In the Valley of Elah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the Valley of Elah

Tommy Lee Jones plays a retired M/P who is unofficially reactivated when his son is found murdered and dismembered.
    Jones dons the mantle of "super-cop" (able to do what no other cop can do) as he assists lesser mortal cops in the investigation into his son's murder.

The film is well done and character development is attributable to the talent of the actors and director, but the storyline is a little hoaky and could have used better technical direction.

2.5/5

Wait for it to hit the dollar theater. Not worth the price of a DVD.

I shoulda gone to see Eastern Promises, instead.
    Last edited by woodman; October 11, 2007, 07:21 PM.

Re: In the Valley of Elah

regarding the storyline, i wonder how much hollywood changed the real story since it's based on a real event.

also, interesting that you and ebert have such a different take on the movie:
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/709130304

(btw, eastern promises is pretty good. not an adrenaline rush like die hard but slow and deliberate. Viggo Mortensen is a talented actor....)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Well, if it's a docudrama, then it goes beyond it's fair allowance for creative license.

Jones' character is almost mythically superhuman in his ability to notice what others have missed. It would have turned the persona of his character into a cartoon caricature (ala Fearless Fly ..."just an ordinary fly, but when I wear my special glasses..."), but jones seems to make it work because he is a seasoned actor.

I have no idea how much of the actual story was altered to sell the film, but I do know that regardless of how intelligent and perceptive any individual might be, they would not be given access to information in an ongoing murder investigation. If the cops were as inept as portrayed in the film, they would be all the more reluctant to allow anyone to scrutinize their work.

Stupid people are like that, and that applies to just about anything in all walks of life.

When someone comes into a closed circle with constructive intelligent input, they are not going to be welcomed.

Comment

ha! ha! yup, i'm sure you're right about that!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
        X