Comet 17P/Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comet 17P/Holmes

So has anyone seen Comet 17P/Holmes yet? It's sort of making the news a few days ago when it brighten unexpectly.

Re: Comet 17P/Holmes

Originally posted by helen View Post
    So has anyone seen Comet 17P/Holmes yet? It's sort of making the news a few days ago when it brighten unexpectly.
    Helen:
    Every morning I scan the skies for interesting things. So could you tell me? Do I look North? East? Straight up? A few years ago there was a comet passing by and we inherited some kittens in our garage, and my big bruiser boy is named Comet for that time.

And when I was getting ready to have my first daughter in 1999, there was Hale Bopp I think? It looked like there was a hole in the sky and that we had a glimpse of the brightness beyond heaven.

I couldn't tell by the link, and I'm not one of those people who can tell by longitude and lattitude exactly where to look.

Mahalo.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

According to Starry Night Enthusiast 5, 17P/Holmes should be visible now in the East to North-East sky, close to the horizon. When the moon rises at 9pm (HST) tonight, the comet would be above the moon and to the left. It's a general area of reference.

Comment

Thank you, "general instructions" are as specific as I needed you to get. It might be that Koko Crater obstructs my view, but I might get a chance to see it in the morning when I head to the bus stop. Have a great week, Helen! Pop open a Mountain Dew for me...with your 5 a Day!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

By that time (5am HST) you need to look in the North-West direction.

Comment

Couldn't see it on Sunday but tonight I did see it with the help of a pair of binoculars. It is still in the Eastern to North-Eastern sky around 10pm.

Comment

Helen! DUDE! I saw it tonight! Finally the clouds have parted. I have been trying to find it for the past three nights and mornings, but the lovely rain got in the way. Anyway, I just saw it. I tried to look at it through our binoculars but I am one of those people who can't seem to figure out how to use them. I'm disappointed that all I really see is a spot of fuzz in the sky, but I know THAT'S IT! I love space stuff.

Thanks, Helen. I'll look for it in the morning, too, although I'd prefer more rain...well, at least after I get on theBus.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

If you look at the faint stars through the binoculars they are just points of light, 17P/Holmes is just a fuzzy ball.

Comment

Working...
                X