Whither KUMU 1500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither KUMU 1500?

What's the deal with KUMU? Their playlist at their Web site still claims they air progressive talk radio, but it seems to be all sports, all the time...
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Whither KUMU 1500?

It had been rumored that they were going to do that. With 1370 supposedly going all sports as well to say the least we are going to see oversaturation of a format that-for the exception of a few stations in major markets-does not rate well and is a hassel and a half to sell to advertisers because of the belief that sports in the twenty-first century is a purely visual medium.

Comment

The Air America talk format has been struggling in the marketplace since its inception. Can't catch Rush and other conservative talk radio shows. Sports may be a better option for KUMU 1500 since the only other station with a good sports presence in Hawaii is AM 1420 KKEA. With the addition of 1370 doing Fox sports, that leaves the Honolulu market with 3 sports/talk stations. Full time talk stations in HNL are KHNR 690 AM, KHVH 830 AM, KHBZ 990 AM and KWAI 1080 AM. Some of the Christian stations like KGU 760 also feature talk shows from time to time. Talk is a big thing on AM these days as I am sure many of you know.

I would guess Visionary is just looking for a better piece of the talk radio pie.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by maximumradio View Post
        It had been rumored that they were going to do that. With 1370 supposedly going all sports as well to say the least we are going to see oversaturation of a format that-for the exception of a few stations in major markets-does not rate well and is a hassel and a half to sell to advertisers because of the belief that sports in the twenty-first century is a purely visual medium.
        I haven't heard anything on 1370 in weeks.

Comment

Unless you want to listen to sports yap or right-wing knuckleheads, the airwaves are pretty barren.

Air America tried to do 30 years' worth of catch-up in three years, and their business model was unrealistic. instead of trying to dominate a station in each market, they should have franchised out their shows individually. Stephanie Miller and Ed Shultz are doing fine on their own. So many stations are owned by neocons that it's difficult to get a toe in.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Today was a disaster on 1500AM. They kept replaying sports shows. From 9 am to 11am it was the regular Tim Brando show and then at 11am to 1pm the same two hours repeated. This again happen with the Dan Patrick Show at 2pm, more repeating broadcast.

1500AM has a chance to make a dent in the sports talk market with 1370AM off the air. Is there any live bodies over at Visionary running the show. Oh yea, I forgot, Visionary = cheap radio. Hire no talent = low quality radio. First they ruin their classic rock format with all their stupid moves on 105.9FM, now they are screwing up sports talk radio.

A quote from Pink Floyd's, "The Wall", "Is there anybody out there?"

Comment

What happened to sports talk radio on this station? Where's John Noland?

Comment

s i m u l c a s t
                with 94.7 FM. beautiful soft rock with Delilah on AM too.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What a disappointment. The morning local programs were a nice departure, esp the Leaheys & Rob & Russ. And thank God for podcasting I can still get the Dan Patrick show...now with no commercials! Still a bummer, the Sporting News shows were good too.

Comment

Basically, the Honolulu market can support only one sports radio station, which makes the UH contract "gold" when it comes to that format.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X