Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn: Older locals - Anyone here fans of Gene Rains ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Older locals - Anyone here fans of Gene Rains ?

I made this attention to older locals, but not to be be discriminatory.
    I've been getting into the music of Gene Rains lately. Most likely no one in here has heard of him, but he was a local Exotica artist who released 3 records. Very much in the style of Martin Denny,Arthur Lyman, but I actually like these records better.

http://www.blognow.com.au/XtabaysWorld/70710/

These records are really wonderful, if you're into this forgotten style of lounge jazz, most recognizeable by the sound of the vibraphone, and lots of jungle percussion.

Gene was from Hawaii, so I'm told, and there is almost nothing about the guy on the internet.

Some of you older cats may know the name, or maybe your parents do.

If you have any info on the guy,I'd love to hear it.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Attn: Older locals - Anyone here fans of Gene Rains ?

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    I've been getting into the music of Gene Rains lately. (...) If you have any info on the guy,I'd love to hear it.
    I recall hearing the name. Your best chance is probably Jay Junker, a professor in the music department at the University of Hawaii/Manoa. Then go to Harry B. Soria... journalists Ben Wood, Wayne Harada, and John Berger... maybe even Tom Moffatt.
    $10 says Jay Junker will be the one to have tons of info, though.
    Please keep us posted!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Attn: Older locals - Anyone here fans of Gene Rains ?

don't know who owns the rights to the songs but it'd be cool if they were available for downloading from some site...
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
      X