Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Trek

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Well, maybe I should qualify my review of Pegg's accent - to my ear, it sounds like an Irishman affecting a Scot's accent. Then again, what can you expect from an Englishman?
    Either way - it didn't work for ya. I wonder if his (Scots) wife provided any critique of his work?

(And I still haven't seen the film, dangit - probably won't be able to for another couple weeks.)

Comment

Perhaps in this alternate universe Mr. Scott while descend from Scotish people may have grown up in Ireland. Or the Scotish town he was living in had a huge influx of Irish people there.

I had no problem with the movie using the time travel causing an alternate universe as a plot device. What I do have an issue with is when one character told another character what the original time line was like and we as audience members never seen (or heard) that event on screen during the run of the original series.

The other thing that bothered me was the use lens flares in the movie. These are flares of light that come up during the movie in almost of all the indoor scenes. It's not too bad if the flare is in the background but had several of these flaring up in the foreground that washed out the scene.

What I liked about the movie is that it's decent action film with a side of humor.

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/us-m...d-in-trek.html

Before They Were Stars.

Comment

okay, so i have never watched an episode of Star Trek (in any of it's various forms) or any Star Trek movie...

that being said, I had heard the movie was good even if you weren't a fan (Trekkie!) and since it was directed by JJ Abrams, and produced by Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Bryan Burk (all of LOST and/or FRINGE, two of only three shows that i even watch), we decided to see it yesterday. And I must say that I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it! The whole family enjoyed it, even the kids (ages 10 and 8) who had also never seen a Star Trek show before.
          I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Saw it tonight with DS (his second viewing.) A few thoughts....

I liked the "pulling together" of the story in the first sequences. My first thought upon seeing the "evil vessel" was, "Oh, this is another Borg kine story"....not. The time interweaving was pretty artful, and the relationships were interesting. Some of the action shots made me dizzy; I guess the methodology of filming on an angle and swinging round a lot with everything dark and shadowed and with sharp objects flying at you is popular with directors now....

All in all, I did like the movie and remember thinking, over already?

My fave character? 17-yr-old Chekov with obvious videogame skills (I can do eet!!) and a thick Russian accent. And I wouldn't call Sulu's swordsmanship "fencing" in any sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
              okay, so i have never watched an episode of Star Trek (in any of it's various forms) or any Star Trek movie...
              Our kid's holding off until she's watched a Netflix copy of "Wrath of Khan".

It'd be interesting to see if Netflix has the TV series' Khan episode available too.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                Our kid's holding off until she's watched a Netflix copy of "Wrath of Khan".
                There might be a need for a Spoiler Alert.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  There might be a need for a Spoiler Alert.
                  I'm willing to go back and edit my post, but I don't think the plot of "Khan" has any spoilers for the new "Star Trek" movie. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Our kid has never watched the TV show or the movies before and has no idea about the characters or the culture, while "Khan" has whole paragraphs of dialogue that pop up as one-liners in the new movie. They're also filled with examples of military leadership that have permeated the vocabulary spouse and I use at home. Sort of like the grownups jokes put in Disney movies to help the adults stay awake in the theaters-- hard to appreciate them without the background.

If I took our kid to see "Star Trek" in a movie theater she'd be continuously whispering her questions to me and disturbing the other viewers. Far easier to sit on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and the remote control's "pause" button.

Gotta pass on the cultural heritage to the next generation-- before it's lost forever or only available on YouTube...
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I'm willing to go back and edit my post, but I don't think the plot of "Khan" has any spoilers for the new "Star Trek" movie. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Our kid has never watched the TV show or the movies before and has no idea about the characters or the culture, while "Khan" has whole paragraphs of dialogue that pop up as one-liners in the new movie. They're also filled with examples of military leadership that have permeated the vocabulary spouse and I use at home. Sort of like the grownups jokes put in Disney movies to help the adults stay awake in the theaters-- hard to appreciate them without the background.
                    But the thing is,... if your kid is planning to watch TWOK in order to get background information for the new movie, she'll definitely need to see the Space Seed episode from the original series in order to understand why Khan was obsessed with getting his revenge against Kirk. If anything, TWOK needed more background information for the novice fan than the new Star Trek movie.

Actually, one doesn't have to watch any of the previous TV series and movies to simply enjoy the new movie. It is only needed if one wants to catch all of the "ah ha" moments or to be immediately aware of the alternate timeline development as it happens. To name just one example: the new movie reveals how Kirk came up with his nickname for McCoy. But this little moment of revelation for veteran Trekkers (I prefer that term over Trekkies) will simply go over the heads of the newbies in the audience.

Gotta pass on the cultural heritage to the next generation-- before it's lost forever or only available on YouTube...
                    Of that, I don't think you will ever have to worry. For one thing, all of the various Star Trek TV episodes/movies are available on DVD, and will no doubt continue to be available well into the future with whatever home video format comes down the pike. I don't see any of it going out of print. There are also tons of Star Trek books, games, websites, and various other merchandise. And finally, there are the fan conventions that are still going strong. If any TV series/franchise has reasons to be concerned about being forgotten, Star Trek is not one of them. (Captain Video and his Video Rangers, maybe?)

My point is: if your daughter develops a serious interest in Star Trek, the resources will be there for her to become a full fledged Trekker, if she wants it.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Khan was made in the 1980's. Please anyone, don't give away the ending for Who Shot J.R! I have it on TiVo of the original broadcast.

Comment

finally saw the movie on tuesday night with eric and a friend of ours, who is also a bit of a trekkie. the theater was about 3/4 full, and given the reactions to several parts of the movie, the non-trekkie was the extreme rarity in the audience.

i haven't enjoyed a movie so much in a long time. props to abrams for caring so much of the ST legacy and respecting the roddenberry's vision, while putting his own spin on it. the major actors all did a great job, too. i'm really glad that all my skepticism was unfounded.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          And I wouldn't call Sulu's swordsmanship "fencing" in any sense of the word.
                          Hmmmmmm. I was a competitive fencer: I certainly didn't recall any 'fencing' in the movie....
                          I wondered: was it my age? My memory? Now I know: It wasn't "fencing" in any sense of the word.
                          Thanks cy.....
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

When Captain Pike asked for officers with advanced hand to hand combat training, Sulu said he had some training. It was during the shuttle ride to the jump that Sulu said to Kirk that it was fencing. Then again the weapon that Sulu wielded didn't look like fencing foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              (And I still haven't seen the film, dangit - probably won't be able to for another couple weeks.)
                              Shoulda said "couple months" ... finally got to it tonight. Briefly: enjoyed it greatly. One early complaint? The canyon into which Kirk's car falls; there ain't one of THOSE anywhere in Iowa!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                The canyon into which Kirk's car falls; there ain't one of THOSE anywhere in Iowa!
                                Yeah, right now that canyon does not exist but who's to say that by the time the year 2209 rolls around that canyon gets created. Or maybe it's dried up river or lake (kind of deep I know). One hint I heard that it's an open mine but that too was pretty deep.

Comment

Working...
                                X