"Heroes" - Season 2 on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Heroes" - Season 2 on NBC

Tonight's episode goes along the line of "even if you knew the future and it turns out that way you still get a surprise".

Noah Bennet gets shot in the eye by Mohinder with Claire and West in the background but some body gives Noah a transfusion of Claire's blood and he comes back from the dead.

Of course other surprise of the episode is that Elle is Bob's daughter.

Comment

New to the forums so bear with me, but I'd like to voice a couple of my concerns for this particular show.

I've been following Heroes since the first episode of season one and, while I enjoyed the large scale plot and eventual climax of said season; I've found myself to be far moe interested in the small scale conflicts of Season Two. Perhaps because of the abbreviated duration of the season (writers' strike and all) or maybe just because it's easier to relate to small scale problems.

Peter's search for his identity was and interesting angle, but seemed superflous 1.) because we (the viewers) already knew what it was; and 2.) because it served no purpose. Yes, the Haitian erasing the incriminating memories was iportant for his own protection, but why erase his entire identity?

I like the twist with Hiro and his hero, I liked that ultmately Hiro became his hero and explicitly conceptualized that fact in ths episode. He is definitely the strongest (conceptually) character in the show and I really hope the writers don't eventually undercut him. The flash forward in Season 1 where he was all futuristic and acent-free was odd and ruined a little something for me. I'm glad the future is no loner and issue.

Which brings me to the ultimate flaw in the show (from my point of view). The show is alled "Heroes" and yet, excepting very few of them, none of the characters are particularly heroic. In fact, besides Hiro, all of the truly Heroic characters don't even have powers. Yes, pretty much all of the "good guys" have their moment in the sun; but a hero isn't someone who just sees a bad thign about to happen and tries to prevent it, a hero is a person who actively pursues noble goals, just causes, and protects more than just the innocent civiians but also his ideals.

Most of the characters are completely reactionary. In Season 1, they see the city is going explode so now they have to concern themselves with corrupt politicians, and the ever present "Company." Had they had no knowledge of the eventual destruction of New York and ultimately their own demise none of them would have reacted at all toward the true evils which caused said calamity.

Which is perhaps why I'm more interested in the small-scale conflicts of Season 2, because they allow the characters to fight for what they actually value in their lives rather than simply fighting to preserve their lives. Which is good; it lets us know more about who the people are rather than simply what the people can do. I was worried for a while because Season 2 looked like it was going the same direction as Season 1 ("Oh, I got a glimpse of the future now I have to save the world from something I didn't care about five minutes ago.")

Alot of people are sayin they really dislike this second season, that it's les cohesive. I think it's great. What are the odds that another great plot would be foiled by the same team of reactionary survivalists. I love that we'e gotten a chance to get to know the characters and witness how they are dealing with the fall-out resulting from Season 1.

On another note; I'm really bummed about the death of Noah Bennet. While his methods were somewhat unorthodox, he was definitely one of the most Heroic characters in the show (once he got his priorities straight.) I really hope they don't ruin him by ressurecting him.
      Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Of course other surprise of the episode is that Elle is Bob's daughter.
        Not really a surprise at all.

And yes, I still hate flyboy West.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
          On another note; I'm really bummed about the death of Noah Bennet. While his methods were somewhat unorthodox, he was definitely one of the most Heroic characters in the show (once he got his priorities straight.) I really hope they don't ruin him by ressurecting him.
          Didn't you see the last moment of the episode? He was brought back to life with Claire's blood. I think Mohinder did it out of guilt.

I loved this episode. One LOL moment for me was when West was carrying Elle's unconscious body in the Butler household and West is all smiles, "Oh Hi, Mrs. Butler!"

Hiro was awesome personified. May he always live in this series.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
            Hiro was awesome personified. May he always live in this series.
            He's clearly among the top characters in the series. To me, it seems his storyline is going in the right direction. He's growing up/maturing and there isn't any deviation from that. Unlike say, Niki, who at the season 1 finale, seemed to have finally "dealt" with her split personality and her acceptance of the power she wields, only to get yet another personality and she breaks down becoming, once again, the weak Niki that's too afraid of herself to be of any use to anyone.

I think it would've been a stronger impact if Noah wasn't resurrected. But I suppose he needed to be, or else Niki would be cured and the virus wouldn't spread? Was that remorse on Bob's face when he saw Noah dead? Or was it regret for losing Claire's blood?

I'm still iffy on West. I suppose Claire needed a love interest. *shrug* Otherwise, he doesn't seem to be a great addition to the lineup.

