Pit Bulls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Bulls?

Going on my third month living on Kaua’i, far exceeding my expectations. Of course there are challenges, (just killed another centipede in my yard today~and had to get the "bee guy" to drive the bees out of the roof) but all in all I'm loving it! One thing I was kind of wondering about...why do so many people here have pit bulls? I can't even walk down the beautiful road I live on with out some wild eyed dog running down the driveway barking like crazy. I feel like I'm strolling through a ghetto in SF. Went to my hula halau and took the wrong drive way the first time I went there ~ I almost got attacked by damn dogs, Kumu had to come out and drive them off. Went to the river to swim across the road from my house and there were guys there with pit bulls in cages in the back of their truck. They were totally cool and friendly, but the dogs looked really menacing. Why do people feel the need for such vicious animals in such a beautiful pristine environment ~ such a dichotomy Pit bulls and Aloha??????? Unless Kahuna Road is really a “Ganja” growing district and people are protecting their crops I don't seen the need for such "protection".
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Pit Bulls????

hmmm...those dogs may LOOK menacing and sometimes they are, but for
    the most part if their owners are RESPONSIBLE and raised their dogs right, you shouldn't be fearful of them. in any even if it is a family dog, regardless of what the breed is they will instinctively protect their property.

i used to have my 150 lb rottweiler sit next to my baby while at the park/beach/outdoor dining areas and when a stranger would come next to her he would just look up, decide if he didn't like you and if he didn't give you a warning/back off growl. if on the other hand he did like you and i felt the same way, he'd just lay there.

we currently have a pitbull mix and he is the most loving and mellow dog.

all im saying is before you blame the BREED, take a good look at the owners.

Comment

What a cute little girl...All I'm saying is a person should be able to walk down the road and nor be intimidated by dogs, yea protect the property but leave people alone when they are not ON the property. So the question is why that particular breed?
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Pitbulls have been a very popular breed here for a very long time and probebly always will be. Dispite the menacing looks and undeserved reputation they are a very gental and loyal breed. The dogs you saw in the cages in the trucks are more than likely pitbull crossed with various other breeds used for hunting pigs. My guess as to the popularity of using them as guard dogs is not to many people would be intimidated by Beagles or a Pomeranian.

Comment

Originally posted by Babooze View Post
          The dogs you saw in the cages in the trucks are more than likely pitbull crossed with various other breeds used for hunting pigs.
          Exactly correct.

My guess as to the popularity of using them as guard dogs is not to many people would be intimidated by Beagles or a Pomeranian.
          Exactly hilarious!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

After being introduced to the Carl books, and after becoming friends with a Rottweiler that belonged to Tony Moniz's mom over on Pau Street, I would have to say Rottweilers are often raised as well-behaved, polite and caring dogs. (My goodness, this is my second praise dogs note in less than 24 hours!).

Carl books have very little text. They are beautiful books. Carl is often charged with babysitting tiny tots. It's a crack up!
            Last edited by lavagal; January 15, 2008, 02:06 PM.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I grew up with them throughout my childhood. My father kept several at a time, believing that these were invaluable creatures. My husband does not like big dogs (having never been raised around them) but I would own them again.

They look scary, but are very loyal and smart animals, and if raised well, quite mellow.

pax

Comment

I am scared of Pomeranians. Chihuahuas are scary too.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  I am scared of Pomeranians. Chihuahuas are scary too.
                  Some people are afraid of Cockroaches .......... I don't think anybody would keep them as guard animals.

Comment

I have to point out that the thing with pitbulls is this...

It's not what they will or won't do, it's what they're capable of doing.

Of course, there are people that train them to be mean, and there are ones that just train them to be gentle, loving house dogs. What the problem for me is that they were bred for fighting, so they have that instinct bred into them already. They have that locking jaw, and fight 'til death instinct already bred into them. That's the difference between a pit and a Rottweiler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

That being said, I have a Rottweiler / Beagle mix, and really love Rotties.

Pit Bulls : I'm weary of them. But that's just me

Last edited by tikiyaki; October 3, 2007, 04:32 AM.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I'm deathly afraid of them. I want to get a dog, but I'd be afraid to walk them in my neighborhood. In fact, that's the top reason I won't get a dog. There might be a dog fight and I won't be able to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                        I'm deathly afraid of them. I want to get a dog, but I'd be afraid to walk them in my neighborhood. In fact, that's the top reason I won't get a dog. There might be a dog fight and I won't be able to do anything.
                        That's my biggest issue with Pit Bulls...It's the fighting with other dogs...mine, yours, everyone else's....I know they're pretty ok with humans, I just get nervous whenever I see one and I have my dog with me.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I guess dealing with the Pit Bull issue is something I will have to face and get over. I don’t know it the story made it here to HI but I knew the upstairs neighbor of Nicholas Faibish the little boy that was killed by his family’s Pit Bulls. I guess it’s simply another demon to face and learn a life’s lesson. My experience with the breed has not been a good one. I can also site other examples of incidents involving this breed but I also know that animals like children are innocent victims of their environment. Thanks for the information, I have never felt like I needed “protection” form an animal but who knows why people feel that they need this security for their home and families.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I grew up with them throughout my childhood. My father kept several at a time, believing that these were invaluable creatures. My husband does not like big dogs (having never been raised around them) but I would own them again.

They look scary, but are very loyal and smart animals, and if raised well, quite mellow.
                            Did your father value them for their ability to protect or hunt or fight? My family has had them as well but I sometimes feel about them what I feel about a loaded weapon in the house. And even if I supported keeping a gun in the house why would one need a .44 Magnum? Moreover, could the choice of .44 Magnum or Pit Bull say something about the owner or their worldview? KWIM?
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

we lived in the rural forest. There were feral pig problems. If there were outlaws around, who could hear us scream?

Those 'bulls were our protectors.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X