GMail tips and tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GMail tips and tricks

I got 18 new gmail invites from my 3 accounts.

Sure, I can use them to create names so that others can't use it, but I'm generous.

Drop me an email at either of these address: Adri1456 at gmail.com, Adelossa at gmail.com or docboy at gmail.com and I'll send you one.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Gmail invites have definitely become an excess commodity among geeks these days. With various online communities overflowing with invites now, folks are starting to gripe that Google should just open the service up to the public, already, rather than making its users do their marketing work for them.

Comment

I picked up a Gmail account from someone else a while ago, and I have started noticing the bit that the critics have been talking about where Gmail reads your mail and tailors the side-bar advertisements accordingly. I was reviewing a thread where I was emailing a friend about where we were going to vote on Saturday, and I noticed that the side-bar was full of ads like "Register to Vote 2004" and "Vote With The Facts Guide" and "W Ketchup" (!). It's just like when you do a Google search - the system parses the text you provide and tries to match you up with their advertisers. Hmmm.
        Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 20, 2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Glen, where you been? Since the day Gmail launched in beta, there's been much hand-wringing over its e-mail scanning and relevant-ad serving. There's the Gmail Is Too Creepy site, and believe it or not, California's legislature is paranoid about it too.

The irony is, all e-mail providers scan your mail anyway, using all varieties of filters and formulas, usually looking for things like spam and viruses. Gmail is just making more direct use of the things in your message. It is a little weird to be reading an e-mail about food from a friend and seeing ads for restaurants, but hey... it's relevant. It beats reading about a family tragedy and seeing an ad for a dating service, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Glen, where you been? Since the day Gmail launched in beta, there's been much hand-wringing over its e-mail scanning and relevant-ad serving.
            Oh, I've read all that stuff too. But it's one thing to read about it, and somehow another to actually see it on your own email page.

The irony is, all e-mail providers scan your mail anyway, using all varieties of filters and formulas, usually looking for things like spam and viruses. Gmail is just making more direct use of the things in your message.
            True. When explaining email to computer-phobic relatives, I always use the analogy that standard email is like a message on a postcard. Is it really a big deal if the postman glances at it?

Comment

Those targeted ads aren't as different from the google ads on this and other websites.

One of the reasons why I have multiple accounts, is so that I can keep my private life private and my professional life professional.

How else is google supposed to give you 1gb of inbox space for free? If the ads bother you, then pay for your mail.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Question for Gmail users: When I try to print email that I have received or sent sometimes the text prints out really tiny. Does anyone know how to fix this so the print is a legible "normal" font size?

Also, in case you haven't noticed yet, if you have gmail and do a google search, google will save your search history (I believe you need to be logged in to gmail when you do the search but I could be wrong there) and you can access your search history from your gmail account (the "all my services" link takes you to a page with a search history link). It appears to be independent from the google search history so if you want to delete your search history, you need to do it from the google page and from the gmail search history page. There is an option to "pause" the collecting of search history on the gmail page. Of course, deleting one's search history from google and gmail doesn't mean that google has deleted your search history from their records

Comment

Aloha gang...

since some of you are already on gmail, what's your thoughts on placing you mobile number on Gmail to receive your e-mail on you cell phone??

http://www.google.com/mobile/gmail/#...tm_campaign=en

I have been thinking about it quite a lot, but have been more hesitant to do it.

What's your thoughts, ideas, & feelings about it??

Go for it? or don't due to the fact that my cell phone migh become vulnerable to more spam coming into my phone??.

Has any one tried it yet? have been happy with it or not?

please message back on this side.

Thank you.

You ideas, & thoughts would be greately appreciated.

P.S. since I am with T-Mobile, I have asked them in reagards to this idea, & I was told that, it will be used to your phone as a text messages.

hope to hear from any one oon.

Aloha.
                  Aches & Pains
                  (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                    since some of you are already on gmail, what's your thoughts on placing you mobile number on Gmail to receive your e-mail on you cell phone??
                    I do that, and I like it. I wouldn't rely on it for routine access, but it's great when you're away from your regular Internet access and need stay up to date on your emails. You can see if anything important has come in, and if so then you can read it on your phone. Responding is another story -- imagine writing a regular email using a keypad, bleagh! You can if you have to, but at that point I usually try to find a computer and log onto Gmail.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      I do that, and I like it. I wouldn't rely on it for routine access, but it's great when you're away from your regular Internet access and need stay up to date on your emails. You can see if anything important has come in, and if so then you can read it on your phone. Responding is another story -- imagine writing a regular email using a keypad, bleagh! You can if you have to, but at that point I usually try to find a computer and log onto Gmail.
                      How long have you loged your phone number into gmail to receive
                      your e-mail??

and you have not received any spam yet???

and you were not worried about getting spamed on your phone down the road??

Is it really a secure site, that it would be ok for me to go ahead to log my cell phone #?

Hope to hear from you soon, or any one at all.

Thanks again, & aloha.
                      Aches & Pains

Comment

Midsummer last year, I got a Motorola Q and subscribed to the web service. I set up only my gmail account for it. It works really nicely--mainly because of how well gmail mail filters spam. My phone uses a mobile Outlook interface--but I like the look of gmail's.

I will be cancelling the web service as soon as I get around to it. $45/month is too much just to read my email on the go. The wireless sync for contacts and emails is nice, but I can do it almost as easily with a usb cable.

Serenity: Will you be getting your emails as sms text messages? or do you have internet services enabled on your phone also?

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
                          Midsummer last year, I got a Motorola Q and subscribed to the web service. I set up only my gmail account for it. It works really nicely--mainly because of how well gmail mail filters spam. My phone uses a mobile Outlook interface--but I like the look of gmail's.

I will be cancelling the web service as soon as I get around to it. $45/month is too much just to read my email on the go. The wireless sync for contacts and emails is nice, but I can do it almost as easily with a usb cable.

Serenity: Will you be getting your emails as sms text messages? or do you have internet services enabled on your phone also?
                          I called my T-Mobile service, & I think they said that I will probably get in a text form, they weren't too clear on how gmail works, so they told me that I will (probably) get it a text form, but I also have some kind of internet capability, I can check my regular R.R. & College e-mail on my phone, (which has the capability to add other e-mails on my phone), but I tried to add GMail along with my other e-mail, but can't do it that way.

I guess, I would have to add my phone # to Gmail, if I want to receive further
                          e-mails from GMail.

My phone is a samsung X495, which I tried to look for the picture, but I couldn 't find it any more, all I see is the most recent ones, that is a lot like it:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...1-9ef8a4bb44f0

I can also read newspapers from my phone etc.

So, yeah, I have some kind of internet with it, but not sure if I can actually access GMail itself. Maybe I just haven't ventured far enoug into my phone .

I guess, if I wanted to access my gmail, I would probably have to add my Phone # to my GMail to receive any messages?. (& probably would receive it as text message, not sure).

Oh by the way, if I add on my phone number to GMail, & later become un satisfied with it, is there a way to delete it, or take it out of my phone?

AlohaTim, what kind of webservice do you have? if you don't mind me asking?

Well, thanks for the message, hope to hear from you soon, (or any one at all).

Aloha, & have a good Sunday.
                          Last edited by Serenity; February 11, 2007, 09:12 AM.
                          Aches & Pains

Comment

Serenity: I think it is called Verizon BroadbandAccess EV-DO for handhelds. It sounds like you already have internet access associated with your phone. I don't think you would be getting your email as sms text messages (the kind you pay for by the message).

You are not really giving google your cell number. Rather, your phone goes out on the internet and contacts the google mail server with your account name and password. It gets your mail and delivers it to your phone. In my case, I see it through the Outlook mail client that is part of windows mobile. It looks like google has its own client that you can install on a phone. I hope I am describing this accurately. Anyone else care to jump in?

Comment

By the way, Gang....

How on earth do I or can I make an extra folder on the left hand side, so that if I want to save any incoming mail (or any mail that I have forwarded to my gmail) for future reference?

Hope to hear from any one soon.

Thank you & Aloha.
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

As far as I know, Gmail has no concept of folders. Everything basically stays in your inbox indefinitely. What they do is "tags". You can define a set of tags and then apply them to messages. These become searches that you can click on, on the left side. You can then tag messages as "archived" and they'll disappear from your main inbox folder, but still be visible under tag searches and under "All Messages". That sounds a lot like regular mail folders except that you can put messages in multiple "folders" with the tags.. super cool

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X