Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Hot on the heels of the Thunderbirds Over Waikiki just a month ago, Hawaii fans are treated once again to our nation's air-bound elite in the form of the Blue Angels!

What: 2007 Blues on the Bay
    When: Saturday and Sunday, October 13 & 14, 2007
    Where: Marine Corps Base Hawai'i at Kane'ohe Bay
    Schedule: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for car show, carnival rides and autograph sessions
    Air shows: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., including performances by the Blue Angels, aerobatic pilots Patty Wagstaff, Greg Poe, Mike Wiskus, Jill Long and Tim Weber and the Red Bull helicopter; demonstrations by H-60 and H-65 helicopters, and Coast Guard C-130 and Air Force C-17 aircraft; and skydiving by Navy Leap Frogs and the Army Golden Knights.
    Cost: Free and open to the public. Tickets for special seating, including grandstands, box seats and chalets, are available at Ticketmaster

Their last performance here was back in 2004 at the same location over at Marine Corps Base Hawaii in Kaneohe.

Lucky if you live in the area, as you really won't have to go out of your way to watch it. Or even better yet, head out to the sandbar on a boat and enjoy the show.

It's hard to find the actual TIME the Blue Angels will perform, but I listened to a former Blue Angels commanding pilot being interviewed with Lanai (98.5FM) yesterday, and he said they'll start at approximately 3:00pm on each day.

I attended both the Saturday and Sunday events in 2004 (one with my late father) on base and had a blast (no pun intended). For me, the highlight of the 2004 shows was actually the performance by Patti Wagstaff and the solo performance by a Hawaii Air National Guard F-15. Those pilots were going OFF! The parking was well-organized and coordinated and not a problem at all.

If you do decide to head out to the marine base, DO bring this:

Cold drinks/water (non-alcoholic) in a small cooler (9-can capacity)
    Folding chair(s) and/or a beach mat/towel
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen
    Cool, comfortable attire
    Camera (still and/or video)

There's concession booths as well if you need stuff.

Related Links:
    Hawaii Marine Base Rehearsing for Event
    ‘Angels’ scream into Kaneohe (2004)
    Blues on the Bay.org
    Kaci Flies with the Blue Angels (YouTube video). See everyone else black-out from G-force in the related links!

I'm 99% sure I'll be going this weekend; probably one of those days watching it out at the sandbar with my friends. See you in Kaneohe!
    Last edited by Pomai; October 11, 2007, 09:19 AM. Reason: This is placed in this category, because that's the aim of the show: unity of community
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Mahalo for all the info! I plan to take my keiki over there on Sunday.

GO NAVY!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Hmm. 3 p.m., eh? Let us know if there's an official time announced. I love these community events at the Kaneohe base, but those massive fields of concrete and asphalt get wicked hot. The more I can minimize our time in the sun, the better.

Comment

Well you figure the Blue Angels would be the last to perform since it seems that you got parachute demostrations, flights by helicopters, cargo planes and other types of aircraft.

I know a previous demostration (back in the 1970's) with the Blue Angels had Army Golden Knights Parachute team jumping of helicopters, then a demostration of the C-130 on a JATO, then the Blue Angels themselves.

Comment

Here's a schedule:

http://www.mcbh.usmc.mil/Airshow/sked.htm

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Hmm. 3 p.m., eh? Let us know if there's an official time announced. I love these community events at the Kaneohe base, but those massive fields of concrete and asphalt get wicked hot. The more I can minimize our time in the sun, the better.
            Wicked hot is the word. I also forgot to recommend you also bring an umbrella for shade, or at the least, a hat.

If you're only interested in watching the Blue Angels perform, I'd get there at 2pm.

Check this YouTube video out. This is cockpit footage entirely from the 2004 air show at Kaneohe Marine Base!

Watch the pilot give a "shacka" sign while he taxis out. Then watch when they first take off; you can see the Koolau mountains in the background, and them ascending over Kaneohe Bay. You can also see them fly over H3 freeway several times, at the section that leads to the Marine Base. Very cool!

The coconut wireless tells me that there will be an Angels "private show" tomorrow (Friday). I suspect that will be when they take the media folks up for "slot rides". Shucks, I gotta' work (in town).

One cool thing you need to see up close is the C-130 Fat Albert JATO take-off. Pretty nuts. They did that at the '04 show. It almost looks like'd go into a stall in the climb, but nope. Awesome.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

To the best of my memory, this is how (Kaneohe) Marine Corps Base Hawaii was set-up back in 2004 for "Blues on the Bay"...

The parking area I zoned out in red is located towards the inner-left side of the base, facing Kaneohe Bay.

There were also additional parking lots at other parts of the base that included free shuttle bus service. If you get there early, you should be able to get a stall right by the main event area where I zoned.

That is, provided it's set-up in a similar way for 2007. I don't know. At least this gives you an idea where the main air strip area is located on base. Gotta' love Google Earth!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love Google earth!

Yesterday for almost 4 long tedious noise wracking window rattling hours they practiced so low you could almost see their faces in the cockpits over our heighborhood and surrounding area. I came out of my poolhouse after a shower and almost thought to flash them from my towel they were so close.

Not looking forward to another practice session again today and certainly my dogs are not! I am sure you all will enjoy the show. I think the shuttle bus idea is a good one. Have fun over there!

Comment

Well, I made it today just in time to catch the stars of the show, the Blue Angels! Here they are taxiing for take-off...

Angel 1 passes by, with the Koolau range in the background...

And here they are taxiing back in after the show. See how fast they are!...

The guy packin' the piece on his thigh is an MP, which there were MANY on duty, along with many HPD officers.

That's just a start. I have over 300 photos of some really cool stuff that I'll share as I go through them.

I must say, the Marines sure got logistics down to a science. The parking was so well organized, I got in and out of the base within 10 minutes, and the place was PACKED.

This show really is a shutterbug's paradise. Mel, I hope you get out there tomorrow, if you haven't today. I'd love to see your stuff.

The car show was just as awesome as the aircraft displays! I'll show you folks pics later.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There was a wide variety of civilian and military aircraft on static display. Many of which you could board, and in some, climb in the cockpit!

We're all familiar with this helicopter, the ages-old CH-47 Chinook....

I know, not the sexiest-looking machine, but check out the pilot!...

She looks just "cute" in this picture, but you should see and talk to her in person.. OMG! HOT! I said to her, "You're not the pilot, are you?". To which she laughed. I felt so bad for saying that. Pilots of this kind of aircraft aren't supposed to be that young and hot. Now I know how women feel when they meet young, good-looking male pilots. lol

This is the cabin area inside the Chinook...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Like I said earlier, the simultaneous car show at the event had just as much cool stuff as the air show. Here's just a few of many...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The Angels get their smoke on...

And the (huge) crowd watches in amazement...

...except for the fellah who seen my camera pointing that way and decided to give a shaka... eh, das' cool brah!

This is a pretty cool shot...

As good as I could squeeze out of my aging 3.2MP PowerShot. Time for an upgrade, like seriously.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Good stuff, Pomai -- thanks for posting 'em... and keep 'em coming, please!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

AWESOME Pomai!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Nice pics Pomai. I wouldn't have even known you were using a 3.2MP cam. But of course, I'm no expert.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                              X