Maui resident busted for bomb prank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maui resident busted for bomb prank

So, did the cops haul her away before the BF's flight arrived?
    Or did he just pretend he had no idea who she was...?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      What's even weirder is that the "career day" that was held at MIT for which she ostensibly created her little "art project" was held the day before. No one (not any of her classmates or professors, apparently) who may have seen her walking around the Cambridge campus said anything to her about how it probably wasn't such a hot idea to be walking around in public dressed that way. And to prove how "proud" she was of her getup, she then proceeded to wear the same outfit the next day to the airport, of all places, to show her BF?

It's really spooky how these really smart kids (computer hackers are the same way) only live in the moment but never stop to consider the consequences of their actions.

Miulang

You've sorta answered your own thoughts. It wouldn't be out of place at all on the MIT campus. Remember, MIT is one of the places to be for engineering students. So totally not out of place. Now at the airport, post 9/11, totally inappropriate and clueless. Actually, I would say borderline deathwish.

Comment

Her parents are kinda clueless, too. In an interview with the StarBulletin, her mother said:

..."You can be shot if you're that stupid to come up to the airport with something like that," Simpson said by phone from her Maui home. "She's going to have to learn from this experience."
        Must be one of those "New Age" parents who think that kids can learn from their mistakes and without guidance while in their formative years. Just goes to show that just because you've tested as being highly intelligent, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're street smart.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2007, 09:26 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          So, did the cops haul her away before the BF's flight arrived?
          Or did he just pretend he had no idea who she was...?
          they showed him with her when she posted bail, so i guess he went and claimed her.

as for her choice in wardrobe to greet her geek lover, i guess wearing a deconstructed t-shirt saying something like

01101100 01101001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01101100 01101100 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110000
          is now beyond passe at MIT. *shrug*
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Nice way for da sista to make "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" of herself down dea....

sorry had to toss that in

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              t-shirt
              You mean like these?

Comment

as for her choice in wardrobe to greet her geek lover, i guess wearing a deconstructed t-shirt saying something like

01101100 01101001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01101100 01101100 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110000
                is now beyond passe at MIT. *shrug*
                Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                You mean like these?
                more like this, but cut up, tied up, ribboned, whatever, to make more geeksexy.

maybe i'm missing something, but perhaps the "lady unabomber" (versus "unabombshell") look is oofy couture at MIT.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

6C 69 63 6B 20 6D 25 20 6C 69 6B 65 20 61 20 6C 6F 6C 6C 69 70 6F 70

Comment

Arrrgh! We have a generation of college kids who may know everything there is to know about computers, but absolutely zippo about anything going on in the world around them. Another example is another Hawai'i student at MIT who only casually knew Star but who said she was creative and fun:

(Tiffany) Yee met Simpson last year before the two Maui residents began their studies at MIT. Both are members of the MIT Hawaii Club.
                    While they haven’t spent a lot of time together, “I know that she’s really cool,” Yee said. “She’s really creative.

...Initial media reports seemed to exaggerate what happened, Yee said. But then she read a story about the arrest in The Tech, the college newspaper.

...Officials said the incident was a reminder of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that included two passenger planes that took off from Logan International Airport.

But Yee said she hadn’t been aware of the 9/11 connection to the Boston airport and thought Simpson also may not have known.

“It’s kind of crazy. I don’t think it was that big of a deal, but it was really blown up,” Yee said. “Poor thing, she got caught up in it.”
                    Now we know why they call the Ivy League schools "Ivory Towers" of education.

Here is the the story in the MIT "The Tech" newspaper published yesterday.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Now we know why they call the Ivy League schools "Ivory Towers" of education.

Maybe but then again, how old were these students on 9/11. Need to put it in perspective. When you're only 13 or 14 years old, world events don't exactly rank in your priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        Maybe but then again, how old were these students on 9/11. Need to put it in perspective. When you're only 13 or 14 years old, world events don't exactly rank in your priority list.
                        True, but since our current White House administration has made such a big deal about terrorists (both here and overseas), you'd think that even when in the warm cocoon of an Ivy League institution that the kids should have at least have some knowledge of current events, nevermind what might have happened 6 years ago.

When I was a 19 year old kid in college, I KNEW what the heck was happening not only in this country, but in other parts of the world. And my parents, in their "sending baby off to college" speech, told me they wanted me to thrive but to remember 3 things: to always do my best, not to get in trouble with the law, and not bring shame to my family through any of my actions. I had a few issues with the second edict, but I always managed to sail past detection by the law and the college administrators.

Miulang

Comment

Her parents are kinda clueless, too. In an interview with the StarBulletin, her mother said:

Must be one of those "New Age" parents who think that kids can learn from their mistakes and without guidance while in their formative years. Just goes to show that just because you've tested as being highly intelligent, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're street smart.
                          It doesn't sound like the mother's clueless, just sensible. She can't do anything other than be there for Star while she goes through the judicial process.

Could the mother have taught Star before made that boneheaded move? Maybe.

Still, how could Star not get another opinion from a fellow student about her so-called "artwork" shirt she going to wear at the airport?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

True, but since our current White House administration has made such a big deal about terrorists (both here and overseas), Miulang
                            Wow! Try tell that to the families of the 3000 9-11WTC, Bali, Africa, 1993WTC, USSCole, EnglandSubway, IndianSubway etc etc etc.

You are part of the baby boomer generation that I call intelligent idiots. The people with above average vocabularies who are some of the dumbest robots around.

You are the exact same person who, when the US is hit again, will be crying, "See, Bush wasn't doing anything to protect us".

I enjoy reading your posts Miulang, cuz I get to shake my head and wonder how intelligent people can be sooooooo blind.

How much you wanna bet this Maui chick considers herself a liberal or a lefty???

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                              You are the exact same person who, when the US is hit again, will be crying, "See, Bush wasn't doing anything to protect us".
                              We have an obligation and duty to protect our own borders, not go into someone else's country and "pre-emptively" destroy a whole country and its people. If the terrorists ever invaded our shores (as in trying to occupy it rather than just staging a high-visibility bombing in a city), I would be one of the first to sign up to carry a rifle and protect my homeland from being occupied as Iraq have been occupied by us.

EVERYONE, from the White House to DHS and every one in between, is firmly convinced that another bombing will happen; we just don't know when and we don't know where. It's just like the argument about invasive species: if it's not here yet, it will be soon.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2007, 05:18 PM.

Comment

We have an obligation and duty to protect our own borders, not go into someone else's country and "pre-emptively" destroy a whole country and its people. Miulang
                                Miulang,

Please answer this. Don't ignore it or avoid it. It's really simple.

What do you suggest the President (Hillary or Bush or whomever) do to protect the U.S. against the next terrorist attack.

At least the PNAC/newamericancentery people have a plan to fight terrorism by supporting democracy, the antidote to extremism.

What do you suggest other than waiting for the inevitable?

I'll set my clock.

Comment

Working...
                                X