Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

A Breaking News story on the Star-Bulletin website:
    The A&E television network has suspended production of the Hawaii-based reality show "Dog the Bounty Hunter" after its star Duane "Dog" Chapman was caught on an audio tape repeatedly using a racial slur.
    The tape was obtained by the National Enquirer and published on their Web site, www.nationalenquirer.com, today. Soon after, the celebrity news Web site TMZ.com reported that A&E network suspended production. On the tape, Chapman uses the "n-word" in reference to his son's black girlfriend.
    TMZ.com said A&E issued a statement saying the show has been suspended while it investigates the allegations. "When the inquiry is concluded we will take appropriate action," the statement said, according to TMZ.
    There's more at that link above.
    The story is now on the Advertiser's website too at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Ooops. It's tough putting your career, your family, your life on the small screen for all the world to scrutinize. What's tough about it? That's what you want people to believe. So the cameras stop, does life go on? Is your life always like that? As if any of us would be surprised to hear anyone on this show has said something inappropriate. Ever since I became a parent, I have cleaned my language considerably. I even use proper grammar! It's so essential to speak well and to speak kindly. I know the Chapmans have little kids, too, and I'd want them to not hear stuff like that at home. But it's their home, not mine.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I agree with you, LavaGal. I passed no judgement on what happened, but merely reported the news.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

No judgement from me. But I would advise Dog to be very careful what he says, even behind closed doors. Sounds to me like someone has a very sensitive shotgun mike trained on him.

I will venture a prediction though. I say A&E lifts the suspension after Dog makes a best effort at public redemption. I think media consumers will have much more sympathy for Mr. Chapman than they did for a certain doddering, mean-spirited necon pundit.
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Ooops. It's tough putting your career, your family, your life on the small screen for all the world to scrutinize. What's tough about it? That's what you want people to believe. So the cameras stop, does life go on? Is your life always like that? As if any of us would be surprised to hear anyone on this show has said something inappropriate. Ever since I became a parent, I have cleaned my language considerably. I even use proper grammar! It's so essential to speak well and to speak kindly. I know the Chapmans have little kids, too, and I'd want them to not hear stuff like that at home. But it's their home, not mine.
          Can't say I've cleaned up my language. There is some kind of relief using words freely when venting out ... in private (like in the middle of a pineapple field).

But I've used restraint in the presence of children, though as much as I already knew (we were kids once), I am often surprised by the "choice" words coming out of their mouths.

As for this, as much as the Dog want to show what his real life is -- what he truly is -- you truly can't when you're being videotaped and recorded. I agree with other posters here, that he should have been careful. The media have a way of putting one's reputation through the wringer ... and they truly enjoy it.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
            Sounds to me like someone has a very sensitive shotgun mike trained on him.
            That someone is his own son and his olopop honey. On the tape he uses the word nigger in an arguement that his son needs to break up with the black chick because the black chick was threatening to tape record the Dog or his wife using the word nigger.

I don't know that the tape reveals what the PC crowd thinks it does.

Seems no different to me than all the disgusting Rap songs littered with the words nigger, whore, bitch, and worse.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
              No judgement from me. But I would advise Dog to be very careful what he says, even behind closed doors. Sounds to me like someone has a very sensitive shotgun mike trained on him.

I will venture a prediction though. I say A&E lifts the suspension after Dog makes a best effort at public redemption. I think media consumers will have much more sympathy for Mr. Chapman than they did for a certain doddering, mean-spirited necon pundit.
              I agree with this. I think they'll put him back on air. Redemption is appealing to the masses. But as an aside, I hope they banked some of those millions!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                Seems no different to me than all the disgusting Rap songs littered with the words nigger, whore, bitch, and worse.
                I wholeheartedly disagree.

I tend not to get wrapped up in debates about racism and discrimination, but if you want a rather accurate summary of my opinion on this matter, I will point you to this South Park episode: http://www.southparkzone.com/episode...e-Jackson.html
                ---
                Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Looks like disrespect is a way of life.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pow...i-pow-wow.html

Comment

I find it interesting that the tape consists of him explaining his personal use of the 'n-word' and his reasoning for not wanting his son to work there. I don't condone racism and racial slurs, but I, myself, have used some bad words in my time and I don't see Dog as "calling someone the n-word" on the tape...just explaining that he uses the word regularly and doesn't want it used agaisnt him. Notice he mentioned the National Enquirer on the tape - the same people who aired the story first. Definitely a set up on his son's side.
                    Shoots, I call my husband Haole Boy all da time....
                    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                      I find it interesting that the tape consists of him explaining his personal use of the 'n-word' and his reasoning for not wanting his son to work there. I don't condone racism and racial slurs, but I, myself, have used some bad words in my time and I don't see Dog as "calling someone the n-word" on the tape...just explaining that he uses the word regularly and doesn't want it used agaisnt him. Notice he mentioned the National Enquirer on the tape - the same people who aired the story first. Definitely a set up on his son's side.
                      Shoots, I call my husband Haole Boy all da time....

"I call my husband Haole Boy all da time"

Whole different kettle a fish there...

He's your man and I'll bet you any money the tone you say it in is way different than someone calling him that who doesn't know him. What would you do if if your man started using the term 'Island/sand/timber n...er" when referring to folks he doesn't know of a browner complexion?

Or to you?

Now listen to the very first part of the statement Chapman makes:

"I don't care if she's a Mexican, a whore...whatever...it's not 'cause she's black..."

WTF? Not "...she's Irish, a nun...whatever.." or even my mom's favorite saying "Skybluepink with yellow polkadots", but 'Mexican' and 'a whore'. Think about it for a bit.

He's saying he's not racist, ~shrugs~ if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck - it's a duck. He doesn't want to be seen as a racist duck dressed in chicken feathers? Try making a conscious effort to walk and talk like a human being and make an effort NOT to use the language of a racist, even in private.
                      Last edited by Peshkwe; November 1, 2007, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Good thing it wasn't Beth on the phone. IMHO, Beth could outdo her man in this department, BIG TIME. It would sear the air waves, melt the phone lines. Imagine what she's saying and feeling now. So what? Forgiveness of the son? The plot thickens. Does A&E see that?
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          "I call my husband Haole Boy all da time"

Whole different kettle a fish there...
                          Not really, a name's a name - not matter what light you put it in. And when I said that, I was trying to keep the post "light hearted" See the *big grin* next to the statement? And I get called all kinds of names by him as well.

My point is that the statements are made in the privacy of my own home. If other people heard us talking like that, they'd say wtf, too. But we know the context and the tone behind the statements. Just as I'm sure Dog and his crew, in the privacy of their office and OFF camera, know the context.

By no means am I saying it's right. I'm just not judging him on a conversation that was deliberately taped to catch him saying something bad. And obviously he thought it was a private conversation. Had he said it in public, then that's another story. Would you like all your conversations taped?

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post

Try making a conscious effort to walk and talk like a human being and make an effort NOT to use the language of a racist, even in private.
                          Nobody's perfect -- especially not me.

JMHO
                          So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                            Good thing it wasn't Beth on the phone. IMHO, Beth could outdo her man in this department, BIG TIME. It would sear the air waves, melt the phone lines. Imagine what she's saying and feeling now. So what? Forgiveness of the son? The plot thickens. Does A&E see that?
                            Nah...it'd just get redundant. You can only hear so many F-bombs before it becomes so much 'blah-blah-blah'. Nothing creative in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              Not really, a name's a name - not matter what light you put it in. And when I said that, I was trying to keep the post "light hearted" See the *big grin* next to the statement? And I get called all kinds of names by him as well.

My point is that the statements are made in the privacy of my own home. If other people heard us talking like that, they'd say wtf, too. But we know the context and the tone behind the statements. Just as I'm sure Dog and his crew, in the privacy of their office and OFF camera, know the context.

By no means am I saying it's right. I'm just not judging him on a conversation that was deliberately taped to catch him saying something bad. And obviously he thought it was a private conversation. Had he said it in public, then that's another story. Would you like all your conversations taped?

Nobody's perfect -- especially not me.

JMHO
                              You're right, no one is perfect but if you're gonna preach without hypocrisy don'cha think it'd help to do da walk to match the talk? How many uses of 'n' did he need to make the point that he thought the son's girlfriend was an opportunist waiting to strike?

Wouldn't bother me any to be taped. I rarely F-bomb and prefer rarer shade of blue in my language for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                              X