Comment

I'd have to agree that Hiro has been the most interesting character - he has outgrown some of his earlier misconceptions of reality. I just hope he doesn't attain vengeance for his father's murder (IOW, I hope there's a 'good' reason for those eliminations).
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
                I'm still iffy on West. I suppose Claire needed a love interest. *shrug*
                Okay, but does it have to be West? Sighs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                  Didn't you see the last moment of the episode? He was brought back to life with Claire's blood. I think Mohinder did it out of guilt.
                  Yes, that's what I'm refering to when i say I hope they don't ruin his character by ressurecting him. He's a great character who seems to have fnally broken free of his love/hate relationship with "The Company" and finally sorted out his priorities (his family) and has shown he will go to any length to defend them and his life on his terms.

My concerns is that we will find that "Bob" used the sample of Claire's blood to bring him back from death as ameans of reindoctrinating him into loyal service of "The Company;" by showing him that their methods are truly benevolent and that if he jst hands over his daughter hundreds, if not thousands, of people can be saved.

I couldn't stand to see him duped again.

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
                  He's clearly among the top characters in the series. To me, it seems his storyline is going in the right direction. He's growing up/maturing and there isn't any deviation from that. Unlike say, Niki, who at the season 1 finale, seemed to have finally "dealt" with her split personality and her acceptance of the power she wields, only to get yet another personality and she breaks down becoming, once again, the weak Niki that's too afraid of herself to be of any use to anyone.
                  Niki is at a severe disadvantage that none of the other "Heroes" have to contend with; her powers are the only ones with a (maelevolent) conciousness of their own; her powers are the only ones which are actually actvely working against her. That is, assuming her multiple personalities are a symptom of her powers and not merely a pre-existing condition. Everyone else has to learn to control their powers, she actually has to combat hers.

Comment

My concerns is that we will find that "Bob" used the sample of Claire's blood to bring him back from death as ameans of reindoctrinating him into loyal service of "The Company;" by showing him that their methods are truly benevolent and that if he jst hands over his daughter hundreds, if not thousands, of people can be saved.

I couldn't stand to see him duped again.
                    Unless HRG duped Bob first.

Let's be real. HRG is to HEROES as Gul Dukat is to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He's a rogue and a wildcard but deep down he's a bad guy. If an opportunity allows HRG to infiltrate The Company through deception, he will take it.

Comment

Niki is at a severe disadvantage that none of the other "Heroes" have to contend with; her powers are the only ones with a (maelevolent) conciousness of their own; her powers are the only ones which are actually actvely working against her. That is, assuming her multiple personalities are a symptom of her powers and not merely a pre-existing condition. Everyone else has to learn to control their powers, she actually has to combat hers.
                      That's what is weird to me. It seemed at the end of season 1, Jessica gave control over to Niki by helping her. Both personalities appeared to have become one. Wasn't it Niki that ripped the parking meter and thwacked Sylar? If not, they did a pretty quick and silent switch over between Niki and Jessica.

And the whole thing about Jessica and Niki was that Jessica was a twin sister and their father killed her, traumatizing Niki. Now there's yet another personality? So were there triplets? Or did I watch those episodes with her and her father completely with the wrong idea?

Comment

What are the powers of some of the previous generation?
                        Kaito, Ma Patrelli, Bob?
                        Only the older Parkman we know.

Could Claire and the Patrelli's be related to Adam?
                        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Bob could transmute objects. He turned a spoon into gold when he first meets up with Mohinder. I had the impression that's how the company was able to get funded, turning stuff into gold and selling it.

Ma Patrelli may seem to have the power of suggestion when she touches people. She tried that on Nathan's wife in the episode aired last week Monday.

Kaito. I don't know. He doesn't seem to have fast reflexes, fly, regenerate or stop time or any other power that would be useful in a fight. The sword thing he teaches to Hiro is more of skill than a power.

More than likey he would have a support type of power like enhanced memory.

Comment

Could some explain a couple quick things for me.

1.) HRG? Who is that?
                            2.) Could someone explain what we believe Sylar's power to be? One member refered to it as Intuitive Aptitude, which basically means, he's just good at stuff.

Comment

1.) HRG? Who is that?
                              HRG = Horn Rimmed Glasses. I think it's something that posters of HawaiiThreads coined for the character of Noah Bennet since during the early part of the first season of Heroes he had no name.

Comment

Ah, well in that case I disagree.
                                I think he is one of the greatest of the good guys. A bit of a loose cannon, but he's definitely a good guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X