Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 258

Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

  1. #151
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    this dude who was hired 2.5 years ago. He's been on the job 2.49 years too long. My seat belt is fastened!

    There! I feel better now so I'll return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

    Well look on the bright side, at least he's qualified by at least 0.01 years Ahh the joys of communal living eh?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well look on the bright side, at least he's qualified by at least 0.01 years Ahh the joys of communal living eh?
    I've resided "communally" since 1990 and have never experienced or witnessed the chaos that's currently in progress. Ooooowheeee, baby...it's getting uglier by the day!

  3. #153

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Public expectoration. Never understood why it's socially acceptable to hork up and phoot out a weighty hocker while strolling down the sidewalk.

    No, I don't want to fine people who do this (as some countries do), I just wish folks were raised to think of this as a private activity, like urination, dental cleansing, or cell-phone conversations.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I've resided "communally" since 1990 and have never experienced or witnessed the chaos that's currently in progress. Ooooowheeee, baby...it's getting uglier by the day!
    Well there's always a first eh? Just be thankful it's your sinks that are backing up and not the toilets.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Haiku & Iolekaa Valley(s)
    Posts
    1,092

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    I just got back from walking Manele & Koele their daily 2 mile constitutional and my pet peeve of everyday is seeing large piles of dog crap or small ones that come from two illegal acts, walking and not picking up after your pet or letting it run around freely. I really hate that! And believe me, it's not fun carrying plastic bags of crap around but it's gotta be done. What I do is if they do it early in the walk I leave the bag for pickup on the way home, only once have I had someone confront me and when I explain the situation they are happy and when I mention that the alternative is quite apparent on any given day. Oh well, there's gotta be something else!

  6. #156
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I've resided "communally" since 1990 and have never experienced or witnessed the chaos that's currently in progress. Ooooowheeee, baby...it's getting uglier by the day!
    Well there's always a first eh? Just be thankful it's your sinks that are backing up and not the toilets.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    I just got back from walking Manele & Koele their daily 2 mile constitutional and my pet peeve of everyday is seeing large piles of dog crap or small ones that come from two illegal acts, walking and not picking up after your pet or letting it run around freely. I really hate that! And believe me, it's not fun carrying plastic bags of crap around but it's gotta be done. What I do is if they do it early in the walk I leave the bag for pickup on the way home, only once have I had someone confront me and when I explain the situation they are happy and when I mention that the alternative is quite apparent on any given day. Oh well, there's gotta be something else!

    I had a neighbor when I lived in Honolulu who's cat crapped in my front yard (cat poo stinks way more than dog crap). One night I stepped in it and decided to take action. I picked up the crap with a shovel and flung it at her front door...SPLAT! When she opened the door the crap fell right on her doorstep.

    I told her to keep her cat from my yard. She told me she can't help it, that cats like to roam. I told her well I can't help it because I don't like cats pooping in my yard and if that cat does it again it may lose one of it's nine lives. Leash laws...it's not just for dogs ya know.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    413

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Craig, that's a classic cat story! I would've done the same thing had I been in your position.

    Cat owners who think it's OK to just let their pets out at night need a good dose of education. Cats on the prowl face a quicker exit from this world not only from vehicular traffic, but feline AIDS as well. And when cats crap on neighbors' yards, it's not just a smelly inconvenience, but a health hazard. Cat feces can harbor all kinds of parasites transmissible to humans, one of which -- Toxoplasma gondii -- is potentially fatal to a human fetus.

    Cats should be walked around the neighborhood on a leash just like a dog. They may not like it at first, but they get used to it. Unfortunately, in all my years of living in Kaimuki, I've only seen one person actually walking their cat.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Haiku & Iolekaa Valley(s)
    Posts
    1,092

    Angry Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I had a neighbor when I lived in Honolulu who's cat crapped in my front yard (cat poo stinks way more than dog crap). One night I stepped in it and decided to take action. I picked up the crap with a shovel and flung it at her front door...SPLAT! When she opened the door the crap fell right on her doorstep.

