Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 258

Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

  1. #126

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    I support the strikers only because of the issues involved.
    And what are the issues involved? The reported stories I've heard suggest the workers are not resonable.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
    A little late maybe, but...... for the future....... I always keep a can of fix-a-flat in my car. I am forever driving on almost bald tires (how does that happen?) Fix-a-flat has saved my butt on more than one occasion.
    The old Fix a Flat came with propane as it's propellant. Meaning when a tire man whacked the rim (steel rim) the potential for an explosion was very real.

    The new Fix a Flat doesn't come with a flammable propellant but that doesn't mean old stock isn't still on the shelves.

    One problem with Fix a Flat in general is it pretty much renders your rim unusable because of all the foam left inside and it won't cure really badly dented rims.

    I keep one of those 12-vdc impact wrenches and am thinking of picking up one of those 12-vdc motor powered scissors jacks. It takes a bit more time than fix a flat but it get's you up and running faster than the stock OEM crap the dealer supplies you.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kalihi
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Are you saying there's some kind of law that says picketers can block traffic for 2 or 3 minutes? I assume that's what you mean, since you say HPD is "responsible" to "enforce" that, and the only thing a cop can "enforce" is a law.
    Can you please provide a link to that law? I'm really curious about this. Thanks!
    I doubt that it's a law and I didn't mean to imply that. I am only expressing what I have experienced while waking the picket lines for three months, way back in 1984. We were told that once a vehicle approached we had two to three minutes to clear the entry way. The police officer would then tell us to stop and allow the vehicles to enter. Yesterday while at the stop light on Liliha and Vineyard the police officer did just that. He stopped the cars until the last guy on the line reached the end of the driveway then stopped the picketers and allowed the cars to enter. LikaNui please excuse me if my choice of words are wrong and imply the wrong thing. So I guess what I meant is that HPD is there to be sure that the picketers stop walking and allow the vehicles to enter. Where the two to three minutes came from I cannot say, all I know is that is what we were told back then. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kalihi
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    And what are the issues involved? The reported stories I've heard suggest the workers are not resonable.
    You can either read the Dec. 18, 2007 issue of the Star Bulletin or go to www.hawaiiteamsters.com and read it there.

  5. #130

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I keep one of those 12-vdc impact wrenches and am thinking of picking up one of those 12-vdc motor powered scissors jacks. It takes a bit more time than fix a flat but it get's you up and running faster than the stock OEM crap the dealer supplies you.
    Agree with you on that one. I rotated my tires recently and those wheels have not been touched since they rolled off the assembly line (to the best of my knowledge), and I tried using the OEM tools provided in the trunk, could not budge a single bolt. I hate to be trying to do that on the side of a road with a flat in the middle of the night. I had to resort to using an impact wrench to loosen those bolts.

  6. #131

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I keep one of those 12-vdc impact wrenches and am thinking of picking up one of those 12-vdc motor powered scissors jacks. It takes a bit more time than fix a flat but it get's you up and running faster than the stock OEM crap the dealer supplies you.
    The jack that came with my car is fine. For removing the nuts, I picked up one of those large wrenches that are shaped like a cross (or an X ). It gives you good leverage on the nuts and I think it's more reliable then a powered version. If you have to use an impact wrench on the wheels, then the nuts are probably too tight and may be at risk of warping something (like your rotors). The correct torque for wheel nuts is surprising low.

  7. #132

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    The jack that came with my car is fine. For removing the nuts, I picked up one of those large wrenches that are shaped like a cross (or an X ). It gives you good leverage on the nuts and I think it's more reliable then a powered version. If you have to use an impact wrench on the wheels, then the nuts are probably too tight and may be at risk of warping something (like your rotors). The correct torque for wheel nuts is surprising low.

    But tell that to the guys who install, rotate and service my tires. I know how to change a flat, but last time I had one I had to wait for rescue on H-2 and pay someone to do it because the nuts were on so tight that I couldn't budge them.
    Bloggin my way to the big time

    http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Must admit I rely heavily on AAA and have for about 3 decades. It more than pays for itself every year. Just one tow from Makaha to town makes the membership worthwhile. And, just knowing that a rescue is but a phone call away makes it...priceless! Oh wait, that's Mastercard! Even if I was skilled at changing a tire I wouldn't do it alone at night.

