Favorite "Educational" TV show(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite "Educational" TV show(s)

back when my kiddies were younglings, I tried to get them hooked on Bill Nye the Science Guy (and that other show whose name currently escapes me, but had a similar bent). No dice--they were too young. The eldest was enraptured with Barney, who I hated with a white hot passion.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Yeah, I kinda knew that already, since what I wrote was:
      Kermit and The Muppets
      I kinda figured that would give folks a clue.
      But remember, LN - Kermit and The Muppets were also an integral part of "Sesame Street," the show being discussed in the three posts just prior to yours - hence the opportunity for confusion, hence my clarification. Yer welcome.
      Originally posted by cezanne View Post
      Man there's so much more of the "ed" stuff on TV nowadays. I remember when PBS was the only station that had anything educational... oh yeah that and Wild Kingdom on Sunday afternoon.
      Saw an ad for PBS - on The History Channel last night. They know where else their audience is.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Does "Mythbusters" count? "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe? "Good Eats" with Alton Brown?
        I love these shows, too.

Comment

One outstanding show on PBS during the '90s was Ghostwriter. It was a fictional story about a group of kids and a ghost (named Ghostwriter) who solved mysteries together as a team. I remember most students really liked to watch that show for the entertainment value, but it did teach problem-solving skills as well as encouraging viewers to read books.

My all-time personal favorite educational program was Carl Sagan's Cosmos. The man had an ingenius way of explaining the most complex and abstract ideas to a mainstream (i.e. non-intellectual audience) without dumbing down and diluting the content. Even though it is over 25 years old, 95% of it is still applicable and is worth watching on DVD.

My currently running favorite is on the History Channel. Lost Worlds shows (through CGI technology) what historical sites looked like way back when and each episode always dispenses data and theories which are new and will fascinate even the most jaded history-buff.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            My all-time personal favorite educational program was Carl Sagan's Cosmos. The man had an ingenius way of explaining the most complex and abstract ideas to a mainstream (i.e. non-intellectual audience) without dumbing down and diluting the content. Even though it is over 25 years old, 95% of it is still applicable and is worth watching on DVD.
            Excellent choice, FM. I was happy to see it come out on DVD.

Comment

is Meerkat Manor educational? I like that show... it's got drama, family feuding, battles, survival and a whole lot more wrapped into a nice half hour docu-drama.

The program has certainly piqued my interest about these animals that I have never seen in real life (haven't been to the Zoo in ages and am saddened to learn about the lost meerkat)....
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                is Meerkat Manor educational? I like that show... it's got drama, family feuding, battles, survival and a whole lot more wrapped into a nice half hour docu-drama.

The program has certainly piqued my interest about these animals that I have never seen in real life (haven't been to the Zoo in ages and am saddened to learn about the lost meerkat)....
                Another good show. I just saw that episode earlier. I was saddened as well... I actually almost cried.

Comment

Deadliest Catch educational too!!! Well, if meerkat manor can, den can like dat...
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I think all mentioned so far are educational.

I remember on PBS there was that guy who had a finished painting of a scene or something... then he would go through the steps all over again as to how he accomplished that...all in half an hour! That was real-time. Now how Norm (New Yankee Workshop) can build a hutch from scratch in half an hour is beyond me.

Comment

What about No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel? I think it's the only "educational" program that carries the warning "Some scenes may be objectionable ... etc." on at least some of the shows. I love his audacity.

Then there's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, which usually runs before or after No Reservations.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                        I remember on PBS there was that guy who had a finished painting of a scene or something... then he would go through the steps all over again as to how he accomplished that...all in half an hour!
                        I think I remember that show. The host had a beard and sorta dressed up like a hillbilly.

He was a talented artist and teacher, tho.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          I think I remember that show. The host had a beard and sorta dressed up like a hillbilly.

He was a talented artist and teacher, tho.
                          Haha yeah that's the guy! There was another show featuring a British guy who specialized in "faux painting". He demonstrate how to make plain surfaces look like different woods and stone. He was definitely a master at his craft...unlike the wannabe faux finishers on the DIY shows today.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            What about No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel? I think it's the only "educational" program that carries the warning "Some scenes may be objectionable ... etc." on at least some of the shows.
                            The earlier "Dirty Jobs" episodes have a similar discretion statement at the beginning. (I just saw a rerun with one yesterday, actually.) I guess Discovery stopped tacking it on once the show's mission became pretty well-known.

Comment

Originally posted by liberty View Post
                              The earlier "Dirty Jobs" episodes have a similar discretion statement at the beginning. (I just saw a rerun with one yesterday, actually.) I guess Discovery stopped tacking it on once the show's mission became pretty well-known.
                              I remember Beavis and Butthead of MTV fame had to start tacking on a disclaimer after some kid burned their house down attempting one of Beavis' "Fire!" antics. Apparently there were some anomalies in that lawsuit.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

a recent commercial reminded me of a program that i liked very much: everest: beyond the limit. for some reason, i've always been fascinated with stories related to mountain climbing.

anyway, a new season is coming around on oct 30th:

http://www.cablemediasales.com/pages...t&id=disc_4869

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...estbeyond.html

on a related note, the book 'into thin air' is a very good read:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Into-Thin-Air-...2181532&sr=8-1

it's amazing to think that the things that happened actually happened...
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X