Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
    Boy do I know this topic. Over the years I've lost and gained back hundreds of pounds. But this year has been different. I've lost 65 pounds and am still going. The how is simple, but doing it has been the challenge. We already know what is and isn't good for us...just a matter of being "good-er" than "bad-er". And exercise...it's absolutely necessary. My personal changes have been, no "white food" in quantity (white rice, white flour, pasta, sugar) and 1 hour of cardio exercise 5-6 times a week plus weight training 2-3 times a week. The only thing that has derailed me has been an injury that has kept my workouts scattered for the last month (which I re-tweaked this weekend gunfunit!).

I've also been getting lots of encouragement from this websites podcasts...
    motivationtomove.com

Good luck to any and all on this path too...

Way to go, Jeff! Keep up the gooooooood work!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It is indeed hard when you have to cook for everybody.

PLUS, when I see it left over, I figure if I don't eat it then it's only going to be left to rot, and that is a waste. I've seen it happen.

Sunday dinner was steak.
      Monday breakfast was steak sandwich. Dinner was Lasagna.
      Today breakfast was 2 piece chicken, kim chee, chow fun, bean sprouts from the okazu-ya.

Dinner is spaghetti & meatballs (beer cocktails; Foster's).

...baby steps.

Comment

I've lost 65 pounds and am still going.
        Good luck to any and all on this path too...
        Woo-hoo that's awesome! Good for you!
        I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

. My personal changes have been, no "white food" in quantity (white rice, white flour, pasta, sugar) and 1 hour of cardio exercise 5-6 times a week plus weight training 2-3 times a week. ...
          I absolutely agree. It's tough to do, but the "no white" philiosophy really works. I still eat them...but in moderate portions. I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and I've replaced my pastas with either wheat or multi-grain.

There's a good book that I've read called Superfoods. I try to incorporate the 14 items in the book into most of my meals.

Congrats on all the weight loss!
          So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Congratulations Jeff!

As foa me, I am struggling.

I had a rough night. I wanted to eat a Banana Royal so bad. Anything with chocolate would have stop my craving but P.K. neva give in. Den I wanted a Roast Beef Sandwich which could have easily been made. Once again P.K. refused. I was MAD! He gave me carrot and celery sticks instead. And a cup of Apple juice. I wanted to shove the sticks in his face and throw the juice up his nostrils. But I didn't.heheheh

In a few minutes I'll be doing my Rollerblade exercises.

Have a Great and Healthy Day!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Cannot forget the exercise routine in conjunction with the diet.

Forbidden foods:

GRACE'S INN - BBQ pork spare ribs;
              IGE'S - shoyu pork;
              breakfast meats - Spam; bacon; link sausage.

Last night, I went to Flamingo's and ordered saute'ed mahi.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                If you are drinking store-bought chocolate milk, then it's usually lowfat or nonfat. If you make it at home, then you should be in control of what the fat content is in your milk.
                Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                It's the store bought lowfat kind... but I figured I could just skip it all together and that would be that many less calories for me. I drink water instead so no calories is better than some calories...

if i understand correctly, the problem with chocolate milk, whether low fat or non-fat, is how much sugar there is in comparison with plain low fat or non fat millk. take a look sometime.

my solution, if i wanted chocolate milk, was to mix some unsweetened cocoa powder, like hershey's, along with a little splenda, into non fat milk.

additionally, for those of you chocoholics, i say forbear all mainstream chocolate (hershey's, nestle's, godiva, even!), all of which have little cacao and plaaaaaany sugar. try chocolate that has higher cacao content, like 50% or 60% or even 89%--they're readily available even in gas station stores but cost $3.00 versus less than a dollar for the mainstream chocolate stuff. the flavor is richer, more intense, and if you're like me, one or two inches worth of that stuff will satisfy in ways that a couple of king sized snickers bars never could. i mean, doesn't 74% dark chocolate with chilies & nibs or 74% dark chocolate, berries and vanilla or even a chai flavored organic milk chocolate sound so much better than plain old sugary milk chocolate with crisp rice?

aaaaaaaaaack! i was gonna provide links to those chocolate flavors from dagoba but their online store is closed for now. bleh!
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I so want a Iced Mocha from StarBucks.

Alas, all I have is my water.

It's HARD!!!

But I'm doing it.

HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

It is hard! But stay with it, Auntie. You can do it!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      i don't remember who it was but there was a comedian on tv who said something like, "let's call it what it is: a MILKSHAKE!" ha! ha!
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Alas, all I have is my water.

It's HARD!!!

But I'm doing it.

HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                        Lynn - if you want an Iced Mocha, then go get one! but, have them make it with non fat milk and use splenda or equal to sweeten it. You get what you want with no fat, no sugar and very few calories. Best of both worlds.

If you constantly deprive yourself, you won't last on your diet - thats a proven fact. There are ways to eat healthy and still be able to enjoy treats. Ask your Dr. to send you to a Nutritionist to learn HOW to eat. There is a magazine called "Cooking Light" that teaches you how to cook your favorite recipes but cuts the calories/fat in them.

and if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, then we need to talk privately. You might just be surprised.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          Lynn - if you want an Iced Mocha, then go get one! but, have them make it with non fat milk and use splenda or equal to sweeten it. You get what you want with no fat, no sugar and very few calories. Best of both worlds.

and if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, then we need to talk privately. You might just be surprised.
                          Sis Fran, It's not that easy foa me. I have other problems. Instead of one, I like two and so forth. I end up eating one of the delicious desserts. I know you know wat you talking about. I have my own Diet Plan which I follow and it works...I do lose the pounds. The reason I gained it all back, I went off it and I stopped smoking.

Love Ya!

Lynn

Comment

In regard to exercise, one thing to keep in mind is to regularly stretch your body to keep it flexible. Especially for your back. Doing this can prevent potential joint, ligament and/or muscle injury and will make your exercising more efficient.

I strained my back a few years ago from neglecting stretching and overall bad sleeping posture. Ever since then, I stretch out daily.

With legs straight and knees locked, I can touch my toes! I should work on reaching there with my palms.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Did my wishbone stretch today.

More brown rice w/bai chai & chicken. Had manapua pork hash & 2 half moon, too.

That'll keep me til dinner.

Comment

Here's a pretty good news article published today about the effects of diet and cancer...

What to eat and what to avoid to cut cancer risk
                                Fill your diet with veggies, fiber, vitamin D and calcium to prevent disease

When it comes to the question of whether you'll get cancer, it often seems that your fate is a mysterious combination of factors beyond your control. We all know someone who smoked, drank and ate bacon every day yet escaped a diagnosis. And far more disheartening, we also know people who lived a virtuously healthy life only to develop the disease. Add to that the confusion over what actually is the right way to avoid the Big C. In fact, three in four people believe there are so many recommendations about preventing breast, colon, lung and other cancers that it's hard to know which guidelines to follow.
                                This is so true. I know (or knew) folks on both sides of this equation.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X