Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Angels Over Kaneohe '07

Mahalo LN! Hope you enjoyed the show from your perch.

Well, there's toys for the little boys...

Then there's toys for the BIG BOYS!...

Honolulu Police Department Hughes MD500N "NOTAR" (no tail rotor) chopper

Federal Drug Enforcement Agency MD Explorer "NOTAR" chopper

I still say the Coast Guard's Dolphin has the coolest tail rotor sound though.

That's it for now. Gotta' run. I'll share more later! Have a great night folks!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

2 words of advice....leave REAL early to head to KMCAS...the traffic was SLOOOW...but it moved. 2nd, all goods on sale are with scrips...which is $1.25 ea but they also sell it as a bundle for $20. Dont know IF coolers are allowed, but if they are not, get ready to get cash before heading there (an BOH ATM mobile unit is there) cuz the day was pretty hot Saturday....and I think Sunday will be a carbon copy....but the show in retrospect....AWESOME!!!!!

Comment

Who ever thought Aloha Airlines would be parked here...

Intake:

Exhaust: This photo is looking in through the exhaust section of the engine powering this Aloha Airlines Boeing 737 jet aircraft...

What is those "metal fingers" behind the turbine? That surely isn't afterburner! (Seriously, what is that?!!!!)
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Awesome photos Pomai!
          Lovena

Comment

More Aloha (from a Hawaiian!!!)...

Honey, pass me the wrench...

Main gear bay of the (Aloha) Boeing 737
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Who ever thought Aloha Airlines would be parked here...
              They were there the last time Blue Angels came. The same cargo jet too... and back in 2003 they were at another aviation show out in Barbers' Point.

BTW, Pomai, excellent shots of all the planes and stuff at KMCAS.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Anyone know if the airshow would be viewable from Pali Lookout, or is that too far away?

GREAT PICS! Thanks for sharing, Pomai!
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  They were there the last time Blue Angels came. The same cargo jet too... and back in 2003 they were at another aviation show out in Barbers' Point.
                  Indeed they were. It's great having Aloha, yet it would be nice to have Hawaiian!

Here's Samoa...

Wait, wait, wait... stop the jet! OK, since when was BA #2 a 2-seater?! AAAAAAAnnnd..... why in the HELL is the back seat EMPTY! If nobody wanted to ride, I'LL GO!

If you're wondering where #5 and 6 are, they went to the north end of the runway.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
                    2 words of advice....leave REAL early to head to KMCAS...the traffic was SLOOOW...but it moved.
                    Yeah. I think it was the same before. But as has been noted, the traffic and crowd control provided by the Marines is impeccable. I don't think you'll ever see so many civilians and their cars moved into and out of a space any better than at Kaneohe.

I wish we could "leave REAL early," but we're not heading out to Kaneohe until after church in Manoa. I imagine we might not nab a spot on the fence at that rate, but last time we watched the show from under an Aloha Airlines wing. Shade trumped the view.

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
                      2 words of advice....leave REAL early to head to KMCAS...the traffic was SLOOOW...but it moved. 2nd, all goods on sale are with scrips...which is $1.25 ea but they also sell it as a bundle for $20. Dont know IF coolers are allowed, but if they are not, get ready to get cash before heading there (an BOH ATM mobile unit is there) cuz the day was pretty hot Saturday....and I think Sunday will be a carbon copy....but the show in retrospect....AWESOME!!!!!
                      Funny you say this. I arrived yesterday AFTER the rush, and left AFTER the rush. To which, as said before, I drove in and out within a 10-minute time span. I seriously recommend going early and leave early, or go late and leave late. I'm on "Hawaiian time", and choose the latter. lol

Remember when Hawaiian Airlines used to fly the DC-3!?...

Witness the radial (piston) engine under "the hood"...

I thought these had turbo-shafts.

Send your parcels via USPS, UPS or FedEx....

The young pilot of this aircraft told me to tell the FedEx bosses that anytime an opening for a DC-10 is posted, call him. lol
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If size matters, Blues on the Bay will satisfy...

C-17 Globemaster

C-5 Galaxy

Isn't this larger than the Airbus A380? By far the BIGGEST airplane at THIS show! If I was president of the United States, screw the Boeing 747, Air Force One is THIS!

To put the size of this amazing aircraft into perspective, just look at how it DWARFS everyone in, under and around it!...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          Anyone know if the airshow would be viewable from Pali Lookout, or is that too far away?

I think it is too far away. Take a look at this photo link. KMCAS is located near the hill that is farthest away in this shot. I was thinking about just going to the Pali to just escape getting caught in the slow traffic and not having to stay there for an entire, hot day.

Though I wonder if the Blue Angels fly all around Kaneohe and kiss up against the mountains? That would make for a different shot.

Pomai, looking at all the photos you have posted, you may just have saved me from making the trip myself since I'd probably end up shooting the same photos of the static displays, many of which I have seen in the past.

mel
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                            I drove through the Pali on my way to the base yesterday. There were plenty of folks at the two main lookouts along the way on the windward side, which is no wonder officials decided to close off the lookout near the base on H3.

I can say this: The Blue Angels make a few turns close to there and near the mountain, but otherwise, you'd be far away from the action.

The base is really where you want to be to absorb it. They make turns 'n stuff over Kaneohe and Kailua, but it's far and few between, where I think you might get bored.

Go on base. No doubt the best seat in the house. And don't worry about parking. Get choke.

When an aircraft such as the C-5 Galaxy lands, the weight needs to be displaced by using multiple main landing gear, as you can see here...

C-5 Galaxy main landing gear

I believe those are twelve wheels per side (24 main gear wheels total). The tire company must LOVE these guys! lol

The C-17 isn't shy of wheels either...

Such a function-over-form design.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

More cars...

Chevy Nova SS

Time to play some ZZ Top!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Indeed they were. It's great having Aloha, yet it would be nice to have Hawaiian!
                                And Go!

In 2004 Hawaiian was there:

Photo fished out of my 2004 file archive. I went that year but at the time did not have the long lens as I do now. Static display shots came out OK, aerial shots were distant at best.

On another note in this Star-Bulletin article, fellow HT member Dick, has shot some fantastic Blue Angels photos yesterday.
                                Last edited by mel; October 14, 2007, 08:39 AM. Reason: new info & link
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X