Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

I just noticed something, and I just wanted to get this out of my chest... that's all.

I've compared the amount of newscasts here in Hawaii as well as the mainland. I realized that there are many differences of what we have here compared to the mainland.

--We don't have a televised noon (12 pm) newscast.
    --We don't have an "expanded" evening newscast. Many stations on the mainland have newscasts at 4pm, 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, and 6:30pm. Hawaii only has 5 pm and 6 pm newscasts.
    --Usually all major network stations have their late newscasts at 11 PM (instead of 10 PM here in Hawaii).
    --We don't have "weekend" morning newcasts.

And aside:
    All primetime programming on the mainland usually start at 8 PM, while we have our programming start one hour earlier at 7 PM.

and...

Why can't KHON have a late news at 9 PM (w/ the 10 PM newscast they already have). That way, they can also compete w/ K5 News at Nine. I also noticed that FOX stations on the mainlaind usually start their late news at least one hour earlier than the ABC, NBC, and CBS network affiliate stations.

I know that the media in Hawaii is really unique here. And maybe not too much news happen here locally, so I guess everything would be too repetitive?

Again, just something I noticed.

Re: Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    --We don't have an "expanded" evening newscast. Many stations on the mainland have newscasts at 4pm, 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, and 6:30pm. Hawaii only has 5 pm and 6 pm newscasts.
    Where on the mainland does this take place? And do these newscast touch on local events or national events or a mixture of both?

Comment

--We don't have a televised noon (12 pm) newscast.
      --Usually all major network stations have their late newscasts at 11 PM (instead of 10 PM here in Hawaii).
      --We don't have "weekend" morning newcasts.

And aside:
      All primetime programming on the mainland usually start at 8 PM, while we have our programming start one hour earlier at 7 PM.
      Depends on where you are on the Mainland.

Noon newscasts faded out of favor in major markets for a while, but have made a comeback in recent years. Evening newscasts here in Seattle are usually from 5-7 pm (though one station starts at 4), with only one half-hour of that being the network segment (two of them do that at 5:30, while one does it at 6.)

Midwestern stations (Central Time Zone) generally start their primetime programs at 7 and have news at 10, just as in Hawai`i.

Comment

There just isn't enough hard news in Hawaii to justify a 12pm newscast etc.

And running a station in Hawaii costs major bucks, vs the mainland I'd bet.

Everything costs more...land, salaries, taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
          There just isn't enough hard news in Hawaii to justify a 12pm newscast etc.

And running a station in Hawaii costs major bucks, vs the mainland I'd bet.

Everything costs more...land, salaries, taxes.
          True. However, other markets on the mainland about the size of Hawaii basically rehash the same news stories from the morning newscast if there isn't anything new at noon.

I agree with the person who said the newscast was a little fast paced, but I don't mind it. I guess they're trying to be like a mainland morning news program.

Comment

Why can't KHON have a late news at 9 PM (w/ the 10 PM newscast they already have). That way, they can also compete w/ K5 News at Nine. I also noticed that FOX stations on the mainlaind usually start their late news at least one hour earlier than the ABC, NBC, and CBS network affiliate stations.

I know that the media in Hawaii is really unique here. And maybe not too much news happen here locally, so I guess everything would be too repetitive?

Again, just something I noticed.
            Media in Hawaii is unique on so many levels. KHON seems to have a small staff of reporters and anchors, so I don't envision them starting a 9pm newscast anytime soon, otherwise like you said.. repetitive.

Comment

It's really all about revenue and demographics. In some mainland television markets there is a considerable viewing audience at noon, 4pm 4:30pm, etc., because of stay at home mothers, shift workers and other populace variables in which revenue can be generated through advertising. Whereas here in Hawaii, that viewing audience isn't even measurable. Therefore the cost of a newscast versus the revenue isn't financially feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Depends on where you are on the Mainland.

Noon newscasts faded out of favor in major markets for a while, but have made a comeback in recent years. Evening newscasts here in Seattle are usually from 5-7 pm (though one station starts at 4), with only one half-hour of that being the network segment (two of them do that at 5:30, while one does it at 6.)