    I told her to keep her cat from my yard. She told me she can't help it, that cats like to roam. I told her well I can't help it because I don't like cats pooping in my yard and if that cat does it again it may lose one of it's nine lives. Leash laws...it's not just for dogs ya know.
    Oh, I couldn't AGREE with you more - I HATE cat crap and the idiots next door always let their cat(s) roam and they were messing up my side yard. In fact lots of people let their cats roam and at one point when we first moved in we made use of a leftover cat trap from the previous owners and caught and had cats picked up which hopefully was a real pain in the a-- for the owner. I have never bought that junk about cats needing to roam, plenty are just fine in the house. When I lived in my townhouse you'd see a few people actually WALKING A CAT ON A LEASH - I always praised them and let them know we appreciated their following the law. I'll stop ranting again!
    But I DO AGREE! Thanks for reminding me of another thorn that is often in my side every now and then! And, I do see/smell cat crap along the walk.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well there's always a first eh? Just be thankful it's your sinks that are backing up and not the toilets.
    The Sunday plumbing back-up doesn't even register on the Richter Scale of association problems right now. More recent "stuff" has the scale hitting 10.1!

  11. #161
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    The Sunday plumbing back-up doesn't even register on the Richter Scale of association problems right now. More recent "stuff" has the scale hitting 10.1!
    WEll at least you can enjoy your fabulous sunsets from your hale. That is unless you're having association problems with that too like use fees to view the sunset?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    WEll at least you can enjoy your fabulous sunsets from your hale. That is unless you're having association problems with that too like use fees to view the sunset?
    That's next, I'm sure...with cash only payments accepted at the office window. Easier that way to not have to account for it. Red sunsets are seen 24/7 as owners can only see RED right now, no matter what direction they look.

    And the beat goes on...

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Post Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    I just read through a lot of "And the beat goes on" link.

    Really sorry to hear how uncomfortable many are with the situation.
    Hope the BOD does something to correct the problems.

    I've worked at a condo as "Head of security" and "maintenance/landscaping".
    Never wanted to be a resident manager because I saw how stuck in the middle they were. And those guys were trying to do good jobs.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    I just read through a lot of "And the beat goes on" link.
    I've only had time to read some of it; hope to be able to read the rest soon. Curiousity made me look at that condo's website, and it's easy to see why so many owners are up in arms. Messages from the manager chastising the owners... the manager bragging that most of his employees have been there (gasp!) a full year... That makes me think there's been a helluva turnover in employees. Would that be right, TutuSue?

    Hope the BOD does something to correct the problems.
    Well, I wouldn't hold my breath. According to their website, the vice-president of the board is the manager's wife! (I hope she's recused herself from any votes on her husband's job evaluations, raises, etc. If she hasn't, there might be criminal charges to consider.)
    It gets worse.
    It also turns out that the manager is one of the owners there! That's a shocking conflict of interest, and would be a violation of almost every other condo's bylaws.
    I think the only way MSS can solve their problems is to amend their bylaws. Or remove the whole board. Or both.
    The angry owners there should also invest in consulting a good condo attorney. (Perhaps they already have.)
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    The stories get crazier every day but I'd best not go public with them yet. You know that old saying..."caught with his hand in the cookie jar"?... The majority of dissident owner communication is now in email and not on the web site I linked to. LN is pretty much right on the money with his observations. Yes, the turnover has been phenomenal yet, as you noticed LN, RM brags about what the owners consider to be transient employees. The working conditions are horrendous under this regime. Ditto the living conditions.

    This dude asked for and received (from the BoD, which is mired in nepotism) living expenses for a 2 bedroom unit when 1) he and his wife own and lived in a 1 bedroom unit prior to his employment and 2) the assoc. maintains a 1 bdrm. unit for the RM. Currently, as I understand it, a security guard, his wife and FOUR kids live rent free in the RM's assoc. provided unit which is under 400 sq. ft. Six people in -400 sq. ft.? Hellooooooooooo! Not only are we, the owners, paying thru the proverbial nose for RM and his BoD VP wife's living expenses, we're not getting a dime back from the assoc. provided unit to help offset the RMs expense demands.

    As far as a good condo attorney is concerned, the ones we've called all have ties to the management company so they don't want to get involved in a conflict of interest situation. Our 3rd assoc. attorney in 2.5 years resigned last week and 4th attorney just came on board. As we recently found out, the attorneys are for the use of the BoD and the RM...not the owners. Whatta revelation! Our maintenance fees in action!

    Our by-laws are desperately in need of change...as are the house rules...the management company...the BoD...and the RM. Our annual meeting is March 3. Wish us luck.
    Last edited by tutusue; January 29th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.

  16. #166

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Our annual meeting is March 3. Wish us luck.
    The fastest way to change is to elect a new board. But unless you get some proxies in your favor or have a sizable show at the annual meeting, that's not going to happen. The big issue is the proxies. Usually it's the BOD or just the president that controls the proxy votes. He who controls the proxies just about controls the game board.

