Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieting and Staying Healthy!

K-den. On the Dinner thread, I started the derailing.

I apologize.

So here's a thread foa Dieting and Staying HEALTHY!

Originally posted by woodman View Post
    I mean same page as far as yielding results from better eating habits (I refuse to use that other four-letter word). I would not LIKE to stop eating certain foods altogether, but if that's what it takes then I guess I would just have to do it.
    heheheh

It's going to be a battle foa me. I love Food and Food loves me! After all, I'm a Cook and a Book Book! LOL One day at a time. It can be done. On this thread let's share what we're doing. On the other threads we can put down wat we eating. If you cheat, you only cheat yourself. ha ha ha ha

Good luck!!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; October 7, 2007, 01:28 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

I'm thinking to eat brown rice on or twice a week. More vegetables, more fish and less meat & white rice.

Comment

eat what you enjoy but moderation is key.

Comment

double post. Disregard.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

triple post! Disregard!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

From the "What's For Dinner" thread...

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
            Well, I've been sorta on a "weight management" plan (don't like the term "diet" either!) this year. I cut portion sizes and try to make better choices (but that's hard for me because I am so picky and do not like vegetables!) I also started walking. I have lost 42lbs so far this year. I intend to lose more...
            That is awesome! Congratulations! Is that you in your Avatar? If so, you don't look like you need to lose anymore.

I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to food decadence. On Saturdays and Sundays, ribs, steaks & burgers all have a place on my grill and in my heart. That's also the time I get all the "good stuff" to blog about.

But on the weekdays, I try to be a "good boy". Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Cottage Cheese or an Avocado (the good fat!) for lunch, alternating with either S&S Saimin or a Tuna Sandwich. And usually a small bento with a fish entree (like Saba) for dinner. For snacking, I like to simply nibble on a carrot, boiled peanuts or edamame (steamed soy beans). And I find all these things just as satisfying as steaks, ribs and burgers, just in a different way. You feel cleaner and more alert. Not so weighted-down.

Quite honestly, I could lose about 20 lbs. to get me closer to my high school weight, which then I was very lean (into bodybuilding). Gotta' hit the beach more often. I went swimming today!

I know a guy who lost over 100 lbs. through diet and exercise. He told me the secret to his success was NO SNACKS. He said chips, candy and other stuff like that (even mochi crunch) is no good if you're serious about losing weight.

I see you... put down those Doritos!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm on Nutrasystem. Kickin' and screamin'! I'm a cook, too, so this is such an effort for me. I had some backsliding last week, so I'm trying to get back on the program. I do well, then if my kid doesn't finish something, I finish that, too. So that's not so good. I'm half way to my goal. I actually take the dinner entrees to work. On average they are 260 calories a serving. There are things like whipped sweet potatoes with cheese, mashed potatoes with brocoli, pasta cups, and things like chili and beans, minestrone soup, pasta cacciatori, pasta and beef. For breakfast there are powdered egg cups that I prepare and add salsa to for flavor; and there are lots of envelopes to make single servings of pancakes: chocolate chip, blueberry or plain. I don't have time to make pancakes!

I think the Nutrasystem method relies heavily on the bean-carbo combo and high protein counts and so my kids get a kick out of toot-toots in the evening. You supply your own fruits and veggies. They provide toppings for on salads, too, such as turkey chunks in balsamic vinegar or chicken chunks in Thousand Island dressing (not even close to mayo-ketchup-relish). Overall, they've done a good job of improving the flavors. Spicy is pretty spicy as in the chili and New Orleans' style chicken-sausage combo.

I also get up at 3:40 each morning to work out at the Hawaii Kai 24HF. I'm home by 4:55 and I am out of the house by 5:30 to catch the express bus to town. You should see me at 2 p.m. SCARY. Why can't corporate Hawaii see the benefit of an afternoon siesta?
              Last edited by lavagal; October 7, 2007, 03:34 PM.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                From the "What's For Dinner" thread...

That is awesome! Congratulations! Is that you in your Avatar? If so, you don't look like you need to lose anymore.

