No announcement yet.

What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do to stay fit and healthy?

Well, I'm thinking of either two things. Joining the 24HF in Hawaii Kai, or joining the one on Bishop Street, or figuring away to join all clubs at a reasonable price so I can decide where to workout on any given day.

For week days when I ride the bus into town, I can catch the 5:15 express out here and workout at Bishop Street before getting to work at 7 a.m. instead of catching the 5:45 out here and just going straight to work at 6:30. OR I can join the HK 24HF and go over there at 4:15 a.m. and then come home and catch the 5:45 bus out here and get to work as i normally do, at 6:30.

Now that I have an iPhone, I can do my morning pre-work Internet tasks on the bus, which is when I normally read the paper. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Hey! I was in the MidWeek, the one with the potter on the cover...in the section about who's working for who. See it?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I gained 10 pounds this year, so I don't know about "fit and healthy", but...

I do exercise DVDs about 5 to 6 times a week. I wake up at 4:00am on weekdays, and spend 30 to 60 minutes of step or floor aerobics, or a strength or pilates DVD. I used to exercise after work, but my schedule changed and I can only fit it in if I wake up extra early. Feels really good to get it out of the way.

My diet, OTOH, is out of control. I am a carb addict, and I've let my addiction take over me this year. I really need to get my diet on track again. Help!!

Comment

I walk to work almost every day and, whenever possible, walk to supermarkets, department stores, bakeries, etc., instead of driving.

I try to run as much as possible, but I've let it lapse the last month or so, and it's difficult to get my rhythm back. A recent bout of asthma and back problems have slowed me down. I've been a runner for over 35 years (I've done 4 Honolulu Marathons, but all were in the 80s). I really should do some weight lifting.

I've reduced my cholesterol from 377 to 214 (according to my last week's doctor's visit) thanks to exercise, diet, and meds. Now I think I'll have to reduce my carbohydrates a bit (my sugar levels are creeping up to the diabetic level). Unfortunately, I love rice, pasta, bread, and pizza!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          I'm considering a 24-Hour Fitness membership
          Ugh. I checked out the downtown one once. I felt like I had gone to a used car lot. The more I hesitated, the cheaper the price got. It was also clear to me that they sold a lot of other stuff and I strongly suspected the price I was getting was to keep me coming in the door to sell me more stuff (vitamins, training, etc.)

Yuck. I ended up at the "Y". Higher monthly price, but it includes more (like towel service) and no one tries to sell me anything.

Comment

Lavagal, being a member of a nice gym or spa can be a blast and the best thing for you. I was a member of a health spa in San Antonio for eight years solid and a member while I lost my 160lbs.

My parents bought me the two year membership and since I lost so much weight I signed so many new members up that were people that knew me and were thrilled at my success, and I earned six free years membership after the two. I married during the eight years and used some dynomite clubs in the San Jose, CA. area which accepted my member card.

It's so cool to workout with others and it helped keep me energized and inspired to work out a lot. I dug the music, AC and mirrors on every wall, and then jumping into the jacuzzi, cold plunge sometimes and pool, plus I used the steam room but hated the dry sauna.

Let us know what you decide. This subject is near and dear to my heart.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

The salesman at the HIK 24HF was very creepy and not even in a funny way. I think they just wanted a body to sell plans. He probably lost his job scrubbing terlets somewhere. I felt that if I had given him a sale, it would affirm his existence, and even though I try to be a considerate and thoughtful human being, in this instance I felt what he really needed was to be sprayed with Raid.

I plan to join online. No weirdos with crusty ears.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I walk...ALOT.

I watch what I eat, and try to keep the drinking to the weekends.

I was into the gym and what not, but haven't been since I left the hotel.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  The salesman at the HIK 24HF was very creepy and not even in a funny way. I think they just wanted a body to sell plans. He probably lost his job scrubbing terlets somewhere. I felt that if I had given him a sale, it would affirm his existence, and even though I try to be a considerate and thoughtful human being, in this instance I felt what he really needed was to be sprayed with Raid.

I plan to join online. No weirdos with crusty ears.
                  had you posted this thread a couple of weeks ago, i could have given you a coupon that would give you the same monthly rate/access that i have. i pay less than $40 a month and can go to any of the 24 hour gyms at any time.

you know what? PM me your address. i'll mail the coupon to you even though the expiration date was august 31st. you never know--they might honor it.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                  X