This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Anybody got the words to the new Hawai'i-specific war chant?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

All I can say is... FINALLY!

Sorry, I don't have the words but here's the link to a clip of the new "war dance" that was shown on KGMB last night... even though KGMB is still calling it a haka but whatever...

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/119/43/

GREAT JOB, GUYS!!!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Well, I couldn't really view it to form an 'objective' opinion, however friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

mahalo to the UH. They met their obligation; listen to our concerns of our Polynesian kin and go back and do the pono thing and revamp from the roots on up. That is kuleana.

No matter what, they cannot please everyone, but what they did, and how they did it--resolving the issue from a cultural perspective--was maikaʻi loa.

pax

Comment

Go forth and be blessed!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
            Well, I couldn't really view it to form an 'objective' opinion, however friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
            I don't get why NZ people would need to "endorse" it or not "endorse" it. Since this has nothing to do with New Zealand, it seems to me that your own opinion is much more relevant than theirs.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Sir Scriv,

Am I allowed to post the opinions of others, not members of HT with respect to their privacy? I did post my opinion, I don't have one yet since I haven't viewed it in all its penalty worthy glory. UH has rewritten their chant to return it to the Hawaiian culture, the old and the new is not endorsed by friends of mine from NZ, who by the way have seen them both.

When I view it, I'll post my opinion, from a non-expert point of view.
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                Am I allowed to post the opinions of others, not members of HT with respect to their privacy? ... UH has rewritten their chant to return it to the Hawaiian culture, the old and the new is not endorsed by friends of mine from NZ, who by the way have seen them both.
                Of course. I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.

Does that make sense? I mean, it's as if you mentioned to friends of yours in Michigan that I either endorsed or didn't endorse the Michigan Fight Song. Why would my endorsement mean anything, and what exactly would I be endorsing, since I don't have a single connection to either Michigan or to its Fight Song?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here's a video found on UHFootball.blogspot.com and towards the end is a news story by Liz CHUN which discusses the Ha'a, including some of the words to the chant.
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Of course. I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.

Does that make sense? I mean, it's as if you mentioned to friends of yours in Michigan that I either endorsed or didn't endorse the Michigan Fight Song. Why would my endorsement mean anything, and what exactly would I be endorsing, since I don't have a single connection to either Michigan or to its Fight Song?
                    Unless of course you did have a connection to Michigan. And so for the record, they do have connections to the topic thread, (and ironically although I know you mentioned Michigan hypothetically they also have ties to there as well ), otherwise it would be useless to have mentioned their opinion to begin with.

And, yes you do make sense.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.
                      Forgive my ignorance in asking this, but does the new work still follow the form of a Maori haka, but with new content? Then I can see why New Zealanders might still be concerned - if it's still recognizable as being based on a tradition that is clearly associated with them.

According to my family, I have blood ties to the Blackfeet Nation. May I therefore create, teach, and publicly display something that resembles a traditional Native American dance, without any concern as to what members of the Blackfeet Nation care about it? Can anyone with a drop of Hawaiian blood create hula choreography, and not care what kanaka steeped in hula traditions have to say? Even on the Mainland, or perhaps in Japan?

Comment

Those questions are pretty big for me (or anyone, really) to give one all-applicable answer to, but the UH Ha`a was written by three students on the football team who have experience with the language and with hula, according to Liz Chun. The moves definitely look to my untrained eye much more kahiko-like than haka-like.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Forgive my ignorance in asking this, but does the new work still follow the form of a Maori haka, but with new content? Then I can see why New Zealanders might still be concerned - if it's still recognizable as being based on a tradition that is clearly associated with them.

According to my family, I have blood ties to the Blackfeet Nation. May I therefore create, teach, and publicly display something that resembles a traditional Native American dance, without any concern as to what members of the Blackfeet Nation care about it? Can anyone with a drop of Hawaiian blood create hula choreography, and not care what kanaka steeped in hula traditions have to say? Even on the Mainland, or perhaps in Japan?
                          It's pau, Leo. It has been rectified in the right way; from both the haku mele and hula aspects.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            It's pau, Leo. It has been rectified in the right way; from both the haku mele and hula aspects.
                            Thanks, PM - that's nice to know. I hope there will be a video of the entire piece available someday.

Comment

we know that the team was thoroughly chastened by the experience, hence all of the effort to be kūpono on all levels. Comparisons to the old haka will be expected for a while, but in doing so if we end up questioning the authenticity of their haʻa, after all that has been put into it to right the wrong, it insults them.

And I got better things to do than insult dem buggahs.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X