Big Island Weekly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Island Weekly

When I was in Hilo this past weekend, I picked up a copy of the Big Island Weekly's September 12 issue. I really enjoyed the paper. Lots of good articles; lots of advertising. I'm a fan of Los Lonely Boys, and the paper carried a good interview. The article "Facing the Future in Punaluu" is very interesting and does a nice job of presenting both sides of the proposed development issue(s). Nice little pub...

http://www.bigislandweekly.com/read/news/

Re: Big Island Weekly

I never knew there was a Big Island Weekly.
    It's not related to Honolulu Weekly. It's apparently owned by Stephens Media group. According to this page, SMG is a partner of Gannett (owner of the Honolulu Advertiser, etc.)
    The company co-owns hawaii.com with Gannett. The company is also a partner in the California Newspapers Partnership with MediaNews and Gannett. Stephens Media LLC is a Las Vegas, Nevada diversified media holding company that publishes over 30 newspapers in 8 states, primarily in Nevada and Arkansas.
    SMG also owns West Hawaii Today and the Hawaii Tribune Herald.
    SMG's website is http://www.stephensmedia.com/ . The list of their newspapers is on this page.
    They're running this ad on the Jobs Offered page of their website:
    Reporter
    Big Island Weekly, an alternative newsweekly based in Hilo, Hawaii, seeks a full-time reporter ready to tackle controversial and intriguing subjects and craft stories combining depth, clarity and flair. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of reporting experience, strong clips and an eagerness to contribute to the newspaper's success on all levels. Big Island Weekly is a small operation, requiring self-motivated staffers to write lots of stories, edit freelance submissions, proof pages and even take out the trash once in a while. The job offers an immersive journalism experience in an incredible tropical setting.
    Send cover letter, resume and at least six clips to Geoff Schumacher, Publisher, Big Island Weekly, 1111 W. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, NV 89106, or e-mail to gschumacher@reviewjournal.com.
    According to this article from Yahoo Finance, the company is into gaming (read, gambling), and "Stephens Media Group is owned by the Stephens Group, an Arkansas-based investment firm."
    Very interesting.
    Especially the Gannett connection.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

didn't the Honolulu Weekly buy out Hawaiʻi Island Journal last year? Between the two, I prefer the HIJ over BIW. I will grab both of these and that right wing rag (name escapes me at the moment), because they are all free, and I am a word wh%re.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        didn't the Honolulu Weekly buy out Hawaiʻi Island Journal last year? Between the two, I prefer the HIJ over BIW. I will grab both of these and that right wing rag (name escapes me at the moment), because they are all free, and I am a word wh%re.

I didn't see the HIJ, but I did pick up a copy of the Hawaii Free Press -- contributing writers include Malia Zimmerman -- and the pub notes that "Hawaii Free Press features content from www.HawaiiReporter.com., so I don't need to decsribe the content.

At first I thought the BIW was affiliated with Honolulu Weekly, but as I discovered, and LikaNui pointed out, it's a different outfit altogether, hence the new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          I am a word wh%re.
          And that's why we all love ya, PM!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
          X