Ant Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant Farm

My son needs to get a Ant Farm for a school project. Does anyone here know which are the right ants to use in Hawaii?? and does anyone have one of those ant farms for sale. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Ant Farm

what a trip! Maybe one of our faculty members here can assist. I have not heard of anyone using ant farms here in Hawaii. What school? What grade? Is the teacher new? Is this OK as far as DOA or DOE is concerned? I'd like you to keep us posted speedtek!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

You might want to call Barnes and Noble in Ala Moana because I saw they had some ant farms for sale a month ago. I'm not sure if you have to send for the ants or if they can be sent to Hawaii. I thought it looked cute, but hesitated in case it should ever break in my house....

Comment

My son is in 9th Grade @ McKinley HS. It is a individual project for the class. He was assigned the task and I have found very little info on the subject. I didn't really want to spend $20 on a Ant Farm. I had one when I was his age and I tried all types ants and none of them did like what the picture showed. I remembered feeling bummed out when I found out you can't get the right ants here.

Comment

This may be a radical (and ineffective!) idea, but many years ago, Maxis made a game called SimAnt. Maybe you can make a multimedia ant farm presentation

Comment

I'll ask around at school tomorrow. Meanwhile, you might consider one of these. If he's going to have an ant farm, he might as well have one with an eerie neon glow and edible gel, right? No, seriously.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I had an art farm a long time ago. They sent me ants in a vial. No queen of course. Colony can't survive for long but it was interesting to watch.

Comment

Well I assume the activists will get alarmed if you try to bring in these invasive species without an EIS Oh wait they're probably coming in on a jetplane and not some super ferry
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

OK here's what I know. I'm living in northern arizona right now and we have a lot of these harvester ants - it turns out these are the type of ant used in ant farms. The company that makes the ant farms has people go out and gather these harvester ants in California, and I guess you get 100 or so by mail after you get your ant farm. No queen of course. Since there's no queen, these ants would not be able to establish themselves in Hawaii, although I guess they could bring in some sort of virus or mite or something that doesn't hurt them but messes up something in Hawaii. The only reason ant farms (and the ants) are still sold is the company started doing it in the 1950s and got "grandfathered in". All kinds of mean stuff was cool in the 1950s.

This whole process is well, VERY MEAN TO ANTS so I have a real problem with ant farms. Sheesh! And this is being taught in school? Why not study native species? And not be so mean to 'em?

Comment

Working...
                  X