X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's your favorite local comedian?

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Ouch.

I'm voting for Greg Hammer, Paul Ogata and Rodney Villanueva (all current or former radio jocks). If you're planning a wedding or other major private party, DO consider hiring one of them as MC.[...]
    Ouch, indeed!

I've attended events MCed by the 3 you mention above. All were hysterically funny. But, gotta say...word for word, Paul got the biggest, lengthiest laughs! And that from a ballroom full of creative types. There's a reason Paul moved to the mainland. IMNSHO...he's got what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Ouch, indeed!

I've attended events MCed by the 3 you mention above. All were hysterically funny. But, gotta say...word for word, Paul got the biggest, lengthiest laughs! And that from a ballroom full of creative types. There's a reason Paul moved to the mainland. IMNSHO...he's got what it takes.
      i second that opinion, with gusto. i've fake-smiled or even yawned my way thru villanueva and hammer's performances that i've been to, as they sometimes seemed more into talking to hear themselves talk than to be in tune with the audience. paul is a god--dogs with pink then not so pink butts and all (go look at his myspace site if you don't know what i'm talking about).

hmmm...i guess if i post in the "what are you really like" thread, i should say i'm just as unabashedly bitchily critical in real life as i am on HT. at the same time, i am equally and joyously enthusiastic about those whom/which i feel deserve that enthusiasm.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well, if the poll can include ex-pats (like Paul), then I would write-in Kermet Apio. Even when I've seen him and heard the same material many times, there's something about his delivery that still cracks me up. His monthly columns are archived here.

While I've heard his very funny "Mental Oriental" CD, I have yet to experience the pleasure of seeing Paul Ogata perform live; I look forward to seeing him perform someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Ouch.

I'm voting for Greg Hammer, Paul Ogata and Rodney Villanueva (all current or former radio jocks). If you're planning a wedding or other major private party, DO consider hiring one of them as MC. They'll have everyone on the FLOOR. Their quick wit is amazing. Just be prepared to be teased and comically-humiliated at the expense of yourself for the benefit of everyone else.
          It's just that most of the ethnic humor they do is not too PC with me these days. Making fun of races is all most of them do. I really don't like comedians that are one trick ponies. Put ANY of these guys on Last Comic Standing and they won't make it pass the auditions.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
            Where's the none of the above op button? IMO, none of those above are really funny. Rap was the most talented and cleaver of this bunch.
            Originally posted by alohabear View Post
            It's just that most of the ethnic humor they do is not too PC with me these days. Making fun of races is all most of them do. I really don't like comedians that are one trick ponies. Put ANY of these guys on Last Comic Standing and they won't make it pass the auditions.

i think that i should point out here that red foxx, margaret cho, richard pryor and others are well known for their ethnic humor. rap, too, did ethnic humor, which was as cleverly sharp as a cleaver. *barumpBUMP!*

as for being PC? i consider comedy an art, and as an art form, it should push the envelope. PC comedy, for me, is often BAD comedy. it's PC not to make fun of the president, but saturday night live does, every weekend, and has done so decades.

i'll also point out here that paul ogata won "funniest asian american in the US," has appeared on the david letterman show, performs regularly at the laugh factory and the improv in hollywood, as well as does shows in hong kong. many of the contestants on last comic standing have resumes that are more than pale by comparison.

what we see as funny is definitely a personal thing, tho. there's not a comedian everyone will unanimously agree is funny or not funny.

one thing i will agree with you on: gregg hammer? bleh.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Please feel free to check out the bits that follow. If they don't help in familiarizing you with a particular comedian, then hopefully they'll at least make you laugh.:
              Paul Ogata at the Ice House
              Rap Reiplinger from "Rap's Hawaii"
              Augie Tulba
              Andy Bumatai at 2:51
              Mel Cabang at 4:07

Darn. Those were all the clips I could find online.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Hmmm. This post isn't supposed to be here ...
                Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; September 25, 2007, 11:40 PM. Reason: Spontaneous replication
                "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Augie is a favorite in our house, his DVD's get plenty of play over the weekends.

Another worth mentioning is "Hawaii's own, Chris Da Clown" (fka: Chris Da Pordagee Clown). If you saw Chris perform 10 or so years ago you know what I'm talking about. Very edgy, non PC, and really funny (ymmv). His humor is still heard on radio as he feeds jokes & skits to friends in radio on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                    Augie is a favorite in our house, his DVD's get plenty of play over the weekends.
                    Did you see post #5? Just released Sept. 18. You'll want it.

Comment

A little birdie (mahalo!) just sent me this link to a Breaking News item that is VERY cool:
                      Paul Ogata, the Island comedian-radio deejay who relocated to California two years ago to focus on his stand-up comedy, has won $25,000 and first place in the San Francisco International Comedy Competition.
                      (...)
                      Past winners include Dana Carvey of "Saturday Night Live" fame, Marsha Warfield of "Night Court" and movie star Sinbad. Guess who reached past finals but didn't win? Dane Cook, Robin Williams and Ellen DeGeneres.
                      Much more at the link above.
                      Congratulations, Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      But no mention of HT in your acceptance? Lickins, when you come home in December!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Congratulations Paul!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ditto!

In that linked story, this is funny...

"I'm not an activist or anything but I think it's important when Asian Americans make an impact in the entertainment business in a non-William Hung ("American Idol") way," said Ogata.

I remember attending a party that he emceed, where he pointed at the large speaker monitor on the stage and said, "See that? That's a Samoan iPod". LOL!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I just read the news online...

Congratulations to Paul! Can't wait to see all the bigger and brighter things ahead for you!
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I cast my tardy vote for Andy. Paul's great, but time is a big factor for me...I'll probably change my opinion if he's still this good in ten years!

While we're correcting spelling, the Braddah's name is James Roache. Eagles represent!

My biggest problem with considering Rap, Frank, and da Braddahs is that I consider sketch actors different from comics. When you say "comedian," I think of people who stand up in front of an audience and tell jokes, or at least funny stories. What Rap and da Braddahs do is fantastic, but it's a different talent, and therefore difficult to compare, even if they're in the same game. Kinda like comparing catchers to pitchers.

Frank is sorta in between, but most of his act is songs and sketches, so that's usually how I think of him, 'though it's his unrehearsed stuff that I find the most hilarious. When he's allowed to just let it rip, the guy is awesome.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Holey moley!!! Way to go, Paul. That "likeability factor" will get you where you want to go. Huge congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X