Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star-Bulletin special

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Perhaps you need to be honest about who you work for and why you're so interested in spreading innuendo.
    Close enough??

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
      Close enough??
      Sounds like Media answered the question for Unidentified. I didn't necessarily have the G-men in mind, because we're in competition with others as well, but this sudden defensiveness about Gannett is revealing.

As for Erika and I and others being wary of Gannett, well, we have reason to be. If we worked for Gannett, we'd be supportive of them too, but we don't. We work for the company Gannett has vowed to kill.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I really wasn't defending Gannett. I just don't think they're as much of the evil empire as others do. Then again, I don't compete against them and never had them try to shut down my paper. I do however think there's a problem with SBs circulation numbers in terms of transparency.

I don't think Unidentifiedstar was defending the G-empire either. Also, just questioning the transparency of the numbers. You can easily verify the "Tiser's," but the Bulletin isn't quite as clear at first blush.

Too be fair, the Advertiser doesn't disclose how many non-paid papers are included in it's circulation numbers, however ABC does have regulations regarding the ratio of free vs paid circulation. I don't recall what it is, and too lazy to look it up right now. I posted some urls in previous posts regarding ABC, ASNE & circulation numbers if anyone wants to research it.

Comment

You know, everything bad I've ever heard about Gannett and the Tiser has come from their own people, both former and current employees. Most of them reporters, good ones who say they are being told what to write and how, by managers who don't know and don't care to know the community.

And yes I am a former Star Bulletin employee.

Comment

sorry, i know this is about circulation numbers but i just wanted to point out that a lot of the Gannett bashing around town came from within.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
              sorry, i know this is about circulation numbers but i just wanted to point out that a lot of the Gannett bashing around town came from within.
              Got a job? Then you probably have a gripe. I bet they btchi and maon at the happiest place on earth.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Many of us at the Star-Bulletin were Gannett employees, you might recall. In fact, I think I've been a Gannett employee -- and happy to have been so -- longer than any other employer.

Does Rupert Phillps' thinly disguised operation, funded by Gannett, count as Gannett time?
                Burl Burlingame
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

sadly I had to cancel this special subscription because money's tight

but this thread still lives!!! rock on SB!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    Got a job? Then you probably have a gripe. I bet they btchi and maon at the happiest place on earth.
                    Actually I do have a job, still reporting for a newspaper on the same beat, just not the bulletin. Left for family reasons and would go back there in a second if we ever returned to Hawaii.

So no gripe, except that it's getting cold again and I think about my desk at restaurant row sometimes and the good people i used to work with alot.

Comment

my "got a job?" post wasn't directed at anyone person, Sin, but, my point was that no matter where we draw a paycheck we have both satisfaction and dread. Well, I do anyway.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                        my "got a job?" post wasn't directed at anyone person, Sin, but, my point was that no matter where we draw a paycheck we have both satisfaction and dread. Well, I do anyway.
                        the only thing i dreaded at the bulletin was finding parking.

Comment

the only thing i dreaded at the bulletin was finding parking.
                          Word. I've been getting parking tickets like it's in style. I actually have nightmares now about those little yellow slips.
                          ---
                          Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
                            Word. I've been getting parking tickets like it's in style. I actually have nightmares now about those little yellow slips.
                            Here are some guidelines for affordable parking at the SB Gene. The loading dock downstairs is fair game EXCEPT when the department of homeland security issues a color change alert, then Honolulu police go out and start ticketing everybody that parks in loading zones. seriously. ask michelle at HPD.

Then of course there's the 50 cent movie theatre ploy. buy a ticket and it's good for 3 hours of parking. the parking lot attendant will give you stink eye but there's nothing he or she can do about it because you bought a ticket.

And last but not least is Comp USA. No one patrols the parking lot, especially if you park on the South Street mauka corner. They will tow you if you stay parked there overnight but by then street parking is free.

Comment

And last but not least is Comp USA. No one patrols the parking lot, especially if you park on the South Street mauka corner. They will tow you if you stay parked there overnight but by then street parking is free.
                              Bad advice! CompUSA are towing maniacs!
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                Bad advice! CompUSA are towing maniacs!
                                really? i've never seen them tow a vehicle except for one dumb sap who left it for them to find the next morning. otherwise i used to park there all the time and never got a ticket or warning or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X