Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
    Well, hate is a strong word but I do disagree with any school in the USA or anywhere else in the world that "steals" (it is cultural theft in my opinion) a haka and then starts performing it without getting permission from the person who wrote the haka (or from their descendants) and without being taught it properly including the background/history, protocol, words, pronunciation and actions.
    So, is it okay if one were to write/create one's own original haka?

Perhaps whoever at Kahuku HS should write one specifically for (and unique to) Kahuku HS.

As for the "inappropriate and lazy" statement in your post, well, they're maori's sons (and daughter?). As elders and parents, you gotta teach them about not giving away their culture, regardless that they're trying to express their culture in a foreign environment as much as hula dancing in Alaska. Instead of just scolding them, establish a haka composition class, so they can write and chant their own straight from the heart and soul.
    Last edited by Random; September 24, 2007, 03:15 PM.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

So, is it okay if one were to write/create one's own original haka?
      Yes, if they are MAORI or if they are in New Zealand or representing New Zealand but these players are not so they did the right thing and composed their own chant in their own language (in this case, olelo Hawai'i)

Perhaps whoever at Kahuku HS should write one specifically for (and unique to) Kahuku HS
      Kahuku isn't in NZ either and they have their own issues with the haka... I heard the Red Raiders aren't even doing it this year... can anyone confirm? Anyway, if someone at Kahuku created a ritual in Hawaiian or even in English - it would be more appropriate since they're in Hawai'i and they should all know how to speak English.

I agree about not giving away your culture but the bottom line (as I see it) is that these teams aren't Maori and aren't from NZ so they are basically giving away THEIR culture (or at least the culture of the place that they live in and represent) to bastardize mine!

The guys from UH stepped up and claimed it back... Good for them - now any other team that stops being lazy and gets creative enough to write their own chant or gets permission to use an appropriate one that already exists gets my encouragement too - including Anuenue, Kamehameha and the Waianae Hawaiian Warriors - all of whom do their pre-game chants in olelo Hawai'i.
      Last edited by kiwidiva; September 25, 2007, 09:38 AM.
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Kahuku isn't in NZ either and they have their own issues with the haka... I heard the Red Raiders aren't even doing it this year... can anyone confirm? Anyway, if someone at Kahuku created a ritual in Hawaiian or even in English - it would be more appropriate since they're in Hawai'i and they should all know how to speak English.
        But aren't many (though not all) of the Kahuku players are of Maori ethnic?

P.S. The English language is overrated.
        Last edited by Random; September 25, 2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          But aren't many (though not all) of the Kahuku players are Maori ethnic?
          Hmmm...I taught dey mostly Samoan.

"Livai and several other coaches and chaperones took a group of 26 players of Samoan ancestry to the island to play in Samoa Bowl I on New Year's Day."
          http://starbulletin.com/2004/01/14/sports/prepbeat.html

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 25, 2007, 04:56 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Hmmm...I taught dey mostly Samoan.

"Livai and several other coaches and chaperones took a group of 26 players of Samoan ancestry to the island to play in Samoa Bowl I on New Year's Day."
            http://starbulletin.com/2004/01/14/sports/prepbeat.html

Auntie Lynn
            Really? My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              P.S. The English language is overrated.
              On the contrary, I suggest that it is underrated -- most of its speakers don't have enough respect for it to learn its proper use. The broadcaster who gets publicly thrashed for mispronouncing a Hawaiian word doesn't get anything for bad subject-verb agreement, and he's speaking English to an English-speaking audience.
              Last edited by scrivener; September 25, 2007, 05:10 PM. Reason: "the landslide will bring you down . . . "
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yes, if they are MAORI or if they are in New Zealand or representing New Zealand but these players are not so they did the right thing and composed their own chant in their own language (in this case, olelo Hawai'i)

I agree about not giving away your culture but the bottom line (as I see it) is that these teams aren't Maori and aren't from NZ so they are basically giving away THEIR culture (or at least the culture of the place that they live in and represent) to bastardize mine!
                I remember visiting Aotearoa and being shocked when I heard the Māori singing a song in te reo to the tune of a cherished Hawaiian song, Kaulana Nā Pua. KNP is no ordinary song; it is a mele ʻai pohaku, a protest song. Yet the story goes that when one of our Hawaiians visited Aotearoa decades ago, some Māori who heard the tune fell so in love with it that he asked permission to add Māori lyrics to the melody. In fact, by doing so, the Māori bastardized (horrors!) our beloved protest song; the Māori version is about jilted lovers or some such nonsense--nothing to do with the inherent sovereignty and devastation of our poʻe who would rather eat the rocks of our beloved land than succumb to the auspices of another nation.

And the Māori know this Hawaiian connection; they sang it to us at every single marae we stayed at (12 in all).

Have a looksee and a listen to the waiata of Kotiro Maori (Maori girl)

(grabs rock and spear, prepares to bash skulls, and toss the Unworthy off the pali).

pax

Comment

Holy cow. That's...astonishing. And, considering some of the posts in this topic, kind of funny, 'though it itself is not really funny. That last line of your post, though, is pretty dang funny. Why do I think I'm about to get stomped?
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Forgets dinner. Waits. I dunno wat foa but waits.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      I remember visiting Aotearoa and being shocked when I heard the Māori singing a song in te reo to the tune of a cherished Hawaiian song, Kaulana Nā Pua. KNP is no ordinary song; it is a mele ʻai pohaku, a protest song. Yet the story goes that when one of our Hawaiians visited Aotearoa decades ago, some Māori who heard the tune fell so in love with it that he asked permission to add Māori lyrics to the melody. In fact, by doing so, the Māori bastardized (horrors!) our beloved protest song; the Māori version is about jilted lovers or some such nonsense--nothing to do with the inherent sovereignty and devastation of our poʻe who would rather eat the rocks of our beloved land than succumb to the auspices of another nation.
                      I can understand the idea of one culture holding a certain song/melody as being sacred and not to be mocked or made light of. But the reality is that no culture today exists in a vacuum. We are all exposed to music and other art forms from different parts of the world. Even much of the popular music we hear have been created by musicians/artists who have been influenced by other artists from different genres/cultures.

Take the Star Spangled Banner. It is no secret that Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to accompany the melody of an old British drinking song. But despite this origin, most Americans still give the Star Spangled Banner the respect and dignity that is befitting of a country's national anthem.

Now, I'm not trying to say that what the Māori people did with Kaulana Nā Pua is right or wrong. All I'm saying is that the idea of one culture taking concepts/artistic expressions from another culture and changing/adapting them to fit their needs is far from being a unique phenomenom. It happens a lot in music/art/literature,.... and most of the time, we're not aware of it!
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

*whhhzzzzzzzzzz*

(Frankie's Head)

pax

Comment

hee hee hee

Now I go eat dinner.

Come back and wait some moa.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

bring me a tissue, will ya?

pax

Comment

Tissue? I brought a BUCKET foa his HEAD!

I go get the wata hose and scrub the area.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                                *whhhzzzzzzzzzz*

(Frankie's Head)
                                If you think so.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X