    My car gets 4 used, uncool rims and 4 new tires next Wednesday. Even tho' I was totally uneducated about rims when I bought my car in 2006, I really liked how cool they made my car look. Well, that, and my daughter, when she saw the car for the 1st time, muttered, "Oh my God"!!! Oh well, the new, "fatter" (normal) tires will withstand the potholes better. It still pi$$es me off that the condition of our highways and byways has forced me into this unplanned expenditure.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kihei -currently away at school in NY
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Must admit I rely heavily on AAA and have for about 3 decades. It more than pays for itself every year. Just one tow from Makaha to town makes the membership worthwhile. And, just knowing that a rescue is but a phone call away makes it...priceless! Oh wait, that's Mastercard! Even if I was skilled at changing a tire I wouldn't do it alone at night.
    I agree. If it can't be fixed with the fix-a-flat, I'd call someone (probably my husband). If that didn't work, I'd probably ........ cry?

  10. #135

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbess View Post
    But tell that to the guys who install, rotate and service my tires. I know how to change a flat, but last time I had one I had to wait for rescue on H-2 and pay someone to do it because the nuts were on so tight that I couldn't budge them.
    Yep, I rarely see tire shops tighten the bolts on a wheel with a torque wrench set to the proper setting for the specific car. More often, they just blast them tight with their impact wrenches.

  11. #136

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbess View Post
    But tell that to the guys who install, rotate and service my tires.
    You might want to watch them when they put on your tires. See what kind of tool they use. If it's not a torque wrench, or something that has a setting, go find some place else. They aren't a quality shop.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    On a psycho-tropical vacation avoiding rehab.
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Am at the boy's house in Kapalama. Stupid people lighting sparkler bombs or whatever makes that loud KA-BOOM!

    It's like Beirut.

    Going to take a Benadryl tonight so I can actually get some zzzzzzzz...
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

  13. #138
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    You might want to watch them when they put on your tires. See what kind of tool they use. If it's not a torque wrench, or something that has a setting, go find some place else. They aren't a quality shop.
    In a perfect world, lug nuts are torqued on to the correct ft/lbs. In the real world when it's raining and even a universal cross bar gets mighty slippery when attempting to loosen an impacted lug nut, a battery powered impact wrench is a god send, ditto on the motorized scissors jack.

    I've had my share of sore knuckles and wrists when my grip slips from those shiny chrome plated lug wrenches and I punch the pavement. The pain...the rain...oh man it's like an episode from the incredable Hulk. Plus in my "getting up there in years" age having a bit of powered help comes in handy.

    Fix a Flat is a nice remedy for that moment but that moment in haste amounts to dollars in waste when you have to replace that tire on that rim.

    Oh and for you Liberty Mutual customers, if you take advantage of their roadside emergency plan, remember every time you call for a tow or any roadside emergency, it's considered a claim, and we all know once you file a claim with your insurance carrier...rates go up.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  14. #139

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    So where did you find these 12V powered tools?

  15. #140
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Checker Automotive for the crap stuff or that mail order catalog Heartland

    This is one neat catalog for people that like to buy stuff.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  16. #141

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Checker Automotive for the crap stuff or that mail order catalog Heartland

    This is one neat catalog for people that like to buy stuff.
    I like to buy stuff. I'd be better off without the temptation of sites like that, though!

    That's a pretty nifty wrench, especially for someone like me with joint problems. I should probaby get one and keep it in my car, ya think? I could do that without looking at all the other nifty stuff in the catalog ... I think. Well, maybe. Or ... um ... maybe not. They really do have some very tempting stuff.
    Bloggin my way to the big time

    http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

  17. #142

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    I get a letter from my bank (FHB) saying they "noticed" that I have both an ATM card and a Debit card - so they'll cancel my ATM card. I don't use the debit card and I refuse to use it. I never asked for the Debit card. It's all a tactic to get to to use their Debit card.

    One nasty-gram, coming up....

  18. #143

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I get a letter from my bank (FHB) saying they "noticed" that I have both an ATM card and a Debit card - so they'll cancel my ATM card. I don't use the debit card and I refuse to use it. I never asked for the Debit card. It's all a tactic to get to to use their Debit card.

    One nasty-gram, coming up....
    Most debit cards function as an ATM card as well. Maybe FHB was simply implying that? You can just use your debit card as the ATM card and never use it for debit purchases. Of course, not knowing your details, maybe that's not the case here.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Most debit cards function as an ATM card as well. Maybe FHB was simply implying that? You can just use your debit card as the ATM card and never use it for debit purchases. Of course, not knowing your details, maybe that's not the case here.
    My debit card with CPB also acts as a credit and ATM card. I never use it as a debit card as I want the purchase protection of a credit card. The only difference at the check out counter is I have to sign for a credit card purchase.

