Your idea of a REAL vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your idea of a REAL vacation

I like the sabbatical idea. Whatever the vacation includes, it has to be long. No rushing around or at least not often. Just spend a lot of time some where else and forget about the daily grind.

Comment

Ah, the perfect vacation is a week fishing up in Juneau, Alaska at a lodge run by a couple of local guys. It's on an island, offshore, and there's only 16 of you fisherpeople per group, plus the (local) staff/skippers. No tv, no radio but you do have Internet and cell if you need it (who needs it when you've got all that heavenly scenery). Fish all day for salmon, halibut, butterfish and rockfish. Scenery beyond words; glaciers, mountains, ocean, trees. Wildlife in the forms of bald eagles, dolphins, humpback whales, orcas and sea lions. Come back to lodge for wonderful gourmet dinners w/ an island twist (halibut/salmon sashimi, misoyaki butterfish, prime rib, fresh Dungeness crab). Spend the rest of evening talking story, beach combing or shore fishing for salmon. Fall asleep listening to the waves lapping the shore and the eagles talking in their nests... Get up w/ the sun the next day and do it all over again... Renews one's spirit and soul with the purity and beauty of it all... That is the perfect vacation...
      Lika

Comment

Originally posted by Lika View Post
        [...]Get up w/ the sun the next day and do it all over again... Renews one's spirit and soul with the purity and beauty of it all... That is the perfect vacation...
        Aaaaah, I know whatcha mean. I just returned from the tropical beach version of your perfect vacation...Kona Village Resort. Fishing is an available activity but I chose to watch the turtle races instead! For me, the spiritual regeneration is more important than the physical, mental and emotional. Fortunately, I get all 4 at KVR...and more. Not to mention a filet mignon every day for breakfast! I so want to go back...RIGHT NOW!

Comment

I was thisclose to taking a sabbatical a few years ago. I had just come off of a VERY eventful year and wanted to re-boot & re-charge my system. I planned a 3 month trip on the west coast. I was going to rent a RV and ship a couple of my mountain bikes with me. The plan was to visit all the fabled mountain bike sites from BC to Arizona. Something came up...can't remember what and the plan was scuttled. But ahhhhhh...I'd love to do that one day.

Comment

Being stuck here for six weeks, I think, is a pretty good REAL vacation.

My driving trips to Las Vegas, Reno, Oregon, & Idaho plus those throughout CA could be considered REAL vacations, too.

If I'm by myself, I try not to set any time limits; I drive almost everywhere because I like driving; I expand my dining experiences; and whenever possible, I include meeting up with relatives and longtime friends.
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
            X