Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 reasons to cry into your beer...

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    eh, pinoy, do you think we can convince the mother country to ship over some lambanog? ng imas ti san miguel no kayyat ko ti "bariety."

pardon the very bad ilocano-glish.
    haha, it's ok...I grew up in a household where Ilokano and Cebuano was spoken, but I learned Tagalog from Sharon.

Anyway, just ferment your own coconut juice in your backyard and make it yourself. My grandpa used to. I walked in to that kinda fancy liquor store in Ward Warehouse once, and they were introducing something from Philly that was similar to lambanog. I can't remember the name of it. I wish I checked the label; I have a feeling it was made in CA for some reason.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      haha, it's ok...I grew up in a household where Ilokano and Cebuano was spoken, but I learned Tagalog from Sharon.

Anyway, just ferment your own coconut juice in your backyard and make it yourself. My grandpa used to. I walked in to that kinda fancy liquor store in Ward Warehouse once, and they were introducing something from Philly that was similar to lambanog. I can't remember the name of it. I wish I checked the label; I have a feeling it was made in CA for some reason.
      cool grandpa you got! both my grandfathers died before i was born, so i'm SOL on that. but i'm very familiar with home made bagoong/patis, thanks to my maternal grandma!
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

cool grandpa you got! both my grandfathers died before i was born, so i'm SOL on that. but i'm very familiar with home made bagoong/patis, thanks to my maternal grandma!
        ...and this had been SUCH a delicious thread!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          ...and this had been SUCH a delicious thread!
          What's not delicious about bagoong and/or patis? Both are fermented like beer!
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

and for that matter, the oh-so-elegant sake was originally fermented in the following fashion:
            cook rice.

stick rice in mouth.

chew.

spit chewed rice into container.

let rice ferment.

sake!

seriously! i learned that on three sheets with zane lamprey!
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

more specifically, mmmmmmmmmmmm...beer with chocolate notes....
              Good grief. Gross. Even if I did try that (never have) and liked it, I still wouldn't order it again.

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Good grief. Gross. Even if I did try that (never have) and liked it, I still wouldn't order it again.
                Most of the darker beers I've tried have chocolate, caramel, nutty, or cream soda notes. I don't see why that should shame you!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

thank you for your abstention, since the joy of beer with chocolate notes is wasted on you (pearls before swine?). none for you means more for me, eric, scriv & fat jeff. we'll make sure to eat some really good cake while we drink our beer, too. maybe after getting inebriated and flying into a sugar high, i'll finally understand what it is you think is so humorous about calling filipinos stoned mexicans cause in my sobriety, i see it as insulting to both.

Comment

thank you for your abstention, since the joy of beer with chocolate notes is wasted on you (pearls before swine?). none for you means more for me, eric, scriv & fat jeff. we'll make sure to eat some really good cake while we drink our beer, too. maybe after getting inebriated and flying into a sugar high, i'll finally understand what it is you think is so humorous about calling filipinos stoned mexicans cause in my sobriety, i see it as insulting to both.
                    Wow, OK, I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Sheez. Hey, I didn't make that joke about the "Stoned Mexicans". One of our fellow Filipino brothers made it. OK? I just restated what they said, and yes, it was DAMNED FUNNY!

Anytime you wanna' invite me for a beer with Eric and Scriv', let me know! You go order the chocolate beer and cake, and I'll stick with whatever's on special, along with some Ahi Poke.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love Black Butte Porter, dangit. Where are you guys when everyone around me wants to drink canoe beer?
                      Seattle.
                      You'll see, if you get your butte up here someday.
                      Says Porter.
                      actually, all this talk of oregon beers is making me wonder whether visiting one of their breweries is possible when we go visit my mom over the holidays. i wish i can remember the name of the irish pub we went to two years ago, bcs we definitely want to visit again.
                      Was it part of the McMenamin's organization, I wonder? They have breweries and restaurants throughout Washington & Oregon; maybe they would let you come by for a tour.

BridgePort in Portland does daily tours; Rogue (in Newport) does tours, too. The Oregon Brewer's Guild might offer some help. There are a couple commercial tour operators that do brewpub tours, but I would think it would be more fun to set up your own.

Comment

Has anybody tasted the Kona Brewing Co. Pipeline Porter yet? They just started selling it up here, and I tend to gravitate towards the "heavier" beers if I have to drink beer (I like Guinness best, but not from a can).

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; October 27, 2007, 08:53 PM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Seattle.
                          You'll see, if you get your butte up here someday.
                          Says Porter.
                          I can't decide whether this is brilliant or stupid. It's probably both.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I can't decide whether this is brilliant or stupid. It's probably both.
                            Most assuredly.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Was it part of the McMenamin's organization, I wonder? They have breweries and restaurants throughout Washington & Oregon; maybe they would let you come by for a tour.

BridgePort in Portland does daily tours; Rogue (in Newport) does tours, too. The Oregon Brewer's Guild might offer some help. There are a couple commercial tour operators that do brewpub tours, but I would think it would be more fun to set up your own.
                              thanks, leo. it turned out that it was the horse brass pub. i was mistaken--it's an english, not irish, pub. btw, this week marks its 31st anniversary. we will try mcnenamin's highland pub & brewery since it's minutes from my mom's new house.

deschuttes, the brewery that is home to the black butte porter that scrivener, fat jeff, eric and i like, is having a benefit dinner for an oregon homeless shelter this weekend. the dinner includes five of their beers, and courses incorporating ingredients like lobster, trout, and lamb. dessert is chocolate soup with a pound cake crouton, accompanied by obsidian stout. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                              X