Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have been helped by parents/family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you have been helped by parents/family?

My girlfriend's now-doctor younger sister just received her Doctoral of Pharmacology at Oregon State University at the age of 27, almost exclusively through her dad busting his okole working 2-3 jobs in Maui to pay the tuition, while she attended college full-time. Some help from scholarships, but mostly dad's cash and a couple student loans. If that isn't help from family, I don't know what is.

Of course, now she makes makes more money in her profession than dad does in the hotel industry.

Mom and dad's been there for me through thick and thin. I couldn't ask for better parents.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 15, 2007, 08:43 AM. Reason: Pass me the Tylenol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

oops. Wrong thread. lol
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My folks had no money to help us three kids out, by the time we reached high-school/college age. My older brother and sister both moved out before turning 18; I stayed to help my mother afford the mortgage (from my jobs) when my parents divorced.

Both parents remarried, and I ended up renting the house from mom, when I was married and had a child.

More recently, I've helped my daughter out, so that she could buy her own house. Was glad to be in a position to do so. My mother is also much better off now, and was able to help my kid, too. No big deal - fortunately.

Comment

no, I'm a pretty low key guy else I'd share more details.

No, not into sports leagues. Just into shooting stuff and collecting guns.October 14th, 2007 10:26 PM
          Thanks for answering my question.

My girlfriend's now-doctor younger sister just received her Doctoral of Pharmacology at Oregon State University at the age of 27, almost exclusively through her dad busting his okole working 2-3 jobs in Maui to pay the tuition, while she attended college full-time. Some help from scholarships, but mostly dad's cash and a couple student loans. If that isn't help from family, I don't know what is.
          Thanks for sharing your girlfriend's yonger sister's story. The older woman friend that I mentioned in my preceding post, sacrificed to send her only son to Punahou School by not having a car of her own in order to pay the tuition.

For some time afterward, after the son graduated from Punahou he would berate his parent's for "forcing" him to go to (in his opinion) an elitist private school. Much later on, the son finally admitted to my friend that going to Punahou School actually opened doors for him even when he was living on the mainland and applied for jobs there. This was very gratifying for my friend to hear.

Mom and dad's been there for me through thick and thin. I couldn't ask for better parents.Yesterday 12:38 AM
          I feel the same way too! Although my relationship with them hasn't always been harmonious (especially with my mother), it has evolved into a very close relationship with both of them today.

My folks had no money to help us three kids out, by the time we reached high-school/college age. My older brother and sister both moved out before turning 18; I stayed to help my mother afford the mortgage (from my jobs) when my parents divorced.
          Your story is a great example of a grown child helping their parent, rather than the other way around.

More recently, I've helped my daughter out, so that she could buy her own house. Was glad to be in a position to do so. My mother is also much better off now, and was able to help my kid, too. No big deal - fortunately.
          I think most parents everywhere would try to help their grown children, if they are in a position to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
          X