Jon Riki Karamatsu's DUI Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jon Riki Karamatsu's DUI Charge

I didn't get a chance to read his post. Can anyone paste the full text here?
    ---
    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
      I could, however, being that he took it down I wonder about the legality of something like that. I have mailed the text to only one person on this board.

PZ has blogged about it in which he includes some other interesting tid bits and quotes from the blog. Since he owns HT, maybe it would be most appropriate if he were the one to put the text here ?

I'm sure someone out there has the full content and wishes to put it to the public, I just don't want to take on the heat so to speak

Comment

In other news, I'm in Gridiron this year, and I'm surprised the writers were able to throw in a last-minute Karamatsu gag that works rather well.
        Indeed it did. Bravo for this year's Gridiron. It is an incredible show if any of you are going this evening. I keep waiting for "AIONA GIRL" to show up on You Tube. Just goes to show anyone in politics is a potential punch line.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here is something to chew on.

In your SB story you say:
          ....He spent the night in jail before a friend posted $500 bail....
          What his blog said was:

...After being detained in the county jail, I didn't sleep for the whole night. I was later transferred to district court and once I was released from the holding area for arrested persons, I went to my court arraignment....

This shows that you were correct in what you stated compared to what someone else stated even though he sided with the SB:

Looking at these reports, I would say the S-B headline may have been slightly misleading, as Karamatsu was apparently not transported to OCCC but remained in a police detention cell awaiting bail, but the S-B story’s mention of the overnight detention was more accurate than the other reports. So on this one I think I’ll side with the S-B.
          http://ilind.net/2007/10/17/thursday-3/

Comment

Gene didn't write the headline. The article writers NEVER write their own headlines. Headline writing is done on the copy desk and at the layout desk.

The person writing the headline may not have understood exactly what they read.

But that was not the reporter's fault. If the content of the article was correct, then the writer did their job.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

....They seem to always look for anything negative to make a story that sells. Sometimes, they also mislead the public. At times, they report as if they know you, but they don't. Finally, the media sensationalizes the story by exaggerating and taking your words out of context.
              From one of Karamatsu's earlier blog entry

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                Gene didn't write the headline. The article writers NEVER write their own headlines. Headline writing is done on the copy desk and at the layout desk.

The person writing the headline may not have understood exactly what they read.

But that was not the reporter's fault. If the content of the article was correct, then the writer did their job.
                What was wrong with the Headline? Lind is the one who said it was misleading, I don't think it was.

He did go to jail. The SB's Headline read: "Legislator goes to Jail on DUI rap after crash"

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
                  I could, however, being that he took it down I wonder about the legality of something like that. I have mailed the text to only one person on this board.
                  It's OK. I was able to find it.

As far as I know (I'm no attorney but I did study media law), you could repost the entire blog. It's fair game, media outlets borrow from other media outlets freely, so long as it is properly attributed. And if it's on the Web, man it's out there already, like it or not, and it's practically fair game as long as it is properly credited.

And I can't imagine anyone wanting to take credit for writing that specific blog post.
                  ---
                  Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

KARAMATSU resigns Vice speakership. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...859306712.html
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by titilejomi View Post
                      What was wrong with the Headline? Lind is the one who said it was misleading, I don't think it was.

He did go to jail. The SB's Headline read: "Legislator goes to Jail on DUI rap after crash"
                      Aw man. I wasn't commenting on your comments... I was commenting on the general fact -- a fact that many readers might not know -- that story writers don't do their own headlines.

And Ian knows that better than anyone.

Blaine
                      Last edited by zztype; October 24, 2007, 02:20 PM.
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        Aw man. I wasn't commenting on your comments... I was commenting on the general fact -- a fact that many readers might not know -- that story writers don't do their own headlines.

And Ian knows that better than anyone.

Blaine
                        I kind of figured that. I was just pointing out to Gene that the headline in his article was correct and that Ian was misguided in saying that it was misleading.

It's OK. I was able to find it.

As far as I know (I'm no attorney but I did study media law), you could repost the entire blog. It's fair game, media outlets borrow from other media outlets freely, so long as it is properly attributed. And if it's on the Web, man it's out there already, like it or not, and it's practically fair game as long as it is properly credited.

And I can't imagine anyone wanting to take credit for writing that specific blog post.
                        And so could you now. I think the main reason I don't repost it in full, is that it's kind of a cheap shot at a guy that's having a hard enough time.

I also don't think the crime that he "allegedly" committed, is as worthy as some other things are. Yeah, it's big news, but the guy is already screwed. No need to rub more salt in to the wounds.

Comment

0.171 isn't that much for a real drinker. Seems that he may be somewhat of a lightweight to loose control of his car.

Comment

From the Hawaii House Blog (via Poinography):
                            After a recess, Speaker Say let the members know that Rep. Jon Riki Karamatsu had submitted his letter of resignation from the Vice Speaker position. Instead of accepting the resignation, Speaker relieved Rep. Karamatsu from his duties until Opening Day of the 2008 session. Rep. Karamatsu may or may not reassume the Vice Speaker position during the 2008 Legislative session, depending on his court proceedings scheduled for late December and, ultimately, the feeling of the majority caucus as to whether he should continue to serve in that capacity.

Comment

Working...
                            X