Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

What works for me is to learn how to cook healthy and very tasty food. Sometimes I'll take a break and not cook but the consistency keeps me on track as far as weight and health goes.

Keep portions "medium size". Too much of any kind of food isn't good either.

Working out helps a lot too. I'm so lazy compared to my youth but I'm still active most of the time. Even if its more mellow type of exercise.

Comment

I am bummed - I had to work overtime every day last week and was unable to walk on the treadmill ... Hopefully, this week will be better ...
      I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
        Boy do I know this topic. Over the years I've lost and gained back hundreds of pounds. But this year has been different. I've lost 65 pounds and am still going.[...]
        WHOA! High 5 to you! It's time to change your screen name, FJ!
        Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I so want a Iced Mocha from StarBucks.[...]
        Originally posted by shaveice View Post
        i don't remember who it was but there was a comedian on tv who said something like, "let's call it what it is: a MILKSHAKE!" ha! ha!
        I could be wrong but I think Iced Mochas and Frappachino's are different. IMs are more slushy, I think. Frapps are milkshake consistency and better than any milkshake I've ever had. Oh wait...while on vacation last week, one of the resort's bartenders made a "Mango Float". OMG!...to die for. It's his recipe and it contains rum but since I managed to devour one at lunch each day...to the exclusion of food!...I ordered the virgin version! <ggg>

Auntie...since you're creative in the kitchen I bet you could come up with a healthier version of the iced mocha that would still satifsy your craving. Splenda based syrups (Torino and Da Vinci) are a huge help.

Comment

Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
          Boy do I know this topic. Over the years I've lost and gained back hundreds of pounds. But this year has been different. I've lost 65 pounds and am still going.[...]
          WHOA! High 5 to you! It's time to change your screen name, FJ!

That 65 brought me from "Measure that man for a coffin Fat Jeff" to simply "Fat Jeff". Ask me again in another 80 pounds and I'll be ready to drop the "Fat".

Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
          I so want a Iced Mocha from StarBucks.[...]

Auntie Lynn, try order a "Light Mocha". As I understand it they use non-fat milk and sugar free syrup. Another alternative is a "Non-Fat Sugar Free Vanilla Latte"...it's a mouthful to order but it takes care of my sweet craving at about 180 calories for a venti (large) size.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            This is so true. I know (or knew) folks on both sides of this equation.
            The evidence accepted in conventional medicine for good effects of diet and exercise, to the extent there is any, is statistical. The best you can hope for is to improve your odds, and what has happened in individual cases doesn't show anything, one way or the other. My gastroenterologist, who does my colonoscopies, recommended 1200mg/day calcium supplement on the strength of a study showing it reduces the number of pre-cancerous colon polyps (in a patient population). That was good enough for me, and I take it, but I'm not going to be shocked if I get colon cancer despite the calcium. I still need luck.
            Greg

Comment

This is kind of interesting:

Hawaii has the lowest percentage of women who are obese at 16.7 percent, followed by Colorado at 18 percent.
              http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyand...e70e433&k=7205

Comment

After my meeting tonight, I am heading for StarBucks at Kam Shopping Center! No Low Fat. The Regular and largest foa me tonight. I deserve it.

Mahalo

Uncle Mike
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Once I start, it's hard not to STOP!

I went to StarBucks tonight and bought me an Iced Mocha (Venti) w/ whipped Cream.

Was onolicious.

I am now going to go on my Roller Blade Exerciser to get rid of the calories.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

When I stick to this one, I do well. The best part, it's FREE!!!

http://sparkpeople.com/

Comment

I have been on a diet but got to a point that I got nowhere even eating only 1200 cal a day. so a friend pointed me to a diet she was on and she claim her whole body "woke up"

http://www.essense-of-life.com/moreinfo/foodcharts.htm

It has something to do with the ph levels in your body. She has a machine that make alkaline water. She washes her veggies in it and says they last longer. I have an apple that was washed in the water and I just ate it yesterday after a week and it tasted sweeter. the tap water washed apple tasted sour. both from the same lot and color when I started the experiment.