    It may be too late for you to register as an alternate for soliciting proxies, but if I was in your shoes, that's exactly what I'd be doing.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    The fastest way to change is to elect a new board. But unless you get some proxies in your favor or have a sizable show at the annual meeting, that's not going to happen. The big issue is the proxies. Usually it's the BOD or just the president that controls the proxy votes. He who controls the proxies just about controls the game board.

    It may be too late for you to register as an alternate for soliciting proxies, but if I was in your shoes, that's exactly what I'd be doing.
    Yes, we're aware that, in this case, proxies are everything. We have a very dedicated team of owners and Waianae Coast realtors soliciting proxies and did not just depend on the management company's mail out. We've been having regular meetings and regular mail outs to all owners keeping them updated on the situation. Our biggest obstacle is apathetic mainland owner/investors who just don't want to bother with reading anything when they haven't YET been affected. They just check the first box giving the BoD their voting rights and mail it in. We're trying to drive home the point that their investments will continue to tank unless they help to do something about the situation; help, in the form of their proxies. Our team is also doing "other things" <g> that I can't mention here. I've mentioned only those "things" we know the "perpetrators" are aware of!

    Even the local realtors have called for the RM's removal.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    vote of "No Confidence" should rile them up a bit.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,519

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    I can't find the thread this should go on.

    Anyways, Half hour ago I answered my home phone to a fast talking answering machine (female voice). Speaking about a Warranty for my Automobile. I have full coverage which I just renewed in December so I knew it was a SCAM!

    It gave directions to either press certain numbers to be connected or dial nine to be taken off of their list.

    The proper thing to to do is to hang-up and report to Hawantel. They are aware of the Scam and collecting data.

    Did I dial nine?

    Wat you think?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Exclamation Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    I never listened long enough to hear that about dialling numbers.
    Got the call 3 times now over the past year. And I don't own a car!
    HaHa!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Every pet peeve can have a bit of a silver lining, I think. I was headed to an appt. this afternoon when, on Ala Moana right in front of Ala Moana Center, my car decided to passed out! I coasted into the AMC parking lot, called the car doctor and car ambulance (thank GOD for AAA) then had at least one hour to kill as AAA was having a very busy day. Weird!

    Anyway, since I've been known to declare that I'd rather have a root canal than go shopping, AMC had me in it's grip for the duration in spite of my shopophobia. Spent a nice hour wandering around and buying nothing. I knew to stay out of the Apple Store!

    A sweetheart of a car ambulance driver came to my rescue, put the car on a gurney then sped to the car hospital. It was a short walk home.

    The real pet peeve will come tomorrow with the repair bill!

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Exclamation Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    When co-workers under my supervision abuse their "Sick hours" benefit.

    Our policy at work is that after 2 sick days off, the employee needs to bring in a doctor's slip. So I have one guy who has none saved up since he's always using it. Keeps making me scramble for watch coverage.

    Call it gut instinct or suspicion, whatever, but it doesn't fit that a guy gets sick for a day or two a few times a month.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    When co-workers under my supervision abuse their "Sick hours" benefit.

    Our policy at work is that after 2 sick days off, the employee needs to bring in a doctor's slip. So I have one guy who has none saved up since he's always using it. Keeps making me scramble for watch coverage.

    Call it gut instinct or suspicion, whatever, but it doesn't fit that a guy gets sick for a day or two a few times a month.
    Isn't that grounds for dismissal, MM...as long as you know he's not undergoing something serious like chemo? So, he gets past the doctor's slip by not taking off more than 2 days?

    One of my 20-something colleagues was diagnosed with cancer in December. Youth...a great marriage...2 babies...not fair. She has chemo every Thursday which wipes her out thru the week-end. She was hired to work on a movie with full knowledge of her condition by production. Oh wait...you can read about it here. She's my hero. And, so are the producers.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kalihi
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Isn't that grounds for dismissal, MM...as long as you know he's not undergoing something serious like chemo? So, he gets past the doctor's slip by not taking off more than 2 days?

    One of my 20-something colleagues was diagnosed with cancer in December. Youth...a great marriage...2 babies...not fair. She has chemo every Thursday which wipes her out thru the week-end. She was hired to work on a movie with full knowledge of her condition by production. Oh wait...you can read about it here. She's my hero. And, so are the producers.
    ...and the City and State employees get four days before a note is required so that can make for a long weekend, from what I've heard.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    ...and the City and State employees get four days before a note is required so that can make for a long weekend, from what I've heard.
    ...and the Gas Company required a note if you were out more than two days or in conjuction with a weekend, unless you were management.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •