This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

No insults here, I know you're more of an expert than I with respect to the authenticity of the culture. If you give 'em a thumbs up shoots, all they gotta do is give 'em too!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

friends of mine from NZ aren't endorsing it.
      As a Maori myself - I took offense to the "old" haka and was very outspoken about it - on this board, writing letters to the editor and vocally (to anyone who would listen!) - IP, I wish your "friends from NZ" had backed me up then...

No matter - I personally am ecstatic that the team has done the right thing and created their own UNIQUE ritual. And what a wonderful legacy these three players have left with this fitting chant that will hopefully be used long after they have moved on from the team.

I don't get why NZ people would need to "endorse" it or not "endorse" it. Since this has nothing to do with New Zealand,
      Yep, it has nothing to do with us anymore so I am ready to quit boycotting and hating on the Warriors and will now become their #1 fan! Well, not quite (I still can't get into THAT football) but I'm sure it will be an awesome sight tomorrow at Aloha Stadium.
      Last edited by kiwidiva; September 21, 2007, 05:50 PM.
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I wonder how these New Zealand Ginger Bread Cookies would feel about the Warrior's new "Ha'a"?...

Click on photo or here to watch this YouTube video .

Dig how they even have crumbs on the baking pan bouncing up and down to the chant.

Someone should edit the frames in this video with UH jerseys on them made out of frosting.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

They should put that Gingerbread men haka in the next Shrek movie.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

They should just do a nice Hula 'auana before each game.

Comment

This brings to mind something I find quite interesting. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading Kauakukalahale, http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/02/n...ukalahale.html, and it said that in a recent game between Anuenue and Kaimuki, the players from Anuenue performed a traditionally Hawaiian hula and oli, Aia i Moloka'i ku'u 'iwa, and was hence penalized for "taunt[ing]" the other team.
              I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                As a Maori myself - I took offense to the "old" haka and was very outspoken about it - on this board, writing letters to the editor and vocally (to anyone who would listen!) - IP, I wish your "friends from NZ" had backed me up then...

No matter - I personally am ecstatic that the team has done the right thing and created their own UNIQUE ritual. And what a wonderful legacy these three players have left with this fitting chant that will hopefully be used long after they have moved on from the team.

Yep, it has nothing to do with us anymore so I am ready to quit boycotting and hating on the Warriors and will now become their #1 fan! Well, not quite (I still can't get into THAT football) but I'm sure it will be an awesome sight tomorrow at Aloha Stadium.
                Although not members of HT, they were vocal directly to UH, but I don't think they boycotted. They're not as displeased as my words appear them to be...ahhh, but that comes with participating in forums.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by 'i'iwipolena View Post
                  This brings to mind something I find quite interesting. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading Kauakukalahale, http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/02/n...ukalahale.html, and it said that in a recent game between Anuenue and Kaimuki, the players from Anuenue performed a traditionally Hawaiian hula and oli, Aia i Moloka'i ku'u 'iwa, and was hence penalized for "taunt[ing]" the other team.
                  Additionally, the article touches upon the Anuenue players speaking in Hawaiian during the game. I Coach a youth basketball team with a friend, all of our plays are in Hawaiian, including the different 'basketball terminology.' There were complaints from opposing teams that we had somehow "stacked" our team rather than having them randomly selected since the players' responded to the Hawaiian words. Of course their accusations were incorrect since I had only met the players' a week before the start of the season. Our parents were supportive of the integration of the Hawaiian language amongst other qualities of our coaching 'style'.
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

UNLV displayed sportsmanship when they didn't do a basketball or soccer flop move to draw an offensive foul like La Tech did to gain a penalty on UH.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                      I'm curious...

Before you start loving the Warriors, is your hate specifically limited to the Warriors or to any schools -- from elementary to university-level -- whose teams uses the haka as part of the pre-game/post-game ritual (including Liberty High School in Nevada where KGMB did a report on the war chant that's too controversial for WAC officials)?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                        Although not members of HT, they were vocal directly to UH, but I don't think they boycotted. They're not as displeased as my words appear them to be...ahhh, but that comes with participating in forums.
                        Okay, I'm confused here.

On one hand, if we continue with the haka, we're damned. On the other hand, we stopped doing the haka but do the ha'a, we're still damned.

Pardon the language, but WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Okay, I'm confused here.

On one hand, if we continue with the haka, we're damned. On the other hand, we stopped doing the haka but do the ha'a, we're still damned.

Pardon the language, but WTF?
                          I don't recall damning anyone, but what I do recall is posting that friends of mine from NZ don't endorse it, and...they're not as displeased as my words may have been read. I believe the matter is settled, hopefully it is for you as well.

Anyone, am I correct in saying that the ha'a or ai (sp?) ha'a and the haka are very different? And, not for the obvious reasons of culture, but altogether? Just asking, not damning or insulting or throwing out pointless opinions.
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                            Anyone, am I correct in saying that the ha'a or ai (sp?) ha'a and the haka are very different? And, not for the obvious reasons of culture, but altogether? Just asking, not damning or insulting or throwing out pointless opinions.
                            You mean "different" in terms of the performance sequence (including the words to the chant), or something else?
                            Last edited by Random; September 21, 2007, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Not just the words, but a different 'meaning' or 'purpose' altogether? Ahh...being lazy and asking here when I could just go research it myself.
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Before you start loving the Warriors, is your hate specifically limited to the Warriors or to any schools -- from elementary to university-level -- whose teams uses the haka as part of the pre-game/post-game ritual
                                Well, hate is a strong word but I do disagree with any school in the USA or anywhere else in the world that "steals" (it is cultural theft in my opinion) a haka and then starts performing it without getting permission from the person who wrote the haka (or from their descendants) and without being taught it properly including the background/history, protocol, words, pronunciation and actions.

In my original post about the inappropriate use of haka - I used not only UH but also Kahuku High School, the Trinity Trojans in Texas & BYU as examples. http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11267

I realize the misuse is widespread and is growing worldwide - it's not only inappropriate but it's lazy - those other schools and teams could get creative (like UH have finally done) and come up with something original but most of them don't see that they are doing anything wrong. That's why I've chosen to voice my opinion - although it is only my opinion and I don't profess to speak for every Maori on the planet.

I'm glad that UH have demonstrated a wonderful example of kuleana and done the pono thing by creating their own unique ha'a... I just hope all the other schools will follow their example...

am I correct in saying that the ha'a and the haka are very different? And, not for the obvious reasons of culture, but altogether?
                                To quote Liz Chun from that video link you posted... everything about it is different, the name, the message and the moves.
                                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                                X