Strange Goings On.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Goings On.....

Not sure where to put this. This seems as good as any. OK - back story. Many of you know that I have been commuting between HI and NY. It's getting old and truthfully, I am highly qualified for nothing. Which is why I commute. Anyway, I have been actively searching for something full time in HI. I came across an ad for a research position located in Kona for a group doing infrasonics (below hearing range). The ad said - "expertise in digital signal processing, some field work, DOD security clearance required" (that's the short version) So, I said "ok - will deal with security as it comes up" and applied. Then I got an email telling me to contact so & so. This was the lead scientist on the project. He then tells me that they didn't put all the info in the ad. Turns out the job required extensive field work - like trekking through the jungles of Ecuador, Peru and Panama. Each trek takes 3 weeks to reach the stations. I said - yeah right, my idea of camping is the Holiday Inn.

But I got thinking about this and was talking with a few of my collegues and we all agree. How weird is that? What kind of experiments is the government doing now? With the security clearance, it has to be gov't backed. What could they possibly be doing in far-reaching remote jungles of relatively obsure countries involving infrasonics? I have to assume they are detectors of some sort. But for what? Can't be to detect earthquakes. Why would they be hidden in jungles? They have to be hidden, otherwise you should be able to get they by helicoptor or something. They'd clear the land out around the equipment. The guy was very specific in that the trek required slashing through overgrowth and such to get there. I can't imagine these stations would be emitting such low frequencies? Maybe they haven't given up on the "brown frequency"? That's the frequency that supposidly the gov't was trying to make a weapon out of - that was supposed to make you lose control when exposed to that frequency. It's been pretty much disproven - even the "Mythbusters" tackled that one. Anyway, the whole thing left me with many more question than were answered....

Re: Strange Goings On.....

It's 3:19 a.m. Am I sleeping or am I up?

Is this HT and is the above a post by acousticlady?

Hmmm...I go back moemoe. I'll check back tomorrow.

Twilight Zone......

Juss joking.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

And you are ACOUSTICLADY. Wow. So interesting. I wonder who's reading HT now? Anyway, it sounds intriguing, especially if you are up for the miles and if you don't have youngsters and a spouse who depend upon you. it sounds like an adventure, but one I would have taken only if I were ready to turn my back on everything I knew.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        And you are ACOUSTICLADY. Wow. So interesting. I wonder who's reading HT now? Anyway, it sounds intriguing, especially if you are up for the miles and if you don't have youngsters and a spouse who depend upon you. it sounds like an adventure, but one I would have taken only if I were ready to turn my back on everything I knew.
        Nah - that's the problem. I could do the miles. It's the jungles and snakes and lions and tigers and bears - Oh my! I have to keep on looking....... a job is out there for me somewhere .

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          Nah - that's the problem. I could do the miles. It's the jungles and snakes and lions and tigers and bears - Oh my! I have to keep on looking....... a job is out there for me somewhere .
          Wow! You have such an interesting occupation! After posting what you did they might scrap the whole project...maybe was Top Secret?

HAHAHAHA

Hmmm...I would have said they were searching for "Lemurians" but I found out this weekend dat the "Face of Mars" was not true.

With your credentials, there is a job out there for you.

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Well you know, they could tell you, but then they'd have to kill you.

Comment

Google is your friend

Comment

I don't have special tech skills, but wouldn't mind being a pack mule!

Sure sounds interesting in so many ways. HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  And that's just in the office!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Acousticlady, does this fall into the category of ELF waves? is that what infrasonic is? I sure as heck dunno a thing about "infrasonics" so I have to ask. Well, what the heck does the HAARP experiment use? is that ELF? hmmm.....I have plenty of questions...anyone with answers?

My hubby says it actually could be and may be quake related. Hmm, and here I am with a hobby of reading geologists and the infancy of quake prediction and he tells me that, so I googled and yep, it may....be....something to do with trying to predict quakes.

Dig this!

http://www.etl.noaa.gov/about/review/as/bedard/

In fact, dangme for not thinking of this before hubby. Infrasonics can probably be heard or detected by animals. Something.....told the animals that a quake was coming before the huge Christmas, Indonesian quake and tsunami...they all fled before hand, well beforehand and that's why there weren't dead animal carcasses found everywhere. hmmm...fascinating stuff...

another cool link on infrasonics and quakes....
                    http://www.inframatics.org/pdf/infra...ept2003_lo.pdf

One last link and this one about animals, but peripherally....dang good links concerning predicting not only quakes someday, but storms, now....and using infrasonic research.

http://www.animalvoice.com/animalssixthsense.htm

Maybe the jungles cuz of animals...and using the infrasonics to follow anything that sends out inaudible sounds and being able to observe the local animal populations' reactions TO what they see on the meterse.

Sounds like this job may put someone on the cutting edge of the infancy of such things indeed, as quake prediction. Cool beans~

Whoa! link on papers about infrasonic weapons.....just check it out, an easy read...

http://csat.au.af.mil/2025/concepts/900289.HTM
                    Last edited by Karen; September 6, 2007, 03:43 PM.
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                      Acousticlady, does this fall into the category of ELF waves? is that what infrasonic is? I sure as heck dunno a thing about "infrasonics" so I have to ask. Well, what the heck does the HAARP experiment use? is that ELF? hmmm.....I have plenty of questions...anyone with answers?
                      Yes, ELF stands for "extremely low frequencies" which is exactly what infrasonics is. This particular job is listening for nuclear weapon deployment - thanks to GeckoGeek. I don't think I'm taking the job though. I'm really not big on jungles . At least up close and personal. It's too bad they don't have stations in, say, Paris or something.

HAARP is using ultra high frequency electromagnetic waves (like XRays or Gamma Rays) to probe the ionosphere. Different animal.

What I do now deals with musical acoustics - like designing music synthesis programs like Garage Band. Actually, the underlying methods behind the synthesis programs. But it is the same thing as the infrasonics program only at different frequencies. The reason I'm looking for a new job is because of family pressure. I need to be located somewhere in HI. Preferably on Maui or the Big Island. This commuting thing is killing me.

Comment

Howdy again,

whoa! what am I missing here? This job is classified per the need for the clearance, and yet Gecko Geek was able to tell you for sure about it?? huh? I bet there's just sumpin I'm missin, but uh, help! LOl what is it?

Yes, when you google the terms I did..."infrasonics DOD" then you get a lot of pages about confirming nuclear ban treaties, etc. however, a lot of other things come up that this job could.....be, in a jungle. Hmm......well, I am curious so you or Gecko, when convenient please explain to me how Gecko brought you confirmation.

aloha huggz, all~

PS, I LUVV threads like this, that get me to researching online and learning....this is candy, to me!
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Don't know if these guys are hiring, but they are located in the Maui Research and Technology Center down the road from you...and they are not a government subcontractor.

Smart House Digital Architecture

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                            Howdy again,

whoa! what am I missing here? This job is classified per the need for the clearance, and yet Gecko Geek was able to tell you for sure about it?? huh? I bet there's just sumpin I'm missin, but uh, help! LOl what is it?

Yes, when you google the terms I did..."infrasonics DOD" then you get a lot of pages about confirming nuclear ban treaties, etc. however, a lot of other things come up that this job could.....be, in a jungle. Hmm......well, I am curious so you or Gecko, when convenient please explain to me how Gecko brought you confirmation.

aloha huggz, all~

PS, I LUVV threads like this, that get me to researching online and learning....this is candy, to me!
                            Ha ha - He just posted a link to the group's home page. Didn't think of checking that. I just went by the info in the job announcement. It just tells you basic info. You're right though. They aren't about to tell everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              Don't know if these guys are hiring, but they are located in the Maui Research and Technology Center down the road from you...and they are not a government subcontractor.

Smart House Digital Architecture

Miulang
                              Cool - thanks. Something in the tech center would actually be perfect for me. And my mom would be estatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X