Catering Disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catering Disasters

Eric and Cyn cautiously ventured into the unfamiliar venue in search of the elusive creature known as live midweek musical entertainment. Their trepidation quickly transformed to joy as waves of 70s-era horn-band hits washed over them. Their celebratory glow was short lived though, as unseen forces were conspiring to mount a gastronomic challenge destined to drive them from the Esprit Lounge-esque tableau.
    Such was the scene at the Dole Cannery Ballrooms earlier this evening. Despite the impressive stylings of Powerhouse -- the aforementioned 12-piece band -- hunger pangs forced an early retreat to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant -- Bac Nam. This wasn't due to a lack of food at the event. Eight plates of pupus went down on our table of six. Unfortunately, hardly any of it was worth consuming. And though I'm normally quite forgiving of culinary miscues, the dogpile of f-ups is unforgivable
    "Pau Hana Drink Specials & Ono Food!" the event ticket promises. I have no beef with the bar, despite the fact that happy hour ends at 5:30pm and I'm not a schoolteacher. But even the children in attendance were visibly displeased with the food being served up. Simply put, the food could best be described as reheated Costco fare marked up 400%. I've had better grub at OIA football games. Quick bites: The steak was gristly, overpriced and underseasoned, everything deep fried was bland and greasy (watch the temps!) and more than half the menu was gone halfway through the program.
    As if the false advertising wasn't enough, the company's website proudly announces that they won a CATIE award for their food in 2006. If any of you have true life catering horror stories, please feel free to share them here so we might possibly avoid experiencing them firsthand. Life is too short to eat bad food!

Company: Creations in Catering (hawaiicatering.com).

Event menu (remember, these are pupu portions): "Hokey" poke plate $Mkt. "Big Bambucha" rib eye steak $26. Garlic fried pork steak $13. Calamari deep fried $9. Fried chicken wings $8. Juicy longanisa sausage $7. Onion rings $5. French fries $4. Shrimp chips $3. Nalo greens salad $8.
    Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; October 25, 2007, 01:13 AM. Reason: HTML gremlins
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Catering Disasters

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Company: Creations in Catering (hawaiicatering.com).
    This can't SERIOUSLY be their website, can it? That alone is a red flag. (warning, don't go there if you're allergic to banner ads or are epileptic)

Several caterers we've had FAVORABLE experiences were:
    • Ige's (mixed local/Okinawan cuisine) - did them for office, as well as family functions (dishes that keep well at room temperature, overall crowd-pleaser stuff)
    • Kahai Street Kitchen - office functions (GREAT SERVICE! and EXCELLENT grinds!)
    Matters of Taste - office functions (they changed their menu lately, but our order of various pastas and grilled steak was DELICIOSO!)

One place that was a disaster, which surprised and upset me (because I suggested it!) was Matsumoto's Okazuya (Gulick Ave.). Somebody working the bento production line had a WAY TOO HEAVY HAND with the SALT. That had to have been the worst bento lunches we've ever bulk-ordered. But I'm forgiving and will still go back there, at least for the Okazuya. It's that good!.... when they're on it.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 25, 2007, 08:39 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      This can't SERIOUSLY be their website, can it? That alone is a red flag. (warning, don't go there if you're allergic to banner ads or are epileptic) [...]
      It appears that domain name (is that the right term?!) is up for sale per this page.

Comment

Oopsie. The correct address is hawaiicaterers.com. That's what happens when I post after a very satisfying dinner of Spicy Beef Soup and BYO Oregon Honey beer.
        Btw, the "Big Bambucha" steak put out by CIC last night was, at most, 10oz and sliced into very unpupu-like 3.5" strips. I've had steaks from Ruth Chris that cost less per bite.
        I do have a tip for the hapless Dole Cannery Ballroom waitstaff though. Besides suggesting to your manager that they hire more on-call personnel (five people taking food & drink orders for a room > 200 people is utter madness), you could post an e-mail address (and maybe someone's Sidekick # for those who can't text to e-mail) on every table with instructions for diners to text in their order including table # and full name with apologies for the inconvenience. And then pay a fifth-grader $40 cash to man a computer and print out orders as they arrived for the caterers. Any food shortages could be communicated back to diners immediately and waitstaff productivity would have been increased by more than 100%.
        I can foresee hungry, irate customers insisting on ordering Papa John's delivery in your future though if the food and service issues aren't addressed.
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
        X