• Show
Clear All

• A day without a Mexican

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3700734&page=1
    Coming soon to a grocery near you!
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: A day without a Mexican

this is the hard, real truth. xenophobia always comes back to bite you in the behind.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

The farms should try raising the wages. You'll find more legal workers then. And then, it would make Hawaii agriculture more competitive in return.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        The farms should try raising the wages. You'll find more legal workers then. And then, it would make Hawaii agriculture more competitive in return.
        but this would send American crops along the ways of sugar. the jobs would eventually end up in Mexico, Latin American countries, and the Phils anyway.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I agree with Mike Lowery.

It's "a hard pill to swallow", though true.

IMO
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
            but this would send American crops along the ways of sugar. the jobs would eventually end up in Mexico, Latin American countries, and the Phils anyway.
            I see your point, but then, what's the difference now? Our corporate farms are beating out mom and pop farms in Mexico which in turn puts people out of work so they make the illegal run up to the US to work on farms again. If that's the case, maybe it is better to give up a few agriculture items so Mexico has jobs for their people which in turn stems the illegal immigration which in turn reduces our expenditure on health care, education, and border patrol? I know I know, complicated issues......

As for Hawaii's own agriculture, if items from the mainland such as milk, eggs, etc get more expensive, all of a sudden, home grown stuff looks a lot more attractive which means local farms having a better chance at survival.

Comment

You should see how bad it is here on the mainland with the Mexicans. This area is full of them. A lot of them are illegal. For you guys in the Islands, it's too long a swim for them to get there. They demand to be taught in Spanish, they sponge off our entitlements and are nasty buggahs. I'm tired of having to 'press 1 for English' when I call anywhere or see everything bilingual in the stores or on the labels of products.

Maybe they take jobs we wouldn't, but they need to start adapting or get the heck outta here and back to Mexico.

Comment

This thread is going to get interesting....
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
                  You should see how bad it is here on the mainland with the Mexicans. This area is full of them. A lot of them are illegal. For you guys in the Islands, it's too long a swim for them to get there. They demand to be taught in Spanish, they sponge off our entitlements and are nasty buggahs. I'm tired of having to 'press 1 for English' when I call anywhere or see everything bilingual in the stores or on the labels of products.

Maybe they take jobs we wouldn't, but they need to start adapting or get the heck outta here and back to Mexico.
                  Illinois is full of them? Please. Exactly what are you asking them to adapt to? WhiteWonderland is history you know. Sorry you have to press a button or see the Spanish language in print. That's quite a burden to bear. Btw Mexicans and other Latinos are a growing minority in Hawaii. I'll bet they're more welcome than many haoles.

I'll spare you the "R" word since it probably wouldn't phase you. Let me just say you come across very ugly. Where's the "Lovin" LK?

My great-grandmother was Mestiza; father a Spainard, mother an Indian. Most Latin Americans have similar blood. Most are hard working, honest people. Most have a more charitable opinion of Anglos than many deserve.

Have you considered relocating to Australia? People of your stripe are still a clear majority there.

Best of luck you "nasty buggah".
                  Last edited by sinjin; October 25, 2007, 05:57 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

The 'R' word is a funny thing.

My sister-in-law's husband won't allow one of our niece's (not his kid) fiancee in his house because the boy's family is from Puerto Rico. About 30 years ago, my sister-in-law got married to a (then) young man of Italian ancestry. Her father boycotted the wedding because of that (father-in-law's background was Irish). About 23 years before that, my mother-in-law's French-Canadian family gave her no end of grief for marrying an 'Irishman'.

you'd think we as a species would learn something from things like that but even direct exposure to prejudice doesn't seem to teach us anything.
                    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                    Socrates.

Comment

The United States of America is a nation of immigrants. Why shut the door now?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        The United States of America is a nation of immigrants. Why shut the door now?
                        Let's not shut the door but I think reform is desperately needed. Otherwise, our current form of infrastructure will collapse with the added pressures.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
                          The 'R' word is a funny thing.

My sister-in-law's husband won't allow one of our niece's (not his kid) fiancee in his house because the boy's family is from Puerto Rico. About 30 years ago, my sister-in-law got married to a (then) young man of Italian ancestry. Her father boycotted the wedding because of that (father-in-law's background was Irish). About 23 years before that, my mother-in-law's French-Canadian family gave her no end of grief for marrying an 'Irishman'.

you'd think we as a species would learn something from things like that but even direct exposure to prejudice doesn't seem to teach us anything.
                          My mom's people are pure Irish. She was raised in Brooklyn and her folks were terribly prejudiced towards black people especially. While in Ireland I consulted a genealogist concerning my mother's family name. I was told that "technically" her family name wasn't Irish at all. The name refers to people of Moorish ancestry stranded in Ireland during Spain's war with England. I wish my maternal grandparents had lived long enough for me to share that piece of information with them.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Let's not shut the door but I think reform is desperately needed. Otherwise, our current form of infrastructure will collapse with the added pressures.
                            You mean our current infrastructure largely built and maintained by these same folks? I support reform. Disband INS and the Border Patrol. Should save billions.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                              You mean our current infrastructure largely built and maintained by these same folks?
                              How so? By infrastructure, I mean the social programs such as public education, medical care, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X