Midwestern stations (Central Time Zone) generally start their primetime programs at 7 and have news at 10, just as in Hawai`i.
                There was popular Noon newscasts in Phoenix where I use to live, I think we had them in Chicago too. Also, in both of those cities prime time shows began at 7:00pm, just like in Hawaii.

Now years ago in Hawaii many prime time shows began at 6:30pm partly because the local stations wanted a 30 minute extra slot to air the network newscasts with Cronkite, Frank reynolds, John Channcellor, etc. around 10:00pm or so.

And there was a time also on some local stations after the 9:30pm news they would air the last hour of prime time from 10:00pm-11:00pm, with a re-broadcast of the 9:30pm news at 11:00pm.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Where on the mainland does this take place? And do these newscast touch on local events or national events or a mixture of both?
                  Well right now, I'm in Portland, OR.
                  --One station has newscasts from 5-5:30pm and 6-7pm (KGW - NBC)
                  --Another, 5-6:30pm (KOIN - CBS)
                  --Another, 4:30-6:00pm and 6:30pm (KATU - ABC)
                  --And their FOX station (KPTV) only has a late night newscast (from 10pm-11:35pm).

All stations here have a mixture of local and national events on their newscasts.

From reading your replies here, I realized it varies among stations and markets across the country.

Comment

I recently spent time in Rapid City, SD....not exactly a big market.

The ABC station 5-7am, 11am, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm (ABC News at 5:30pm)
                    The NBC station 5-7am, Noon, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm (NBC News at 5:30pm)
                    The FOX station only 5:30pm(30 min) and 9pm (Hour)
                    The CBS station(statewide channel) had a Morning/Midmorning/2-30min minute Late Afternoon and 9pm (30 min). The weird thing about the CBS station is that it's schedule is based on Central Time and Rapid City is on Mountain Time. So the CBS Primetime started a 6pm and Letterman starts a 9:35pm.

Comment

Well right now, I'm in Portland, OR.
                      --One station has newscasts from 5-5:30pm and 6-7pm (KGW - NBC)
                      --Another, 5-6:30pm (KOIN - CBS)
                      --Another, 4:30-6:00pm and 6:30pm (KATU - ABC)
                      --And their FOX station (KPTV) only has a late night newscast (from 10pm-11:35pm).

All stations here have a mixture of local and national events on their newscasts.

From reading your replies here, I realized it varies among stations and markets across the country.
                      I forgot about the other newcasts as well:
                      --The ABC and CBS stations in Portland have their mornings from 5-7am, and also 12-12:30PM
                      --The NBC station has from 4:30 AM - 7 AM, and also 12-1 PM
                      --And the FOX station has from 4:30AM all the way till 9 or 10 AM. No noon newscast.

Comment

I guess the Portland stations don't run games show like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy during the late afternoon or early evening times? Or air the network evening news broadcast?

For Hawaii if it's 5pm in the afternoon here, it's 7pm or 8pm on the West Coast and 10pm or 11pm on the East Coast, all the places that might make news during the normal course of a day are closed like government and/or business offices so any non emergency but hot topic news item won't get further updates that would have gotten hourly updates on the East Coast or West Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          I guess the Portland stations don't run games show like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy during the late afternoon or early evening times? Or air the network evening news broadcast?
                          The ABC station airs Jeopardy and Wheel at 7:00 pm and 7:30 pm respectively.
                          The ABC station airs ABC news at 6:00 pm.
                          The CBS station airs CBS news at 6:30 pm.
                          The NBC station airs NBC news at 5:30 pm.

So each station airs the network evening news broadcast at different times, whereas every major station in Hawaii airs them at 5:30 pm.

Comment

Hawaii gets the west coast feed from the networks, which is a 3 hour delay. Hawaii is a non-factor for the networks in regards to programming, news and ratings. We register less than 500,000 households in the ratings. We are 73rd after those great metropolises like Boise & Tulsa as far as viewership.

Comment

interesting tidbits, thanks for all the time info from around the country.

i do think that there is definitely enough "hard" news here in hawaii. would be interesting to see more investigative stories on the air. maybe we'd have more newscats with that.
                              Always check and double check

Comment

Working...
                              X