No announcement yet.

What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

I'm considering a 24-Hour Fitness membership so I can workout on a stairclimber or eliptical trainer at 4 a.m. to get me out from under this jelly belly.

What do you do to stay fit? When do you do it?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

Kendo, several times per week.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      What do you do to stay fit? When do you do it?
      Evidently, not enough. After spending the last 24 hrs. in the ER for gall bladder/pancreas problems possibly related to type 2 diabetes, diet and excercise, diet and excercise. Time to get deadly serious about it.

When I was a bit younger, I did a step aerobics class at Gold's Gym 3 times a week in the mornings. After a year, I was down 40+ pounds and cut.

Comment

I started an exercise regime that includes lots of weight training, some swimming and not enough cardio (I hate cardio). I haven't lost much weight, but my clothes fit better and I feel really good. My blood pressure is down and I think I'm taller. That sounds weird, but when I was measured during some tests, I came in a half-inch taller then the last time I was measured with the same type of instrument. Hummmm.....

Comment

Drugs. Well, you know what I mean...a few prescriptions (small amounts for blood pressure and cholesterol, plus daily aspirin regimen.)
          Eating smaller portions at mealtimes.
          More liquids with less sugars.
          Lots of good, deep sleep (people tend to forget how critical this is to good health.)
          As for exercise, I walk a LOT; sometimes just a long walk, sometimes a more energetic up-the-hill one. I also get to a health club at least once a week (I joined one about eight years ago, through my former job, and have kept the membership going.)

Comment

Yoga, walking, swimming, 8 hrs of sleep and a good diet. Oh yeah, & a healthy attitude.

Comment

When do I do it? Yoga 3-4 times a week - vary the routine - emphasis on stretching, walking -whenever I can (I can put in a good couple of miles at work without trying-long halls), swimming - every morning when I'm home - only in the ocean. At school all I have is a pool - ugh. And it's only open for like 2 hours twice a week. Sleep-every night (except when I'm trying to get over jet lag) and the healthy attitude? I laugh a lot. How does the song go? "Always look on the bright side of life...." (everybody sing.....)

Comment

My cholesterol went down from 242 to 206 since June. (applause)
                I have a Bun and Thigh Roller I use once a day for five minutes with the video.

I also started the Nicotine Patch ~ four days.

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; September 5, 2007, 04:29 PM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Every weekday morning for at least 90min I am in the gym. I do other stuff, too, but that I consider extra-curricular, because it isn't part of my morning routine, which is vital to me. I lift weights (circuit train) for an hour and do cardio for a 1/2 hr, every morning. I freaking hate doing cardio, but I enjoy the rush afterwards. I love, love, love lifting weights. I worked with a few trainers for a couple of years, and am at this place in my life where I appreciate the solitude of doing it all by myself and journaling my progress.

If I make it on Sunday mornings, I go to a yoga class that I really dig (about 90min long). Sometimes, if I can get there early enough, I walk around the park waiting for my son to finish fb practice (this is a seasonal thing, but I enjoy that afternoon sunshine exposure).

The hardest challenge I had was trying to mesh the whole "weight loss" philosophies of Weight Watchers (when I was an active member) and the "bulk/cut" philosophies of weight training. I had to find my groove, and along the way, developed the least patience for the aspects of the industry that aims at women (if I hear "use less weight at higher reps and get more toned" I might scream). I have come to realize the strengths of doing "little guy stuff" (pushing one's own weight aiming for efficiency, e.g. chin-ups, push-ups, etc) and "big guy stuff" (dead lifts, squats, power cleans, etc) and that my journey includes doing both.

I will also say that the old adage is true: of the three elements of physical health: stretching, cardio, weight lifting, it is the first that is the basis of all. That is what yoga and pilates classes have given me.

I believe this wholeheartedly: whatever one's preconceived notions are about the gym, get over it and join one. If that gym isn't the best one, find another. Most gyms offer free week passes or special deals; they are there for good reason. Use them.

pax

Comment

I have never belonged to a gym. I have only visited once. For me, I get a lot more done right in my own living room. I guess it is a matter of preference. But I feel very self conscious in a gym with other people.

Comment

I bike ride while I can.
                      I go the the gym, but not enough.

