site to keep bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    You must have meant SHOULD NOT BE, right?

I never heard such a Best Buy ad using that. Are you sure it was part of their ad, and not a test by Civil Defense immediately before it?

Ever since the 2004 Indonesian quake and tsunami tragedy, I've notice more and more CD buzz alerts on the radio. Possibly in response to any significant seismic events around the Pacific Basin.

The Pacific's "Ring of Fire" has been quite active lately, including that deadly quake in Peru just recently. Scary.

With that, NOAA's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is a good site to keep bookmarked.
    yup! my mistake. I really don't think it was a drill folllowed by a best buy ad.

I hate the EAS sound. I think I preferred the older EBS sound.

In order to broadcast the EAS beeps (for the monthly EAS test) one must enter the four digit code on the EAS console.

I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons. Continued use of this signal for non-emergencies or non-CD alerts could cause one to turn a deaf ear when an actual alert is broadcast.

I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons. Continued use of this signal for non-emergencies or non-CD alerts could cause one to turn a deaf ear when an actual alert is broadcast.
    Exactly. Like "crying wolf".

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

PPoD a couple of days ago was people who have higher degrees or specialized certifications and think said degrees/certs give them a pass to act condescendingly towards others.

i was gonna describe what happened to inspire this post but since it's work related, i can't. *sigh*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons.
    On the contrary, it's mandated to be tested weekly. It was suspended for a short bit after 9/11 because everyone was so jittery.

Now, depending on the alert - in a real alert you'll also have the old EBS style tone.

Me, when I hear those 3 long burst, I listen. If the next thing I hear is 3 short bursts, all is well. If I hear something else, like a EBS tone, ugly stuff is happening.

Learned today that I didn't get a job I was trying for (though I was "first runner-up," you might say.) From the original application date until today, it took three months of time, during which I had three interviews with 'em.

Ah well...onwards. You never know when these things will turn out to be for the better. Got a kanikapila tonight; that's bound to make me feel good.

Might be a pet peeve of the year rather than the day *sigh*

After almost two years post brain surgery, my oldest is starting to seize again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Might be a pet peeve of the year rather than the day *sigh*

After almost two years post brain surgery, my oldest is starting to seize again.
    Crap. I'm praying that your child will stabilize with new treatment. It's a really scary thing to lose total control of all your faculties and be unable to do anything about it. I hope, most of all, that the seizures are not the result of a new lesion forming.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    Crap. I'm praying that your child will stabilize with new treatment. It's a really scary thing to lose total control of all your faculties and be unable to do anything about it. I hope, most of all, that the seizures are not the result of a new lesion forming.

Miulang
    She's an 'uncontrollable' epileptic and has three anomaly areas, one in the left occipital area, one in the right hemisphere and one in the hypothalamus area (deep central). She was gridded for 10 days but wouldn't seize during it so the docs couldn't localize a particular focci....so they took out what was showing as abnormal sparking. They don't normally operate on kids with involvement in both hemispheres, but they made an exception since the sparking was so strong there.

Her doc, Dr Chugani, worked with a kid living there in Hawaii and hears from him every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    She's an 'uncontrollable' epileptic and has three anomaly areas, one in the left occipital area, one in the right hemisphere and one in the hypothalamus area (deep central). She was gridded for 10 days but wouldn't seize during it so the docs couldn't localize a particular focci....so they took out what was showing as abnormal sparking. They don't normally operate on kids with involvement in both hemispheres, but they made an exception since the sparking was so strong there.

Her doc, Dr Chugani, worked with a kid living there in Hawaii and hears from him every so often.
    Yeow. Isn't that the way it always is, though? Nothing bad ever shows up when they're watching. Is there a possibility that she can "outgrow" most of the seizures, or will they have to keep testing her to identify the location of abnormal waves and hope they can find them and treat them?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast