Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you trick-or-treat in another neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you trick-or-treat in another neighborhood?

I was a little surprised to learn today that a lot of my coworkers drive their kids to other neighborhoods to go trick-or-treating. Other coworkers complain about so many "out-of-towners" trick-or-treating in their neighborhood that all the street parking is taken.

I didn't realize so many people did this. Growing up, we always went farming for candy in our own neighborhood.

Where do your kids go to fill their bags?
    Our neighborhood
    85.71%
    A different neighborhood
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

Re: Do you trick-or-treat in another neighborhood?

We've not done this, but know folks who have. I suppose there could be a sneaky reason -- going to a fancier neighborhood for presumably higher-quality fare. But from what I can tell, it's largely because neighborhoods that welcome trick or treaters are increasingly rare.

I mean, we live in Mililani, which is jam packed with kids, but there are only scattered pockets of homes where most lights are on and kids are welcomed. We've tried to have candy ready, but with everyone else on our block blacked out, people just don't venture down our street.

Lately we've just gone to organized events... parties at someone's house, or things like Treat Street at Bishop Museum (never again) or trick or treating at Pearlridge (which we're doing this year). I think within a generation, that's gonig to be the norm. It's kind of sad, but I get the feeling that going door to door is going to become a quaint story to tell our grandkids.

Comment

My grandchildren come to our neightborhood to trick o treat. We live in a neighborhood with several small cul-de-sac. There are a lot of kids that come through our neighborhood. Most folks don't live here...they either live in another part of town or have relatives that live in our neighborhood. The folks show up early and park on the street and then the show begins. Almost every house has their porch light on....we take the glass panel off of our storm door and hubby sits at the front door with the candies. This year he had youngest DD's teacup poodle. She's all of two pounds and the kids came for candy and to pet her.

Here's a photo of early trick-o-treat'rs in our neighborhood. It was from 5-7pm but folks...err, kids always start earlier!

Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        It's kind of sad, but I get the feeling that going door to door is going to become a quaint story to tell our grandkids.
        That is kind of sad, but it does sound consistent with the evolution of our society. When I was a kid, Halloween was about the only time I ever interacted with some of my neighbors. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          It's kind of sad, but I get the feeling that going door to door is going to become a quaint story to tell our grandkids.
          Halloween and and Trick-or-Treating is Alive at MWH and Kukui Gardens!

No matter how much candies I buy, I run out every year!

This year, I asked my daughters to buy some moa!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Nope! Trick or treating is alive and well in Navy Housing!!

Last year we went to Treat Street (never again!) but this year I was planning to let my older boys go with their friends - in our neighborhood, while I go with my little fairy princess.

But with this weather - we may just go to Pearlridge instead.

It's POURING in town right now!!!
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

My neighborhood has lots of young families, so we see a few trick or treaters each year. This year we'll be taking our 2 year old out for the first time. He's not too crazy about his Tigger costume, but he'll no doubt like venturing to the "forbidden" other side of the cul-de-sac. Meanwhile, our nephew wants us to drop him off in Ocean Point. Density and lots of decorated houses has him thinking it will bear the mother lode.

Comment

We didn't go trick or treating tonight, but usually we go in our own neighborhood or if we go to our friend's house, we trick or treat in their neighborhood...
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Went with the God Kids and my friend (their father).
                  Both our ladies were working this evening. Oh well...

The neighborhood next to Paki Park was alot of fun!
                  And my "Pig Hunter" costume was a hit!
                  We don't live far away, near Iolani School.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I used to be a little annoyed with people who would drive into our neighborhoods from elsewhere to trick or treat. A friend of mine mentioned this year that she usually drives her kids into my neighborhood (without knowing I live there and thankfully I didn't grumble about the people driving in for Halloween to her) instead of the kids trick or treating in their own neighborhood because my friend was concerned that their own neighborhood wasn't safe to trick or treat on. No sidewalks in some places, not enough light in some places, etc. So I guess it made sense that she'd take her kids to what she thought was a safer neighborhood.

Comment

Demand an EIS.

Comment

Trick-or-Treating in my neighborhood was jammed packed. I had over 100 kids again this year. Most of them were very polite, too. The temperature was in the 30's and our street were still full of kids.
                        This morning, though, I have a kid hangover. Thankfully, this comes only once a year!
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

My kids are far too old to go T-or-Ting anymore, but they man the door and pass out the goodies. I over-bought (six bags, two would have been enough) as there were fewer goblins than last year. I'm sure the rain had a lot to do with the diminishing numbers. We shut down at 8:30 p.m.

There were some suggestions of just keeping the light off this year because of the weather, but I just couldn't do that.

In my time, we went T-andTing after elementary school years only for UNICEF. Is this still going on?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            In my time, we went T-andTing after elementary school years only for UNICEF. Is this still going on?
                            When I was in high school, at least in my crowd, we did trick-or-treating for donations to WorldVision or other hunger-relief agencies. I don't think this has completely died out.

In elementary school, we always did it in our own neighborhoods. When we lived in military housing, it seemed the entire housing area was participating, and my parents sent my sister and me out together (I guess I was eight and she was six, our last Halloween there) and the rule from my folks was that we could go anywhere we'd normally be allowed to go during the day. That was fun.

When we moved to Waipahu, it was pretty much the same, only more fun. We didn't know all our neighbors, but we were familiar enough with enough of them, and because we attended school right there in the neighborhood, the biggest part of the fun was running into schoolmates and comparing costumes and loot.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                            X