Story on Airport Contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story on Airport Contracts

Another article where the Star-Bulletin did a more aggressive and thorough job reporting the same story?

Some points in the SB article are not even mentioned in the Advertiser article and the fact that the state screwed up is barely mentioned by the
    Advertiser and the fact the state screwed up is made very very clear by the SB more so than by the Advertiser

I find it sorta laughable the Advertiser article ends with a quote saying the state luckily discovered the scheme.

What a joke for the state to say that...they were incompetent in letting this thing run for over a decade.

Lastly, neither paper nor the broadcast media are digging into the REAL STORY...who are the politicians who allegedly were receiving these funds?

That is the big story right there...and could be the tip of the iceberg of a huge scandal involving one political party in the State of Hawaii.

Does this system of getting taxpayers to pay for politicians exist?

Are we financing their campaigns and how deep does it really go?

==============

Advertiser:

Two state officials and a contractor convicted in an airport bid rigging scandal that cost taxpayers more than $4 million were sentenced yesterday to at least five years in prison each and ordered to pay their share of a $5 million penalty.

Dennis Hirokawa, 65, a former airports maintenance supervisor whom prosecutors pointed to as the central cog of the operation, was sentenced to nine years in prison. Former contractor Michael Furukawa, 62, was sentenced to six years and three months, and former state employee Richard Okada, 66, was sentenced to five years.

read below for SB story

Moderator's note: Please read FAQ regarding quoting.
    Last edited by mel; October 5, 2007, 10:08 AM. Reason: Violation of quote / excerpt rule

Re: Story on Airport Contracts

SB:

A federal judge yesterday slapped stiff sentences on two former state officials and a contractor who bilked taxpayers for a decade through a bid-rigging conspiracy involving airport work.
    Citing harm to the public's trust, U.S. District Judge David Ezra sentenced former Honolulu Airport maintenance superintendent Dennis Hirokawa, 65, to nine years in prison.
    "The defendant treated the airport contracting process as if it was his own piggy bank," Ezra said.
    The judge also sentenced Richard Okada, 66, director of the Honolulu Visitor Information Program, to the statutory maximum of five years' imprisonment, and contractor Michael Furukawa, 75, to six years and three months.
    The sentences wrap up a joint federal-state investigation that began more than seven years ago when airport auditors were struck by the high price tag -- $14,000 -- for four plywood planter boxes for holiday poinsettias.
    Moderator's note: Please read FAQ on quoting / excerpt.
    Last edited by mel; October 5, 2007, 10:12 AM. Reason: quote / excerpt rule

Comment

Hui! We all know how to go to urls (links). No need to post entire articles.

As foa the story...they got caught and they will do their time.

If there are Politicians involved, eventually the truth will come out.

In time.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

sorry!

I'll do that next time

Comment

Working...
        X