Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disk Defragmenter

Try this:

Burn to disk whatever you can and take it off the drive, Defrag can't run if there isn't enough space on the drive for it to use to swap out the bits.

Unplug your comp from your cable or modem, disable your anti-virus program (sometimes the checking will throw off a write in the background)

Turn off/pause your task scheduler - Go to start > All Programs . Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks > in the Tasks window go to > Advanced > click on 'Pause Task Scheduler'

Do a disk clean up - empty recycle bin etc.

Do a disk scan - (right click on hard drive icon in 'My Computer' window > in the little window choose 'Properties' > click the 'Tools' tab > click 'Check now' > check the processes you want done

Run Defragmenter - go to start > click 'Run' > type in .. dfrg.msc .. > press enter

or if you feel confident your hard drive isn't going south you can force a defrag by using the command prompt window.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > type in ..

Defrag C:\ -f

If your hard drive is lettered differently or you have more than one drive, use the letter that applies

Comment

Holy crap...what a disaster. Restored the puter to original factory settings and nothing works properly, now. Gdamned defrag still doesn't work, I have no sound, the option function to stop displaying email messages in the preview pane doesn't work either. WTF!!! Maybe time for a new one.
      I'm getting royally p----d off and have my trusty 12 ga side by sitting next to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
        Holy crap...what a disaster. Restored the puter to original factory settings and nothing works properly, now. Gdamned defrag still doesn't work, I have no sound, the option function to stop displaying email messages in the preview pane doesn't work either. WTF!!! Maybe time for a new one.
        I'm getting royally p----d off and have my trusty 12 ga side by sitting next to me.
        When you restored it did you do a complete reinstall of XP? Or did you use your restore disk that came with the computer.

You don't have sound because you probably didn't load in your audio drivers. The option for previewing your e-mail is probably a utility that needs to be reloaded as well.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          When you restored it did you do a complete reinstall of XP? Or did you use your restore disk that came with the computer.

You don't have sound because you probably didn't load in your audio drivers. The option for previewing your e-mail is probably a utility that needs to be reloaded as well.
          Thanks Craig. Did a complete reinstall of XP. After sleeping on it, I got back in and reinstalled the drivers. Looks like a bunch of them got disabled. Solved the email viewing problem as well. Das wai get dat "help" button ah? Duh... Defrag still doesn't work, though, but I still have the freeware I downloaded and it'll do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Thanks Craig. Did a complete reinstall of XP. After sleeping on it, I got back in and reinstalled the drivers. Looks like a bunch of them got disabled. Solved the email viewing problem as well. Das wai get dat "help" button ah? Duh... Defrag still doesn't work, though, but I still have the freeware I downloaded and it'll do for now.
            After a complete reinstall and you're still having defrag issues? Sounds like a hard drive heading south or maybe RAM modules going bad.

I had recently purchased a bunch of Kingston Value Ram from Radio Shack (DDR400 PC3200 182-pin 512Mb) and a couple just simply died! I got an RMA for one module as I lost the receipt for the other one. When I went down to Radio Shack, they had apparently pulled the entire in-store inventory of Kingston Value RAM from their shelves.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X