  20. #145

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Most debit cards function as an ATM card as well. Maybe FHB was simply implying that? You can just use your debit card as the ATM card and never use it for debit purchases.
    Yes, I can use my debit card as a ATM card, but that's not the point. I don't want a debit card connected to my checking account which is my primary operating account. Debit cards carry some ugly risks that I'm not willing to accept. If a crook gets a hold of my info, he can drain the account - and I'll have NO money until I can get the bank to straighten that out. If a crook goes after my credit card, I just don't pay the bill until it gets fixed.

    What's more, a crook doesn't even have to get a hold of my card, they can just guess numbers at random and see what works.

    ATM cards are much safer. They require a PIN and have a daily limit.


    It turns out it wasn't a big deal to fix. A quick phone call got it done. But it still irks me the tactics they used to try and get me on their darn card.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    413

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Today's pet peeve is a double decker.

    1. It really grinds my gears when cops hired to direct traffic around construction sites instead stand around and gawk at the heavy machinery. Many times have I driven through the intersection of Liliha & Kuakini to find myself flung into an anarchistic game of Chicken. I wonder how much the officers were getting paid to face their backsides to traffic.

    2. And to the cop in the G35 sedan at the intersection of Kaimuki and 10th yesterday morning: Can you at least slow down at friggin stop signs?! This numbnut was a fraction of a second and a few feet off from sideswiping me as I puttered down Kaimuki Ave. His bubble wasn't lit and he was motoring through the stop like it wasn't even there. Thankfully, he saw me and slammed on his brakes at the last second.

    But before anyone gets on my case about having it in for cops, please note that I have both friends and relatives in HPD. The majority of the department actually does a fine job. But no one gets a pass just because of what they do or who they are, at least not from me.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Please don't call it "Frisco"
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Yes, I can use my debit card as a ATM card, but that's not the point. I don't want a debit card connected to my checking account which is my primary operating account.
    I'm with you 100%. Wells Fargo has sent me a debit card several times to replace my ATM card and I've refused it for the exact reasons you mention. I cut them up and call them to ensure that they send me an ATM-only card and that no debit card is associated with my account.

    Do not need to have a direct pipeline to my funds to be such a "convenience" for myself, much less anyone else.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    The main drain in my condo backed up, causing a gross overfill of rancid water in my bathtub. Bleck!

    It took blood, sweat and tears of dedicated work from Sean of Roto Rooter over 3 hours trying to snake it, finally resorting to removing the toilet to get to the main drain. Just a mess.

    Fortunately things are back to normal after paying over $300 for him to clear it.

    I highly endorse Roto Rooter. Good people work for them.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    The main drain in my condo backed up, causing a gross overfill of rancid water in my bathtub. Bleck!

    It took blood, sweat and tears of dedicated work from Sean of Roto Rooter over 3 hours trying to snake it, finally resorting to removing the toilet to get to the main drain. Just a mess.

    Fortunately things are back to normal after paying over $300 for him to clear it.

    I highly endorse Roto Rooter. Good people work for them.
    The main drain? Reimbursable by the association, I hope.

    Be glad you aren't living under unethical "rules" that don't allow a contractor on the premises for an emergency on a Sunday. I had backed up water flowing from my bathroom sink thru my living room. Every time someone in a unit above me used water it backed up in my unit. The resident manager refused to allow a plumber to enter the property. I was told many times that day that I'd have to wait until Monday.

    After 7 hours of yelling, screaming, mopping and scrubbing I finally threatened a law suit. At 7p on a Sunday night in Makaha, a plumber finally was allowed in. He diagnosed the blockage to be in a common pipe. Res. mgr. then refused to pay the $300.00 bill on behalf of the association. I paid it and took the association to small claims court. The management company's property manager settled out of court for the full amount plus filing and serving fees, after the board of directors tried for 2 months to negotiate a partial payment with me. There was no bloody way I was going to fall for that kind of ór@p!

    Our annual meeting in March promises to have entertainment value beyond any circus sideshow as I'm not alone by a long shot when it comes to ridiculous experiences with this dude who was hired 2.5 years ago. He's been on the job 2.49 years too long. My seat belt is fastened!

    There! I feel better now so I'll return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    This is sick!!!!

    Five members of the Hawaii state senate are now poised to cross into no-mans land. Banning smoking in people's own homes!! - even if it isn't bothering anybody. In other words Zysman at Tobacco Free Hawaii can't sleep at night knowing that there are couples that are enjoying a smoke in their own bedroom before they go to sleep at night. She can't stand it.

    This bill is for public housing, next on the firing line is YOUR condo. Just ask the folks of Belmont, CA. It's already happened.

    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...?billno=SB2408

    I plan to go down to the capital in person for this, feel free to private message me - you can make a real difference. It's time to put this bigotry to an end.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •