• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: personal medical trials and tribulations

Congrats on the baby making Kelly!

Mike....psst.....take off the blindfold ;p

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Somehow I completely missed this thread, and just found your post from October 5th. I'm sure I speak for all of us at HT in saying that our thoughts and prayers will be with you and Sienna tomorrow.
    Thanks....but.....

She was contrary as always. She went and jumped the gun and seized just as they were starting to stick the wires on her scalp...then didn't seize the whole time we were there and they were recording.

By the way, if anyone knows of someone trying to decide on a career in the medical field and also happens to be a techno slut, tell em to look into the neuro-technology fields (not just the plain eeg/radiology type techs...research and follow the big toys and innovations). It's wide open and there's such a need for them they could go anywhere in the world for work.

Comment

Unfortunately, bumping this thread.

Mama called this morning; lives alone on the other side of the world, saw a surgeon this am about having a lung cancer removed.

I am in the midst of trying to figure out how to handle this. I am considering bringing her out here, since I cannot go there for an extended time. Anyone vouch for a local thoracic surgeon and/or oncologist? Mom's docs feel this cancer is isolated and so far has not spread outside one lobe.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        Unfortunately, bumping this thread.

Mama called this morning; lives alone on the other side of the world, saw a surgeon this am about having a lung cancer removed.

I am in the midst of trying to figure out how to handle this. I am considering bringing her out here, since I cannot go there for an extended time. Anyone vouch for a local thoracic surgeon and/or oncologist? Mom's docs feel this cancer is isolated and so far has not spread outside one lobe.

Thanks.
        Sorry to hear that, 99.
        From what I've heard, most open-chest surguries opt to go to California, as my spouse did with a bilateral pulmonary thrombo-endoarterectomy (sp?). No one here could do it. Thank G she survived.

To respond to the theme of the thread, I guess my two scariest moments were:

1. Watching the puppy I had played with and who licked my face, eyes, and lips - die from rabies. The shots weren't as bad as they claim.

2. Becoming conscious on the ground, unable to move my hands or feet, or feel anything from my neck down. Heh, at least it didn't hurt.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The worst medical problem I ever had...wasn't mine. It was our son's. At age 4 months, he was found to have testicular cancer. The regular 4-month checkup turned into a dizzying merry-go-round of doctors, surgery on a Saturday (right before his first Christmas), and getting to know Childrens Hospital LA like the backs of our hands.

At his regular checkup, the pediatrician happened to feel of his testicular area, and kept going back, then finally calling in another doctor in the group. They said it was probably nothing, but they sent us to a urologist that very day, who didn't see us till about 6:30 on a Friday night. When he examined him, he also called in one of his associates, and then they went out in the hallway to talk. I knew then that we were in trouble. They came back & said he had to have surgery immediately; I began to bawl, and my husband almost fainted. We spent a good portion of that evening with our baby having blood drawn, and all kinds of other tests. It didn't matter, though, because we couldn't sleep anyway. Then we had to be at the hospital at 6 AM. Surgery was successful--they removed his right testicle--but all kinds of tests had to be done to see if it had spread. We didn't get the word on that until one week later, the following Friday, but the results were negative--the tumor was a "yolk sac carcinoma", which meant that it was pretty much enclosed to that one area. During that time, we got hooked up with the head of oncology at Childrens--who is a wonderful, wonderful person and doctor. We were down there every 3 weeks for all kinds of tests. Sometimes his blood tests were just OK--and sometimes they were fantastic. The fantastic ones always seemed to happen when there had been a special outpouring of prayer, like thru our church. (They were watching his blood for alpha-feto protein, which was a marker this tumor was emitting, and the lower it gets, the better)

Right before his first birthday, his blood work came back normal. And it has stayed normal ever since. After the first couple of years, the doctor visits started to get further & further apart, until they got to once a year, which he still does. Childrens Hospital (there's no apostrophe used in 'Childrens') still sees him, even though he's going on 22, and they will follow him as long as he will go there, which he certainly intends to keep doing. They are tracking him for reference. He actually made it into a medical journal because he was so very young to have a "grown man's disease". I couldn't find anything to read that wasn't written for the 18-35 age group!

To say it was a tough time is putting it mildly. The first few months of his life, in particular, were a blur of hospitals and doctors, yet he was still a happy little sweetie. Today, he is a strapping, healthy young man with a real zest for life, one who realizes that God has something very special in store for him. Doctors say he can definitely still father children someday. He never had chemo or radiation, thank God. He is indeed our living miracle.

Sorry to ramble on but I love to relate his story. I always tells people who have a new son or grandson, "Be sure the doctor checks him all over"--it could have easily been missed. I don't dwell on it with people, but I feel it's better to be informed and to pass on that info to others!

Comment

HawaiiMama, what a wonderful story of recovery! Yes, early detection is oftentimes what matters the most. A simple test or exam can be the difference between catching a problem early enough to successfully intervene, or not having the chance to do so.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I purposely skipped reading this thread till now.
              Been dealing with a friend's death and ongoing medical problems of another close friend.

Wow. I wish you all, all the very best.
              I'm just living in denial of what may be... haven't seen a doctor for years...
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                I'm just living in denial of what may be... haven't seen a doctor for years...
                GO! You just might get confirmation that you are in excellent health.

But you are at an age where the risks are getting a little higher, so get outta that Egyptian river, and get checked over - for the sake of your family, okay?

Comment

I took care of an aunt that ended her battle with breast cancer a decade and some ago.

Painful years. Her personal trials and tribulations were that of my own as well. In and out of the hospital/chemo doctors etc. A favourite aunt of mine; like a mother to me. (She was without children) Unfortunately her battle with cancer ended during the last semester while working on my under-grad degree. I was devastated.

Not once I seen my aunt cried or gave up. I did most of the crying during her battle with breast cancer.

I was sad; very sad. I was there till the end. *sighs*

So like M.M I avoid doctors and hospitals.

Have a pleasant weekend HT ohana.

Mahalo - malama pono
                  stay forever young

Comment

i'm sorry for going off topic here. that apology made, i have to say it really bothers me to see SP's, MM's & cezanne's posts about avoiding the doctor, etc. etc. ultimately, it's a patient's right to refuse care, even to the point of not getting checked out regularly or refusing to go to a healthcare provider's door to have a new problem looked at. i totally respect that. i just would like you to take a little time to consider the effect your choice has on the people who love you, should they lose you suddenly for something that could have been treated.

one recent example is this poor fellow. had he gotten checked sooner, he might still be alive and continuing his vibrant contributions to society. if you look at the comments in topix, the very last one on page 3 will make your heart break.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      i just would like you to take a little time to consider the effect your choice has on the people who love you, should they lose you suddenly for something that could have been treated.
                      Can I just say - she's got my back here?
                      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      ...get checked over - for the sake of your family, okay?
                      Thanks, C.

Comment

Working...
                      X