One thing I started to notice lately is my body telling me that I should not eat certain foods anymore.

ie: sugar - I'm really starting to get sugar crashes now, more than ever.I hate the feeling of incapacitation I get from a sugar coma after eating alot of sweets.

Also : To many carbs in one sitting. Carb coma from eating too many carbs at one sitting are just as bad.

As a result, I'm not eating nearly as much of either of these things now.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        I have never belonged to a gym. I have only visited once. For me, I get a lot more done right in my own living room. I guess it is a matter of preference. But I feel very self conscious in a gym with other people.
                        that's awesome. But not everyone has developed the habit to include the proper amount of attention to their fitness in their home. For many, their choices divide into:
                        • exercise or clean the house?
                        • exercise or cook dinner for the family?
                        • exercise or wash dishes?
                        • exercise or do the taxes?
                        • exercise or take a nap?
                        • exercise or <fill in dem blankies>

you know the deal. For those people, my advice stands; if that time cannot be carved out of home time, then get out, and make it a priority by creating/finding that special place to commit to one's health.

pax

Comment

The thing that I do to stay fit and healthy is that I usually walk for about a hour to two hours. I also cut out soda from my diet and been drinking a lot of water.
                          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I'm not fit, yet, not in all ways. I am 30lbs. overweight, and yep, most of it snuck up on me from ages 40 to where I am now, and that's 50. I know better! I was 300lbs. in '75 as I graduated high school, an obese and miserable person. I lost 160lbs. by '81, I think it was, and kept it all off till I had two babies and then I kept 20lbs, total for many years of overweight, and now....ten more pounds snuck on in the last ten years.

However! I never stopped lifting weights and had started close to starting my weight loss regimen in the mid-seventies, not sure the year but I have a humble weightroom here that has a seven foot wide, old universal, pulley-type weight machine and an eliptical next to it. I use the almost every day, but don't manage my time well so far as workouts so I haven't stayed on the eliptical for a half hour in a few mos. now. Again, I know better!

I lift weights sometimes twice a day, and get on the eliptical, putting it on the hardest setting it has and use it for as long as I have, even if just a dozen minutes.

I put on loud music and do a bit of Jazzercise type aerobics but again, not regimented and regularly, and then do a lot of stretches in front of the evening news, while waiting for my tea water to boil in the kitchen, etc.

I am fat but not the couch potato type, and the most sitting I do is at my desk working, or on the internet surfing and replying to emails. I also luv yard work but don't get time to do enough of that.

I also meditate. It's a christian meditation and doesn't have a name, but is sitting in silence and getting out of the incessant stream of thoughts, and silencing the mind instead of just praying in words all of the time.
                            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              that's awesome. But not everyone has developed the habit to include the proper amount of attention to their fitness in their home. For many, their choices divide into:
                              • exercise or clean the house?
                              • exercise or cook dinner for the family?
                              • exercise or wash dishes?
                              • exercise or do the taxes?
                              • exercise or take a nap?
                              • exercise or <fill in dem blankies>

you know the deal. For those people, my advice stands; if that time cannot be carved out of home time, then get out, and make it a priority by creating/finding that special place to commit to one's health.
                              You are absolutely correct. People should do whatever it takes. I tend to do my exercising at night which many also say you should do first thing in the morning. I do my swimming in the mornings but that is only because "Kihei is all about the mornings, yah?" The beach gets nasty once the trades are up. That being said however, I am a firm believer in getting people to do any exercise that suits them. If the idea of getting motivated to go to the gym is what works then great. If you can't stand the idea of driving all that way, getting changed and then doing exercise, or if the cost of joining a gym is prohibitive, then do stuff around the house. Even if its using cans from your cabinet as weights, running up & down the stairs or laying out on your living room floor to do stretches. I also think that if someone has not been in the habit of exercising and is turned off by making a commitment of 20 - 30 minute routines, then do a couple of quick things. Stretch - bend over and try to touch the floor. Then go about your usual business. A little later on, run up the steps at a pace you can handle. Only do it once if that's all you can do. Exercise is contagious. Once you start, you want more. The more you do, the more you want to keep doing it......

Comment

Working...
                              X