Would you marry a robot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you marry a robot?

That article has a link to a story about Charlie Sheen that I thought was funny:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21212671/

Comment

The Stepford Wives

Comment

Wasn't the plot of The Stepford Wives was the conversion of a human woman (and already married) to a robot? So techinically one would have married a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Wasn't the plot of The Stepford Wives was the conversion of a human woman (and already married) to a robot? So techinically one would have married a real person.
          Minor technicality. The women were replaced by look-alike robots at the preference of their husbands. It's not like they died of natural causes and the husbands created the robots to fill the void.

True, they initially fell in love and married a person, but then they preferred to be married to a robot. Very minor leap to marrying a robot to begin with. (Especially if they could be created with the image and mannerisms of one's first crush. )

OMG, I just thought of a plot for a move - a high school reunion, where's it's found that several of the men have married robots that look remarkably like the head cheerleader. And the now older cheerleader has to contend with perfect robots of herself, and her husband's reaction to them. Complicating the issue is one of the robot owners is a guy she had a crush on. I'm not sure yet if it's to be a comedy or some romantic Psychodrama.

Edit: Nah, make her attend with her fiancé - gives her a chance to break up with him and go with her first love.
          Last edited by GeckoGeek; October 14, 2007, 11:24 AM.

Comment

It would cost too much but you could turn him/her off.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
              It would cost too much but you could turn him/her off.
              Hey, that TV remote could come in handy!

Not to mention "turning them on" when you feel like it.

Comment

Reading this thread makes me want to watch iRobot (Will Smith) again. Cool flick.

Speaking of robots in the movies, the TRANSFORMERS DVD will be released this Tuesday. Yay!

Marrying a robot is wrong on so many levels from ethical, to psychological, to sociological. Engineers, scientists and government are going to have to limit how much human emotion a robot can synthesize, or movies such as Stealth, iRobot and Terminator will become art imitating life.

I can see things like the Tamagotchi (virtual pet), that teach a person responsibility, but once that responsibility becomes emotional attachment, then that could lead to all kinds of problems.

People have even ruined marriages from computers, as folks spend more time online than in the bedroom or sitting down as a family at the dinner table.

This as I type this on my computer. What a hypocrite! But if you're reading this, you're just as guilty.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Deep thoughts........ what if we all are already robots? They are trying to mimic biotechnology to be just like humans. Imagine the robots of the future that look, feel and think no differently from us. Who is the robot then?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                    Deep thoughts........ what if we all are already robots? They are trying to mimic biotechnology to be just like humans. Imagine the robots of the future that look, feel and think no differently from us. Who is the robot then?
                    I was going to respond to you a second ago, but the battery that controls my hand's dexterity just died, so I had to change it.

Before thinking that we might be robots already, I'd contemplate whether there are (biological) alien beings who walk amongst us.

Wait, Al Gore is a robot, right? So Tipper, hats-off to you. You married a robot.
                    Last edited by Pomai; October 14, 2007, 04:53 PM. Reason: Will You Marry Me? By Your Side I'll Be. ~ Wayne Wonder
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                      I bet it would be popular in Japan.
                      Domo arigato, Mr Roboto

*runs quickly from room*
                      "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                      Socrates.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                        What do you think?

...marriage with robots?
                        According to the link, that AI expert forecasts Massachusetts legalizing this in 2050.

Hmmm. I won't be around then, but having been a poor lonely desperate soul all my life, I'd say yes. Heck, I might even consider it now. Maybe.

It definitely has to be chunky.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

So if the bride is a robot and comes time to throw the bouquet does she throw flowers or a bunch of Intel 8080 chips?

Comment

Working...
                          X