1980s video game arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1980s video game arcades

All this talk about old school video games had me thinking about SCORCHED EARTH....

Scorched Earth, claiming to be "The Mother of All Games is a classic MS-DOS program (runs on current Windows OS) that bouts 2 tanks against each other in a 2-dimensional terrain, usually on mountainsides. Players adjust trajectory and power to hit the opponent, and winners receive more money to buy better weapons. Gotta' love that MIRV!

The strategy and design is so simple yet totally addicting! If you've never played the original Scorched Earth, check it out.... highly recommended!

In today's world of WII, XBox-360 and PS3, games like this, Pac Man and other "back-to-basics" classics can be refreshing.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
      Any of you guys remember Atari Football? I believe it was the first video game with trackballs. You got quite a workout playing it, IIRC.
      I do! My little brother would play it like a mad boy! It was actually more of a workout than the ARM WRESTLING one remember?
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Q: Tilt was at Windward Mall wasn't it until a few years ago??

A: It still IS at WWMall, though it moved to a main concourse area. That might have been a temporary move while the original space at the end of one of the mall's "spokes" was renovated ...

I'm not sure, as I didn't walk through the whole mall during a quick stop there the other day -- I was there on a mission -- to pick up my boys' pre-ordered, pre-paid Halo 3 game. My daughter "upgraded" their Collector's Edition order to the Legendary Edition that comes with the helmet. It is way cool, in a geeky-gamer sort of way.

In nowadays gaming terms, I'm a noob. Likely to be pwned. Loved the various editions of Mario (not including Super Smash Bros., which I don't understand). Got into Super Metroid and Tomb Raider, which I really enjoyed playing.

Once in awhile I'll break out a PS2 disc with arcade classics on 'em and play Battlezone (the tank one), which was one of my favorites for long time. I wasn't that good but I loved to play the game. Tempest was fun but maddening, because I was even less good on that one.

I bought Super Bust-a-Move because I had so much fun playing it on arcade machines too.

My late hubby and I once enjoyed some gaming time at Joy Square during a weekend getaway at Hilton Hawaiian Village. We also enjoyed some late night pupus and karaoke there after a work function and stayed way too late.

Going WAY back in time, having cocktails while playing Galaxians at Victoria Station was fun. It didn't take long before one's point-scoring ability became diminished, however.

Sorry for the long post, but what a fun walk through time!
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I assume that HAWAIIAN BRIANS still goin strong?
          And speaking of HB, did they once have a location on Keeaumoku at one time?
          I could be confusing them with someone else. It was in the vicinity of The Like Like Drive In. Not to stray off of Vids I got a kick out of playing this certain Rachel McClish Pinball Machine that how should I say made grunting noises

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
            I assume that HAWAIIAN BRIANS still goin strong?
            And speaking of HB, did they once have a location on Keeaumoku at one time?
            I could be confusing them with someone else. It was in the vicinity of The Like Like Drive In. Not to stray off of Vids I got a kick out of playing this certain Rachel McClish Pinball Machine that how should I say made grunting noises
            HB is now on Kapiolani Blvd., and some months ago they were in the news due to noice, loitering, traffic complaints from an adjacent condo.

STRAYING: Classmates of mine were playing there, walked across the street to eat at Diner's, a car came ripping out of the parking lot, lost control and ran them both over.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
              HB is now on Kapiolani Blvd., and some months ago they were in the news due to noice, loitering, traffic complaints from an adjacent condo.

soooo HB was on Keeaumoku at one time.
              I did visit the Kapiolani location and yeah on weekends that place gets SUDDENLY jammed pack bizzy

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                soooo HB was on Keeaumoku at one time.
                It was, right where Ross Dress For Less now stands.

Another '80s establishment still going strong is Chuck E. Cheese's. Of course over there, the coin-op video games were only a supporting element, not the main attraction. (They pay the rent with b-day parties.) And anyhow, if you were over the age of 10, you didn't want to be seen hanging around a Chuck E. Cheese.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  It was, right where Ross Dress For Less now stands.

Another '80s establishment still going strong is Chuck E. Cheese's. Of course over there, the coin-op video games were only a supporting element, not the main attraction. (They pay the rent with b-day parties.) And anyhow, if you were over the age of 10, you didn't want to be seen hanging around a Chuck E. Cheese.
                  Chuck E. Cheese still going with the new generations, if you go, check out the Wheel of Fortune game for kids? Not even, it's for adults!
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                    Chuck E. Cheese still going with the new generations, if you go, check out the Wheel of Fortune game for kids? Not even, it's for adults!
                    Indeed. So much for their slogan, "Where a kid can be a kid."
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

God! I miss Time Pilot.

Comment

The Hawaiian Brian's on Keeamoku had a Popeye's chicken directly across the street...I remember because I had my car towed from there!

And if you think hitting line drive into the obstacles at Castle Park was bad, we used to grab a bunch of balls from the ones that "ate" your balls and used the BMX track just outside as our personal driving range.

And Chuck E.Cheese in Aina Haina was orginally Showbiz, a Chuck E. Cheese ripoff.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                          And if you think hitting line drive into the obstacles at Castle Park was bad, we used to grab a bunch of balls from the ones that "ate" your balls and used the BMX track just outside as our personal driving range. .
                          Hana' koko' lele. And I thought MY friends were bad.

Getting beaned twice at the batting cage takes the cake though! I think I got beaned once. Pitching machines suck. There's just NO character. lol

If anyone has PHOTOS of their time at Castle Park, that would be awesome!

I got nuttin' in photographs, yet for some reason, I have a total visual memory of Castle Park. "Hanabaddah dayz" to da' max!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by oldiebuff View Post
                            Are you referring to Kaimuki Cue? Where last time I checked, it was turned into a Chinese dim sum restaurant that is owned by the same guy who used to own Sea Fortune in Chinatown?
                            Okay I checked the tape out tonight as this has turned into a fun topic. You are correct it was indeed Kaimuki Cue and it was shut down via a FBI/HPD raid 25 years ago. They had the most violations, I see old Poker machines being carried away in the parking lot. Here are some others that were also cited or busted for illegal activity at the time 25 years ago:

Surf Amusement (McCully)
                            Farrington Billiards (N. King St.)
                            Pearl City Fun & Games (P.C. Shopping Center).

Perhaps some of these bring back memories! I have old commercials for Castle Park. That closed in 1987 or so right? Did the shopping center where K-Mart, McDonald's etc. is now near the Stadium replace it?

Aj

Comment

Yep. Castle Park is now Kmart, Sack n Save, Checker, Office Max, Jamba, Starbucks, McDonalds and Chevron on Salt Lake across from Aloha Stadium, called Stadium Marketplace.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

As much fun as it was, Castle Park really needed to close. As I recall, there were drownings (notice the 's'), only went in the water once...and that was enough for me it wasn't all that clean. But, I did love the race track, and never got beaned so the batting cages were fun, but my fave were the video games.

QUICK STORY: After a family day at Castle Park, we hopped in the car and drove home to Manoa. As we were piling out of the car we could all hear a cat howling. We immediately went into the house and all of our cats were fine, happy and dandy! But, we could still hear the crying! We realized that it was coming from the car...a beautiful cat had ridden home with us from Castle Park to Manoa while hanging on to the rear axle!
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X