Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1980s video game arcades

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    We realized that it was coming from the car...a beautiful cat had ridden home with us from Castle Park to Manoa while hanging on to the rear axle!
    Ho! Por 'ting! It must have been really scared.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I remember spending many an hour getting my fix of Zaxxon and Defender.
    [Places a quarter on the machine.]

Comment

After school I use to go down to Waialae Bowl and attack the Dark Knight Pinball Machine. EKF had one in Waikiki too but it was always broken. I almost bought a restored one off of ebay but got scared when the shipping was $500. so I bought a Pachinko machine instead. A few years ago my friend was throwing away a space invaders sit down console that still worked. I didnt have the room to keep it so it sat on the street and got vandaled. When i look on ebay today i get sick....$1000

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Ho! Por 'ting! It must have been really scared.

[Places a quarter on the machine.]
        She was, since she was a beautiful orange, black and white calico, we named her calico. We already had (4) cats, so we negotiated with the 'rents to keep 'nother. They reluctantly agreed, and a few months went by and she was "hapai" . So then, we had to hustle to give away the kittens to good homes because the ratio of cat to child was 3:1!

Good memories.

[Walks over to change machine for more quarters]
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
          After school I use to go down to Waialae Bowl and attack the Dark Knight Pinball Machine. EKF had one in Waikiki too but it was always broken. I almost bought a restored one off of ebay but got scared when the shipping was $500. so I bought a Pachinko machine instead. A few years ago my friend was throwing away a space invaders sit down console that still worked. I didnt have the room to keep it so it sat on the street and got vandaled. When i look on ebay today i get sick....$1000
          I dream about my ultimate game room consisting of the Pac Man family, sit down Galaga and Moon Cresta, billiards...you know just a macked out toy room!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

I dream about my ultimate game room consisting of the Pac Man family, sit down Galaga and Moon Cresta, billiards...you know just a macked out toy room!
            In other words, just like Ricky Schroeder's living room in Silver Spoons, right?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              In other words, just like Ricky Schroeder's living room in Silver Spoons, right?
              YES, except the racing car bed...I no fit, anymore!
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

YES, except the racing car bed...I no fit, anymore!

Just get an Escalade bed instead. Updated 21st century version of the racing car bed.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  Just get an Escalade bed instead. Updated 21st century version of the racing car bed.
                  Now that's a thought, wait...okay, it's mines I just added it to my "daydream"!

Does anyone know where we can go NOW to play these games? Pearlridge FF are all the latest games, Diner's took their last standups out, I know the laundromat in Kona still has a GALAGA, made doing laundry fun.
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

You would think a nickel or penny arcade would be somewhere in Chinatown or even Kaimuki.

I lived in Fullerton, Calif., and in the downtown area we had a place called "The Reagan Years," compete with a caricature of the Gipper playing an arcade game. It had all the classics, and it only cost a nickel to play.
                    ---
                    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
                      You would think a nickel or penny arcade would be somewhere in Chinatown or even Kaimuki.
                      Yes, there were several arcades in Chinatown. The only "Legal" one remaining is Nickki's Arcade on Hotel Street. Across the street there was Risque which I lost plenny kala playing PinBall Machines. Luckily, I broke dee habit and dee odda (cough,cough) habit and found something useful to do...Blogging!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sometime in the late 70's there was a video arcade room in the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki on the second floor near the Kokohead tower.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Sometime in the late 70's there was a video arcade room in the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki on the second floor near the Kokohead tower.
                          I clearly remember a video arcade room in the Sheraton Waikiki hotel. I think it was on the ground floor, but I'm not sure. I played "Star Wars" there once in the mid 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Okay I checked the tape out tonight as this has turned into a fun topic. You are correct it was indeed Kaimuki Cue and it was shut down via a FBI/HPD raid 25 years ago. They had the most violations, I see old Poker machines being carried away in the parking lot. Here are some others that were also cited or busted for illegal activity at the time 25 years ago:
                            Aj
                            They may have been raided 25 yrs. ago, but they shut down more recently than that. I'm 25 now and I used to haunt the place between the ages of 9 and 14.

Either way, it's closed
                            Sing with me, everyone!
                            "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                            like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                            http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                              They may have been raided 25 yrs. ago, but they shut down more recently than that. I'm 25 now and I used to haunt the place between the ages of 9 and 14.

Either way, it's closed
                              They were raided and had to close for sometime 25 years ago last week I think it was for a near exact date. However, as you state they must have paid their fees and re-opened and stayed in business for several more years.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                              X