Well... the head is mine (from a few years back...) and the body belongs to Angelina Jolie (from the Mr & Mrs Smith film poster) ahh the wonders of PhotoShop!

Weekends are hard for me too because we go out as a family and stuff...

But on the weekdays, I usually eat a breakfast bar for both breakfast and lunch, try not to snack, drink alot of water, try to walk on the treadmill, and eat a moderate dinner with the family. I also have cut down on coke, which i think made a difference too. I don't buy it to keep at home anymore, so I just have it when we eat out... Oh yeah, I stopped drinking chocolate milk too... I don't really know much facts about nutrition and stuff, but it seemed kinda like a catch-22 with this. I mean, milk has vitamins and calcium (healthy stuff), right? But chocolate milk has more fat, right? i don't drink white milk so i just stopped drinking milk completely.
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

If you are drinking store-bought chocolate milk, then it's usually lowfat or nonfat. If you make it at home, then you should be in control of what the fat content is in your milk.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    If you are drinking store-bought chocolate milk, then it's usually lowfat or nonfat. If you make it at home, then you should be in control of what the fat content is in your milk.
                    It's the store bought lowfat kind... but I figured I could just skip it all together and that would be that many less calories for me. I drink water instead so no calories is better than some calories...
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      I'm on Nutrasystem. Kickin' and screamin'! I'm a cook, too, so this is such an effort for me. I had some backsliding last week, so I'm trying to get back on the program. I do well, then if my kid doesn't finish something, I finish that, too. So that's not so good. I'm half way to my goal...
                      If you can stick with the Nutrisystem, do! It really works. I lost 40 lbs with Nutrisystem and Exercise in 3 months. It's not easy to stick with it, but it worked for me. I weaned off after 3 months and started eating the right foods.

I've been able to keep the weight off for 3 years now by eating in moderation and continuing with my exercise. The key was to lose the weight in the beginning and jump my motabolism. It has helped me change my life!
                      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I was up this morning exercising on my Rollerblade machine. Actually, I was screaming! "Oweeeeee! Oh! My leg!" I took it slow, made it through the grumblings and moomoo leg.heheheh Wat a sweat.

Made a cup of hot tea and moa sweat came out.

I got alot wata in me das foa shua.

HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I gained 15 pounds this year! I've been up and down the scale since my teens. Just as I reach my goal weight, I'm shoving the food back in again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                            If you can stick with the Nutrisystem, do! It really works. I lost 40 lbs with Nutrisystem and Exercise in 3 months. It's not easy to stick with it, but it worked for me. I weaned off after 3 months and started eating the right foods.

I've been able to keep the weight off for 3 years now by eating in moderation and continuing with my exercise. The key was to lose the weight in the beginning and jump my motabolism. It has helped me change my life!
                            Thanks, Kalei. I have a brain block on the spelling. When I first submitted I put an S at the end of the name, haha. That's what 26 years in Hawaii does to you, LOL.
                            Three weeks ago I started at the 24HF in Hawaii Kai. It is not easy to get out of bed as early as I do, but once I'm getting my exercise clothing on, I'm amping to get over there and to get it done with. I had new music this morning, too, so that helped. "They call me the breeze...I keep blowin' down the road..." it's amazing how music can distract you just enough to help you zone out. I have no idea what some of the stuff I have is..."This transmission is coming to you....Roger, you are go..." so it's a trip, but it keeps me going!

I want to be an AFTER!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Boy do I know this topic. Over the years I've lost and gained back hundreds of pounds. But this year has been different. I've lost 65 pounds and am still going. The how is simple, but doing it has been the challenge. We already know what is and isn't good for us...just a matter of being "good-er" than "bad-er". And exercise...it's absolutely necessary. My personal changes have been, no "white food" in quantity (white rice, white flour, pasta, sugar) and 1 hour of cardio exercise 5-6 times a week plus weight training 2-3 times a week. The only thing that has derailed me has been an injury that has kept my workouts scattered for the last month (which I re-tweaked this weekend gunfunit!).

I've also been getting lots of encouragement from this websites podcasts...
                              motivationtomove.com

Good luck to any and all on this path too...

Comment

Working...
                              X