Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Default This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Anybody got the words to the new Hawai'i-specific war chant?

Thumbs up Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

All I can say is... FINALLY!

Sorry, I don't have the words but here's the link to a clip of the new "war dance" that was shown on KGMB last night... even though KGMB is still calling it a haka but whatever...

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/119/43/

GREAT JOB, GUYS!!!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Default Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Well, I couldn't really view it to form an 'objective' opinion, however friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

mahalo to the UH. They met their obligation; listen to our concerns of our Polynesian kin and go back and do the pono thing and revamp from the roots on up. That is kuleana.

No matter what, they cannot please everyone, but what they did, and how they did it--resolving the issue from a cultural perspective--was maikaʻi loa.

pax

Go forth and be blessed!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Well, I couldn't really view it to form an 'objective' opinion, however friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
    I don't get why NZ people would need to "endorse" it or not "endorse" it. Since this has nothing to do with New Zealand, it seems to me that your own opinion is much more relevant than theirs.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Sir Scriv,

Am I allowed to post the opinions of others, not members of HT with respect to their privacy? I did post my opinion, I don't have one yet since I haven't viewed it in all its penalty worthy glory. UH has rewritten their chant to return it to the Hawaiian culture, the old and the new is not endorsed by friends of mine from NZ, who by the way have seen them both.

When I view it, I'll post my opinion, from a non-expert point of view.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Am I allowed to post the opinions of others, not members of HT with respect to their privacy? ... UH has rewritten their chant to return it to the Hawaiian culture, the old and the new is not endorsed by friends of mine from NZ, who by the way have seen them both.
    Of course. I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.

Does that make sense? I mean, it's as if you mentioned to friends of yours in Michigan that I either endorsed or didn't endorse the Michigan Fight Song. Why would my endorsement mean anything, and what exactly would I be endorsing, since I don't have a single connection to either Michigan or to its Fight Song?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Here's a video found on UHFootball.blogspot.com and towards the end is a news story by Liz CHUN which discusses the Ha'a, including some of the words to the chant.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Of course. I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.

Does that make sense? I mean, it's as if you mentioned to friends of yours in Michigan that I either endorsed or didn't endorse the Michigan Fight Song. Why would my endorsement mean anything, and what exactly would I be endorsing, since I don't have a single connection to either Michigan or to its Fight Song?
    Unless of course you did have a connection to Michigan. And so for the record, they do have connections to the topic thread, (and ironically although I know you mentioned Michigan hypothetically they also have ties to there as well ), otherwise it would be useless to have mentioned their opinion to begin with.

And, yes you do make sense.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I am only trying to understand what need a New Zealander would have for endorsing this new routine. It's no longer in any way associated with New Zealand, so it seems to me that someone from NZ wouldn't really care what UH is doing now, as long as it's not doing the haka that the All-Blacks had written for them.
    Forgive my ignorance in asking this, but does the new work still follow the form of a Maori haka, but with new content? Then I can see why New Zealanders might still be concerned - if it's still recognizable as being based on a tradition that is clearly associated with them.

According to my family, I have blood ties to the Blackfeet Nation. May I therefore create, teach, and publicly display something that resembles a traditional Native American dance, without any concern as to what members of the Blackfeet Nation care about it? Can anyone with a drop of Hawaiian blood create hula choreography, and not care what kanaka steeped in hula traditions have to say? Even on the Mainland, or perhaps in Japan?

Those questions are pretty big for me (or anyone, really) to give one all-applicable answer to, but the UH Ha`a was written by three students on the football team who have experience with the language and with hula, according to Liz Chun. The moves definitely look to my untrained eye much more kahiko-like than haka-like.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Forgive my ignorance in asking this, but does the new work still follow the form of a Maori haka, but with new content? Then I can see why New Zealanders might still be concerned - if it's still recognizable as being based on a tradition that is clearly associated with them.

According to my family, I have blood ties to the Blackfeet Nation. May I therefore create, teach, and publicly display something that resembles a traditional Native American dance, without any concern as to what members of the Blackfeet Nation care about it? Can anyone with a drop of Hawaiian blood create hula choreography, and not care what kanaka steeped in hula traditions have to say? Even on the Mainland, or perhaps in Japan?
    It's pau, Leo. It has been rectified in the right way; from both the haku mele and hula aspects.

pax

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    It's pau, Leo. It has been rectified in the right way; from both the haku mele and hula aspects.
    Thanks, PM - that's nice to know. I hope there will be a video of the entire piece available someday.

we know that the team was thoroughly chastened by the experience, hence all of the effort to be kūpono on all levels. Comparisons to the old haka will be expected for a while, but in doing so if we end up questioning the authenticity of their haʻa, after all that has been put into it to right the wrong, it insults them.

And I got better things to do than insult dem buggahs.

pax

No insults here, I know you're more of an expert than I with respect to the authenticity of the culture. If you give 'em a thumbs up shoots, all they gotta do is give 'em too!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
    As a Maori myself - I took offense to the "old" haka and was very outspoken about it - on this board, writing letters to the editor and vocally (to anyone who would listen!) - IP, I wish your "friends from NZ" had backed me up then...

No matter - I personally am ecstatic that the team has done the right thing and created their own UNIQUE ritual. And what a wonderful legacy these three players have left with this fitting chant that will hopefully be used long after they have moved on from the team.

I don't get why NZ people would need to "endorse" it or not "endorse" it. Since this has nothing to do with New Zealand,
    Yep, it has nothing to do with us anymore so I am ready to quit boycotting and hating on the Warriors and will now become their #1 fan! Well, not quite (I still can't get into THAT football) but I'm sure it will be an awesome sight tomorrow at Aloha Stadium.
    Last edited by kiwidiva; September 21st, 2007 at 06:50 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

I wonder how these New Zealand Ginger Bread Cookies would feel about the Warrior's new "Ha'a"?...

Click on photo or here to watch this YouTube video .

Dig how they even have crumbs on the baking pan bouncing up and down to the chant.

Someone should edit the frames in this video with UH jerseys on them made out of frosting.

They should put that Gingerbread men haka in the next Shrek movie.

They should just do a nice Hula 'auana before each game.

This brings to mind something I find quite interesting. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading Kauakukalahale, http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/02/n...ukalahale.html, and it said that in a recent game between Anuenue and Kaimuki, the players from Anuenue performed a traditionally Hawaiian hula and oli, Aia i Moloka'i ku'u 'iwa, and was hence penalized for "taunt[ing]" the other team.
    I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidiva View Post
    As a Maori myself - I took offense to the "old" haka and was very outspoken about it - on this board, writing letters to the editor and vocally (to anyone who would listen!) - IP, I wish your "friends from NZ" had backed me up then...

No matter - I personally am ecstatic that the team has done the right thing and created their own UNIQUE ritual. And what a wonderful legacy these three players have left with this fitting chant that will hopefully be used long after they have moved on from the team.

Yep, it has nothing to do with us anymore so I am ready to quit boycotting and hating on the Warriors and will now become their #1 fan! Well, not quite (I still can't get into THAT football) but I'm sure it will be an awesome sight tomorrow at Aloha Stadium.
    Although not members of HT, they were vocal directly to UH, but I don't think they boycotted. They're not as displeased as my words appear them to be...ahhh, but that comes with participating in forums.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Quote Originally Posted by 'i'iwipolena View Post
    This brings to mind something I find quite interesting. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading Kauakukalahale, http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/02/n...ukalahale.html, and it said that in a recent game between Anuenue and Kaimuki, the players from Anuenue performed a traditionally Hawaiian hula and oli, Aia i Moloka'i ku'u 'iwa, and was hence penalized for "taunt[ing]" the other team.
    Additionally, the article touches upon the Anuenue players speaking in Hawaiian during the game. I Coach a youth basketball team with a friend, all of our plays are in Hawaiian, including the different 'basketball terminology.' There were complaints from opposing teams that we had somehow "stacked" our team rather than having them randomly selected since the players' responded to the Hawaiian words. Of course their accusations were incorrect since I had only met the players' a week before the start of the season. Our parents were supportive of the integration of the Hawaiian language amongst other qualities of our coaching 'style'.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

UNLV displayed sportsmanship when they didn't do a basketball or soccer flop move to draw an offensive foul like La Tech did to gain a penalty on UH.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidiva View Post
    I'm curious...

Before you start loving the Warriors, is your hate specifically limited to the Warriors or to any schools -- from elementary to university-level -- whose teams uses the haka as part of the pre-game/post-game ritual (including Liberty High School in Nevada where KGMB did a report on the war chant that's too controversial for WAC officials)?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast