Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
    Anyhow, thanks for the info Lynn. You are really on top of things for somebody that didn't have life handed to her.
    heheheh

You made my Day/Night!

Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 29, 2007, 06:47 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Tutusue Quoted:

With pom-poms strategically placed...

give me a G......G
      give me an O....O

give me an A.....A
      give me a U......U
      give me an N.....N
      give me a T.......T
      give me an I......I
      give me an E......E

rah...rah...rah...sis...boom...bah!
      Tutu Sue, you are sooo funny! Love this post! Goooo Auntie! You are doing better than my last attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
        Tutu Sue, you are sooo funny! [...]
        You may not think so if you saw where I strategically placed my pom-poms! I'd make Beth the Bounty Hunter's Wife look like Twiggy!

Comment

I just got back from a new funky place on this island. Folks where going outside for the first hour, that how long it lasted.

The smoking ban is a joke.
          Last edited by AlohaKine; September 30, 2007, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I'm in Illinois and I'll be so glad when the restaurant smoking ban goes into effect in January. We've needed it for a long time.

I worked at Motorola for 7 years and at the time, smokers could smoke anywhere they wanted to. I couldn't breathe. It was awful and even though it was 20 years ago I last worked there, I still have problems from inhaling all the second-hand smoke - and they could have cared less. I had a nasty and sadistic boss who was a chain smoker and she encouraged all the smokers to smoke more - to bother me. So it was her, two pipe smokers who each smoked a different aromatic - one cherry and the other vanilla - (yuck) and another chain smoker. I'm surprised the smoke alarms didn't go on that room was so full of smoke. I had to leave and walk around to avoid the smoke and could smell the fetid stuff for hours after I left work. The smoke also bothered a few of the other non-smokers but this woman didn't care. Her ego was quite big.

It was also very bad at Hawaiian Airlines in the maintenance hangar where I worked. I had a snotty boss who smoked heavily all day and other people in the room who smoked - and he blew it in our faces. I don't know where it came from, but there was cigarette smoke coming out of the vent above my desk. You couldn't even go into the washroom without someone smoking in there and there were cigarette burns all over the place. Those places were awful. I've never smoked and to expose someone to this potentially lethal cigarette smoke is dangerous.

Nobody should have to breathe in this awful smoke. It's still somewhat bad here and when I'm at a restaurant, I don't want someone's smoke wafting to ruin my meal, the same when I'm going into a store and they're smoking right outside the door. And I have no problems going over to them and telling them to snuff out the butt because the smoke is bothering me.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
              I had a nasty and sadistic boss who was a chain smoker and she encouraged all the smokers to smoke more - to bother me. So it was her, two pipe smokers who each smoked a different aromatic - one cherry and the other vanilla - (yuck) and another chain smoker. I'm surprised the smoke alarms didn't go on that room was so full of smoke. I had to leave and walk around to avoid the smoke and could smell the fetid stuff for hours after I left work. The smoke also bothered a few of the other non-smokers but this woman didn't care. Her ego was quite big.
              Sounds like the complete opposite of my friend's boss. He had this deal. If any employee who smoked was willing to quit, the boss would write out a check for $100 right on the spot. But the catch was that if the employee started again, he would owe the boss $200! It was a very creative anti-smoking policy,... and apparently, very effective. My friend didn't know of anyone starting again after taking that offer.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There banning it in bars in Illinois as well in January. The coldest part of winter. Bar business will get hit BAD, probably 30% or more. The anti groups actually suggest doing it in summer, because they KNOW these bans are awful for business. Bars here in Hawaii are still hurting a year later, the pain is most severe the first months and the loss of business continues at a less extreme level for a very long time. There are places here that have gone out of business because of it and places that let people cheat just to survive.

As for smoking being rude, it's the person themselves not the tobacco. The same kind of people that stand right next to you and fart or turn the lights out in the bathroom when they know that you're in the stall.

Comment

I'm not sure about bars but I think that bars are included.

Perhaps there should be a few bars that have to pay for a smoking licence just like a liquor license. I don't go to bars because I don't want to smell like a stale cigarette, or have to inhale all the fumes. There are even restaurants I won't go to because their smoking area isn't behind closed doors and the smoke still wafts to the non-smoking area.

I did work at a radio station once where the owner was a non-smoker and he wouldnt' let anyone smoke on the property. And at Abbott Labs, a HUGE pharmaceutical company where I've worked as a consultant a few times, they also don't allow smoking on their campus but do have picnic tables almost out on the road and that's the only place where anyone can smoke. A lot of people drive off the property and drive around just to get their tobacco fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Sounds like the complete opposite of my friend's boss. He had this deal. If any employee who smoked was willing to quit, the boss would write out a check for $100 right on the spot. But the catch was that if the employee started again, he would owe the boss $200! It was a very creative anti-smoking policy,... and apparently, very effective. My friend didn't know of anyone starting again after taking that offer.
                    This concept is not new. Adolf Hitler detested smoking and promised to give an expansive gold watch to any of his high ranking staff members if they would quit. When he finally shot himself, all the members of his staff that smoked lit up in the bunker. He also was instrumental in passing the first modern smoking ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_bans#History

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
                      I'm not sure about bars but I think that bars are included.

Perhaps there should be a few bars that have to pay for a smoking licence just like a liquor license. I don't go to bars because I don't want to smell like a stale cigarette, or have to inhale all the fumes. .
                      That what the freedom of choice movement is asking for. A hardship exemption through a smoking bar liquor licence. It's called HB1800 and it is deferred until next year.

Comment

In response to AlohaKind's comment on Ms. Zysman.

"The link above is from my favorite, favorite person Zysman. It is an expose on how to inject yourself into a community and create social enginneering to fit your desires. Just add money and presto."

I looked at Zysman's powerpoint, this is all Political Science 101 freshman college stuff, on how to pass social legislation. Something the opposition bar owners should have emulated in their efforts to get the new smoking ban overturned. They would have been much more effective had they done so. Instead they bungled every committee hearing they went to. "Oh so amateurish."

Comment

Originally posted by douglas View Post
                          In response to AlohaKind's comment on Ms. Zysman.

"The link above is from my favorite, favorite person Zysman. It is an expose on how to inject yourself into a community and create social enginneering to fit your desires. Just add money and presto."

I looked at Zysman's powerpoint, this is all Political Science 101 freshman college stuff, on how to pass social legislation. Something the opposition bar owners should have emulated in their efforts to get the new smoking ban overturned. They would have been much more effective had they done so. Instead they bungled every committee hearing they went to. "Oh so amateurish."
                          It would have been great if the bar owners (small business owners, not lobbyists) had been slicker in their presentations and appearances before the legislature. It's a reality that he/she who knows how to lobby and is well-funded will do better than ordinary citizens - doesn't matter if the cause is just, fair or right - it's one of the reasons so many feel disenfranchised by our government.
                          Last edited by glossyp; October 2, 2007, 10:11 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

I'm fully convinced that the government only cares about its own needs and not the needs of the people. They have their own agendas and none of them are helping me.

If they cared about us, meaning citizens, all illegals would be outta here, we'd all have some sort of affordable healthcare - which we don't, and they'd get rid of all the pork. No buildings in any state should be named after any congressman or senator. The pork is so bad you can smell the bacon burning in Washington DC. And the tax on tobacco, like cigarettes, should be sky high to get people to quit. Then maybe there wouldn't be as many health issues caused by the smoke and the second-hand smoke. They should also be taxing companies through the roof who offshore jobs so it would be more cost effective to keep them here.

I support IT departments and have been having a lot of trouble finding work because so much of it goes to India or the Philippines.

I know I got on a bit of a soapbox here and a little off the smoking ban but that's all a part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              It would have been great if the bar owners (business owners, not lobbyists) had been slicker in their presentations and appearances before the legislature. It's a reality that he/she who knows how to lobby and is well-funded will do better than ordinary citizens - doesn't matter if the cause is just, fair or right - it's one of the reasons so many feel disenfranchised by our government.
                              Hmmm...I just want to add, I was a novice in lobbying but I learned fast. Although it was for another cause, we were a small but sincere group. We had the proofs, witnesses, and everything to back our resolutions, etc. Representatives voted in favor every time. Alas, when it came in front of one Senator, it was killed. Yes, she alone had the power to kill it. Until this day I don't understand it. So instead of being disenchanted, I told myself, I going learn everything from the start so I can help my community better.

Auntie Lynn
                              1 month 1 day
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                Hmmm...I just want to add, I was a novice in lobbying but I learned fast. Although it was for another cause, we were a small but sincere group. We had the proofs, witnesses, and everything to back our resolutions, etc. Representatives voted in favor every time. Alas, when it came in front of one Senator, it was killed. Yes, she alone had the power to kill it. Until this day I don't understand it. So instead of being disenchanted, I told myself, I going learn everything from the start so I can help my community better.

Auntie Lynn
                                1 month 1 day
                                Your experience is a good example of what can be done with commitment and passion. I hope that the bar owners will have learned from their failure and will be able to mount a better challenge. But, that still doesn't change the fact that, as you pointed out, one senator can kill something. You always have the good attitude though, so more power to you!

Comment

Working...
                                X