Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Maybe I should just consider selling this G3. I still have the G4 iMac that's working just fine. I just found this site that sells a Mac G3 compatible wifi card but it says even for my model it will run only with OS-X.

That said will this G3 run OS-X? I'd rather upgrade to OS-X rather than keeping the OS-9 operating system. This G3 is running a 333-MHz processor but is limited to the onboard 128Mb RAM.

Is this G3 worth the upgrade (I want to use it to browse the internet as I can't see it being used for very much else). But I don't want to plunk any more money into it if it can't run OS-X hence run this wifi card.
    Lombards officially support OSX versions up to 10.3. I would highly recommend maxing out the memory if you are going to do this. This page might be more useful to you:

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/lombard.shtml

Still, nice score for $10.

edit: I forgot - the nice thing about the wireless card from apple is that it installs under the keyboard, rather than having an antenna sticking out the side of your laptop.

Also, to stay on topic, 10.5 is pretty groovy so far. Quicklook is great, safari 3 loads almost instantly, and spaces rules if you like multiple desktops. On the downside, stacks are kind of lame, there is no pithhelmet for the new safari, and there really should be an interface option for the translucence of the menu bar.
    Last edited by kamapuaa; October 29, 2007, 04:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
    I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

More on Mac Leopard 10.5 from Low End Mac:

Leopard Faster than Tiger on Intel, Slower on PowerPC,....

We've been used to better performance as Mac OS X evolved from the Public Beta through version 10.3. With Tiger (10.4), that ended. And with Leopard, if these benchmark results are a fair indicator, there's a real performance hit.

In short, for best performance, PowerPC Macs should stick with Tiger, and if you want to run Leopard on a G5 system, the additional overhead of a 64-bit OS seems to offset any advantage.

As widely expected, Leopard appears to be optimized for the Intel x86 architecture. 32-bit Leopard is overall a bit slower than Tiger (on the order of 3%), and 64-bit Leopard is the speed champion overall (6-7%) and in three of four benchmarks.
      The complete article mentions the testing and benchmarks on both Power PC and Intel Macs. The Intel Macs are truly the winners when it comes to OSX 10.5.

Lastly the article also points out that 10.5 can run on slower G4 Power PC Macs, but installation is cumbersome and the performance sluggish (using the same links to an earlier article referenced in this thread)....

Bottom line: G4, stick with Tiger or earlier. G5, Leopard is slower, Tiger is the fastest.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The G3 that I bought actually has 64MB of onboard RAM. When I checked it out that's what it said...so Mel if you're interested in it let me know.

One thing I noticed is the battery won't hold a charge and the power adapter has a break in the cord near the plug to the computer so you have to wiggle it a bit to make the connection. But once you get this laptop up and running it seems no matter how much you wiggle it the power stays on. Otherwise it seems to be perfectly running. It has a built in CD-ROM drive.

I'm thinking the break in the power cord is causing the battery not to charge so I'm gonna play with it some more to determine if the battery or the charger is the culprit.

I'm sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic too much.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just asked someone at the HPU Bookstore about Leopard and she said they were back-ordered on Leopard, as well as the iPod Touch. I guess I will be waiting a couple more weeks until the shipment comes in.

Note that buying from the Apple Store with an educational discount, either online or in store, will take only $13 off the original price, yet buying directly from a university will shave off a good $60 from the original price, for a price of $69. Also, Amazon.com is selling Leopard for $109.
          Last edited by liberty; October 30, 2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

This Friday and Saturday, CompUSA has Leopard for $109, which is $20 off the list $129 price.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Can't play with Time Machine, really, until I get a good external FireWire drive.
              It'll work with a USB drive too, although perhaps not as quickly.

Comment

A word of caution for Mac geeks who like to tinker. If you have ever reformatted or erased or upgraded your Mac's hard disk, be sure to check your disk's partition scheme before you try to upgrade to Leopard. OS X won't install on an Intel Mac unless its disk partition scheme is GUID. If you've messed around with your partitions, it's possible that your partition scheme might have been set to Apple Partition Map instead of GUID -- and if so, Leopard will not install until you repartition your disk to GUID. Time to do that full backup and restore!

(From http://www.iresq.com/blog/?p=22)

Comment

Something annoying I noticed recently: If you've messed with the apache config files, a leopard install will move them. Also, it seems that they have jumped a major version with the webserver so, if you're doing something like name based virtual hosts, be ready for a little hacking session to get them to work again.
                  I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

For the record, I have Leopard running on my PowerBook G4 (1.5 GHz, 1 GB of memory) and so far, it's been working fine for me. I'll report any problems as I run into them.

Comment

Working...
                    X