Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star-Bulletin special

Originally posted by sin View Post
    really? i've never seen them tow a vehicle except for one dumb sap who left it for them to find the next morning. otherwise i used to park there all the time and never got a ticket or warning or anything.
    A whole Thread on dem here!
    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...hlight=Compusa

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Tow trucks flock to the CompUSA parking lot. I see a car getting towed there at least three times a week, sometimes with the owner running down the street after it.

I did the movie ticket thing for a while, but now they've changed the policy. I forgot how so, but it basically eliminated the ability to buy a ticket for a buck and get a free pass.

Now I just play parking meter game, hoping that the meter maids don't check outside of the normal 9-11 and 1-3 times. Most of my tickets lately have been because they ticket between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., which they never usually do.

It's kinda like waking up every morning, and deciding to play musical chairs and Russian Roulette at the same time. A glorious existence indeed.
      ---
      Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
        Tow trucks flock to the CompUSA parking lot. I see a car getting towed there at least three times a week, sometimes with the owner running down the street after it.

I did the movie ticket thing for a while, but now they've changed the policy. I forgot how so, but it basically eliminated the ability to buy a ticket for a buck and get a free pass.

Now I just play parking meter game, hoping that the meter maids don't check outside of the normal 9-11 and 1-3 times. Most of my tickets lately have been because they ticket between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., which they never usually do.

It's kinda like waking up every morning, and deciding to play musical chairs and Russian Roulette at the same time. A glorious existence indeed.

Gene:
        Do any of the SB emps get parking passes or get any kind of rate reduction at the RR lot?
        Nice meeting you yesterday. Mahalo!!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

wow, maybe i was just lucky at comp usa all those years and didn't know it. then again i didn't work the 9 to 5 shift, it was either 2 to 11 p.m. or 6 am to 3 p.m. so maybe the odd hours worked in my favor.

seriously though, if you're just traveling to and from the SB and the police station then maybe you'd be better off buying a bicycle and leaving your car at HPD headquarters using the media parking pass. i actually considered that at one point.

i forgot what a daily adventure going to work used to be.

Comment

wow, maybe i was just lucky at comp usa all those years and didn't know it. then again i didn't work the 9 to 5 shift, it was either 2 to 11 p.m. or 6 am to 3 p.m. so maybe the odd hours worked in my favor.

seriously though, if you're just traveling to and from the SB and the police station then maybe you'd be better off buying a bicycle and leaving your car at HPD headquarters using the media parking pass. i actually considered that at one point.

i forgot what a daily adventure going to work used to be.
            lol I work the dreaded 6 to 3 shift. I head to the office around 8 a.m. for parking, and I already see cars being towed from CompUSA around that time. So maybe you were really lucky!

I thought about leaving the car at HPD. I heard from someone that they may tow it if you stay there all day, but I honestly don't see a reason why they'd do that, especially if you have a pass. I never thought about buying a bike! I'll consider that.

There is no reduced rate for us. I think there were group specials available, but it was still out of my price range. Nice to meet you the other day as well, lava. The Limtiaco Company caught my eye when I first moved to Hawaii a year ago because I'm from Guam, and her last name is Chamorro. I thought about a career in PR, straight out of college after getting my journalism degree, no less.
            ---
            Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

lol I work the dreaded 6 to 3 shift. I head to the office around 8 a.m. for parking, and I already see cars being towed from CompUSA around that time. So maybe you were really lucky!
              the six to three shift wasn't so bad, get the briefs in and if something big breaks you move fast for the afternoon edition. then go up and shoot the breeze with michelle and various detectives at hpd and usually i'd get a story out of all that talking for the morning paper.

you're doing a good job gene, keep it up. and don't switch to pr or go back to guam yet.

Comment

you're doing a good job gene, keep it up. and don't switch to pr or go back to guam yet.
                I would second that. it's no greener in PR.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  I would second that. it's no greener in PR.
                  actually i do hear it is greener, as in more cash. at least that's what my former journalist friends say that have made the leap.

Comment

I think I figured out who you are sin.

I hear it is greener too. However it wasn't really that green when I was thinking about going into PR. I applied for an account executive position at Golin Harris in Los Angeles back in 2003, and I was offered only up to around $25,000 a year. I'm sure there's a lot of room to move upward, but at least initially it doesn't seem to be larger than a starting reporter's salary.

Obviously I didn't get the job, as they later told me they had promised an intern the same position.
                    ---
                    Gene

Comment

I think I figured out who you are sin.
                      I think mostly everyone here knows who I am and where I used to work. And I tried to drop enough hints to let you know too Gene. Come on, who else would talk about parking at HPD and Michelle and the morning cop shift?

Keep fighting the good fight at the SB gene and have a beer down at row bar for me one day. that was a good pau hana hangout.

Comment

I think mostly everyone here knows who I am and where I used to work. And I tried to drop enough hints to let you know too Gene. Come on, who else would talk about parking at HPD and Michelle and the morning cop shift?

Keep fighting the good fight at the SB gene and have a beer down at row bar for me one day. that was a good pau hana hangout.
                        Yeah, funny thing is that my immediate profession was being a Gannetteer, back on Guam. I do owe Gannett a lot for helping me start me off.

I hang out at the Row Bar for a pau hana drink or two once in a while. Ideally I like having cigarettes with my beer so it's definitely ideal, and the happy hour prices are good.

Too bad you moved just before I got here. I keep hearing crazy stories about you from Beej. I missed out on some good times.
                        ---
                        Gene

Comment

We could probably write an entire thread that would go on for weeks about antics of journalists in this town, both on air and print. And I probably haven't heard all of the stories from the old Columbia Inn and Kengo's either.

I don't supppose anyone wants to take a stab at that one. . .although it might be better left alone.

Comment

Working...
                          X