X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Grr. Criminals who steal your Visa card number (debit, not credit),[...]
    HOLEYfrigginMOLEY, PZ. That's a peeve so huge as to deserve it's own thread! Do you have any idea how they got your number? Binoculars? Over the shoulder? Employee? Plus hundreds of other ways, of course. So sorry you have to go thru that.

Comment

Criminals who steal your Visa card number (debit, not credit), spoof a card, and go on a shopping spree
      OUCH! That's the kind of thing that makes me want to utter words that are not acceptable for this forum.

I had a credit-card number stolen off the internet once (which is why I never use a debit-card on the 'net); I caught it almost immediately, when I saw a $600 purchase made online at The Gap (another reason I check my accounts daily.) I called the credit union while it was still a "pending" transaction - and the employee said they didn't see the charge on the account.

The next day, it went through as "approved." The credit union called me to apologize for their failure to catch it, and of course, would not hold me responsible for any of it - but I still had to go through the hassle of getting a new card, and making some changes in transactions that were automatically charged to the now-dead card.

Bastards. Sorry that you got to join the club, Ryan.

Comment

I'm not sure how they got the card number, but as an online shopper, I have more than a few 'touch points' out there that could've been compromised. I'll definitely be more careful to use a Visa credit card out and about rather than a Visa debit. The latter is, as they say, actual money!

What I find interesting is that the criminals must've made an actual physical card with my account information, since it wasn't just an online shopping spree. They actually went drivin' around, spendin' until there was nothing left. There were $500 and $600 purchases at "Linens and Things," $300 at Marshalls, $74 (!!!) at KFC, $74 at "Brownsville Liquor Store," $30 at ExxonMobil, $15 at McDonald's in Brooklyn... all last night and this morning.

Our family has $7 to its name, not counting some savings. Eep! Fortunately, the bank was nice and we've requested provisional credit, in the mean time getting a small cash infusion from Jen's parents via Western Union. Who'd a thunk such an old-school business still serves a need in this wired age?

Comment

I'm pretty sure I wasn't spending $600 at Linens & Things in New York last night...
          Doesn't it suck to watch someone having more fun with your money than you ever do?

I went through the same thing when my laptop was stolen: I didn't know it at first, but my debit card was in the same bag. It was very, very, very inconvenient, not to mention demoralizing, but it all eventually worked out okay. I was determined not to let any of it stress me out.

I've had one credit card rack up an unauthorized charge, and my credit card company took care of that immediately.

It's just a hazard of electronic life nowadays, and I think we can all expect it to happen once or twice. I don't think it's worth stressing about, beyond reasonable precautions.

Sorry for your misfortune; did your guest end up paying for lunch, or did you have a plan b?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I woulda loved the PA system today!
            You might get away with it. For me it would just be another way to get in trouble. With my luck they'd walk over to my car and start a fight.

You still got your flip video with you? YouTube.

Comment

I'll definitely be more careful to use a Visa credit card out and about rather than a Visa debit.
              Sorry, you've had to learn that the hard way. I try to tell people about that when the subject comes up. I've had my credit card forged a few times. A bit of a hassle, but not that big of a deal.

The worst was when my check book was stolen. The guy drained the account. I had to borrow money from my mom to get though the weekend until the bank opened. Then I had to close that account and open a new checking account. You know, with those "beginner checks" that nobody will touch? And wait a few weeks for the new ATM card. Now that sucked.

So, every time First Hawaiian sends me a new "ATM" card, I have to call them up and tell them "No, I don't WANT a debit card - I want an ATM card!"

As for how they stole it, there's any number of ways. "Second swipe" by a casher, especially at restaurants where the waitress disappears from your view with your card. Perhaps some "black box" inserted between that card swipe machine and the register. Or some stolen mail (is your mailbox secured?). Then again, they might have just guessed your number. The crooks know how to make numbers that look good. If it happens to match your account, guess what happens? Frankly, I think on-line theft is the least of your worries. Yeah, it gets the most press, but that's not the most common method. Or so I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I woulda loved the PA system today! I was stopped at a red light at Paki and Monserrat when a lady wanted to cross from one side of Paki to the other. The crosswalk was 4 car lengths away but...NO...she insisted on stopping traffic both ways to avoid walking the extra 40 or so feet. She had to stop directly in front of my car to avoid getting hit by a car that didn't see her in the next lane. Woulda been fun to broadcast loudly..."You're crossing the street illegally!" while she was such a captive audience!
                Just watch out for this old lady.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                  Just watch out for this old lady.
                  Teeeeeheeeee

Comment

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Well...wouldn't you flush an unflushed filthy toilet before using it too?

LOL! Obviously, you've never had an indoor kitten. If you cleaned their litter box every time they used it, that's all you'd be doing, since they use it 10+ times a day. For the record, his litter box is never "filthy" and neither is my toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                      LOL! Obviously, you've never had an indoor kitten. If you cleaned their litter box every time they used it, that's all you'd be doing, since they use it 10+ times a day. For the record, his litter box is never "filthy" and neither is my toilet.
                      It is until you flush it. And I've never owned a kitten because I tend to want to be the master of the house, not some four legged animal demanding it.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        It is until you flush it. And I've never owned a kitten because I tend to want to be the master of the house, not some four legged animal demanding it.

My last post about kitty poop, I promise. Craig, a google search on the germs found in your (and my) kitchen, will reveal that the bathroom is really quite clean compared to our kitchen sponge, kitchen sink and surrounding areas. Truly. As for my kitty being demanding, cat's are one of the cleanest pets of all, thankfully, and my husband and I take turns with the pooper scooper. Plus he's so damn cute (the kitten, not my husband).

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                          Plus he's so damn cute (the kitten, not my husband).
                          And for that reason too is why I won't have any furballs in my home. I don't need the competition (can't afford to).
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

When the powers that be determine that your perfectly good street free of potholes, cracks or other problems needs to be re-paved and proceed to do so with little or no warning thereby trapping you in your house resulting in missing appointments and long overdue lunches with good friends. Never mind that the animals hate the noise and the smell of fresh asphalt. Grrrr....

Comment

Wow you should be so lucky my street in Kalihi haven't been repaved in decades, must less inspected even.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                                Wow you should be so lucky my street in Kalihi haven't been repaved in decades, must less inspected even.
                                Which makes my point perfectly. Why a street in good condition gets unnecessary work when your street desperately needs it?

Comment

Working...
                                X