Check it out and comment!
                      Last edited by speedtek; October 23, 2007, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Stay lean and strong, eat Opihi. A 2 oz. serving size (56g.) contains only 1.5 grams fat (2% of daily value), of which 0% saturated fat (the "bad" fat). Opihi from Ireland contain no sugar and no Cholesterol. They do contain Protein (8 grams), Calcium (10% of daily value) and are high on Iron (45% of daily value). Basically, Opihi is a super food.

Comment

If you are taking cholesterol-fighting drugs or care about someone that is, don't miss this huge news release! Many experts are stunned at a study of two drugs, Vytorin and Zetia, and are questioning why the drug companies waited

TWO YEARS to release the findings of these drugs which utterly and absolutely failed to help clear arteries or prevent heart disease while they did show lower numbers of LDL and a couple of other key markers which we are tested for.

Here's a small portion per the rules here and then the link to the full story.

'"Breaking News/Updates
                          Updated at 6:46 a.m., Sunday, March 30, 2008

Doctors leery of cholesterol drugs after key study flops

Associated Press

CHICAGO — Full results of a failed trial on Vytorin, a medicine taken by millions of Americans to lower cholesterol, left doctors stunned that the drug did not improve heart disease even though it worked as intended to lower three key risk factors.

Use of Vytorin and a related drug, Zetia, seemed sure to continue to fall after the findings reported Sunday and fresh questions about why drugmakers took nearly two years after the study ended to give results.

"A lot of us thought that there would be some glimmer of benefit," said Dr. Roger Blumenthal, a Johns Hopkins University cardiologist and spokesman for the American Heart Association."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80330029
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

i use a generic drug right now for lowering cholesterol. i did try zetia and something else (can't remember the name), both of which affected my muscles. it's supposed to be a rare side effect, but i know of at least 4 others who had the same thing happen to them.
                            i do take phytosterols, eat the leanest meats possible, eat more veggies and nuts; use olive and macnut oils; no sausages and very little processed meats. soy milk and fat free cheeses.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I was offered cholesterol lowering drugs not two weeks ago and I of course told my doc no way. My HDL is double what they say it needs to be and my LDL is 128 instead of 100 or less but I suspect that what we eat before we start fasting the night before...does matter and I ate a chunk of aged cheddar at 10 PM that night.

I betcha when I am retested that my LDL is much lower. that cheese wasn't the only thing I ate that evening before that is not like me to eat. I haven't yet researched it but I suspect that if we were tested five days in one week, and if we experimented by eating drastically differently the five evenings before that our numbers would, a lot of us anyway....vary greatly.

What this latest news report says is not just about these two cholesterol lowering drugs. This indicts all of them because it says that though they can and often do lower our blood tests numbers.....the lowering of our numbers does NOT lessen or prevent the hardened arteries of plaque, nor do the drugs lessen the likelihood of heart disease. As one doc said.....they show NO benefit concerning disease. The drugs just make our numbers test lower, they give us a false sense of improving health.

Like you, I am on a pretty much Mediterranean diet, eating olives on top of half a bag of raw spinach at a time with a lot of raw garlic and eating like a shallot a day, often two, doing the raw fruits but a lot more veggies than fruit, and I haven't eaten pork or beef in several months. I am eating salmon six and seven days a week, hence my HDL is so high, and I eat egg whites, rarely even a half of a yolk, and a lot of tortillas, Arturo's brand made in Hawaii that are full of oat fiber and some wheat gluten. I have no allergy to the gluten and it's been proven in studies to also help lower cholesterol levels.

Lastly, damn the pharmaceutical companies for sitting on this study for TWO YEARS. I'll be asking more than one congress person to investigate them for this.

No bloody excuse for it....and remember, they make our immunizations, too.

they don't care about us and our health....they care about making money.

Lesson learned...take control and keep control of your own health and find and honor the physician that truly works WITH you, and doesn't try to dictate your body's care.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

K-den. Lemme see.

I just took Simvastatin.

And five odda medications.

I can hardly walk cause my neuropathy is acking up. But Life is GREAT!

I'm ALIVE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X