Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post

I disagree. I wasn't very clear, though. What I meant is a BAD name, is a bad name no matter what. My husband dislikes the term Haole because he's heard it used more derogatorily than not. As for the n-word - He grew up in San Diego and heard the word daily, non-derogatively (if there's really a non-derogative way of using it...) Meaning his (black) friends called each other this name without negative context or malice.
    Ah I see your point, so I know what you mean then.

White people can hate the term haole for what it is, but they can't compare it to the negative energy behind the N-word. I mean, right here in this thread, we're making liberal use of the word haole, but not the N-word.

There is a distinct difference between cultural discrimination, which haole and the N-word can stand for, and the kind of powerlessness and corruption that lies behind the N-word. The N-word is more than just a derogatory insult, it was once a form of institutional control over blacks and poor whites to keep the rich rich, and the poor dumber.

I lived in Los Angeles, South Central mind you, for some years, and alternative term of the N-word was used often around me, which I assume is the same one your husband heard.

When said between black folk, as you may or may not know, it is a term of endearment. Other ethnic minorities are also "allowed" to say it, because there is an understanding between them that they are all "brothers" being screwed by the system. It is mostly used by blacks because they are trying to take back their identity. They have applied more positive undertones to the word, including using it as an acronym promoting self-worth and betterment. Note that most white rappers avoid using the term in their songs, despite having been accepted into the black community.

I attended many functions and meetings within the black community. I would be the only Asian, or nonblack, at these meetings. Even though they said I could use the word freely myself, I refuse to because I do not want to perpetuate the feeling that anyone can just use it. Plus, the debate over the appropriate context of the word still rages on, and until that is settled, I refuse to rely on a word with so much moral ambiguity surrounding it.
    Last edited by genepark; November 1, 2007, 12:47 PM.
    ---
    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Also, a century ago, the word was widely used by the British to describe groups like Afghans and Indians.

It is a perjorative, and always has been. It should not be used — but neither should it be banned.

Also, the folks who create Dog's show must know where his prejudices lie. So they either consciously smoothed them over or had no clue.

But really. Does anyone really consider Dog Chapman an exemplar of polite society?

As to how Dog views local folks — it's a function of his job to see us all as perps and potential perps.
      Last edited by buzz1941; November 1, 2007, 12:53 PM.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
        Yeah, true. But people have to remember he's on a "reality" TV show. Things often get scripted - even his "preachy" messages. He may or may not be as religious as he portrays himself on his show (I don't know the guy in real life). Plus, judging by the language that gets beeped on the show, I chuckle at his "prayer sessions."
        He did use the n-bomb an aweful lot, though, to make his point. You're right in that respect.
        I think he might think he's religious....but I don't think he understands other than on a surface level what that's all about.

Meaning he's religious, without the completion of the spiritual understanding of his chosen path.

He could do the whole "Think about your family." bit without getting into the prayer circle stuff and A&E would be perfectly happy with the street made psychologist as they are with the street made preacher. In fact the cussing he does would be less hypocritical as the psych vs. the preacher.

With the 'n' bomb used so much in the heat of anger, it shows where his head is at in regards to folks other than the melanin challenged. If he didn't use the word regularly and with all the venomous weight it carries, it wouldn't have worried him so much and he'd have used other words to go off on his son.

He used it the way a gas station owner used it to speak to a 70 year old Lenape elder I was with who needed to use the rest room in PA. This man told River Bird Woman to go squat in the dust like the dust n....er she was.

Not like two guys meeting each other, saying 'Yo my n...ah!' with a pound and a shoulder hug....big difference.

With the use of haole or chimook (gitchimookomin = long knife = American white)....it's all in the context, voice tones and body language since it was originally an identifier word rather than straight out derogatory like the 'n' word.

Shoot...he coulda said she was a goat feltching, boxcar skulled pea-brain in the tertiary stages of syphilis.....and gotten the point across he didn't want his son with her without worrying about racism at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post

Shoot...he coulda said she was a goat feltching, boxcar skulled pea-brain in the tertiary stages of syphilis.
          Now THAT is a statement that is going to stay deep within me. THANK YOU! lol

I'm serious, I'm going to try and memorize that line for the next guy that steps to me.

As for the rest of the post, well put. I couldn't have said it better myself.
          ---
          Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Heh...my momma used ta say I read the dictionary for the short stories...

Then again I generally have the attention span of a concussed ferret so the dictionary worked many a day.

Comment

Shoot...he coulda said she was a goat feltching, boxcar skulled pea-brain in the tertiary stages of syphilis.
              I generally have the attention span of a concussed ferret
              Slow down, slow down, my hand is getting a cramp from writing all these gems down for future reference!
              [time out]
              [/time out]
              Okay. Ready for more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ok lessee, just a couple more....

you sorry gurning, microcephallic excuse for a sentient being.....

you're lower than the rancid crust left on the floor of the local peep emporium....

Wannabe gloryhole.....

you sorry sack of putrescent dog-vomit....

Howzzat?

Comment

Speaking of the n-bomb, did anyone see "Curb Your Enthusiasm" last week?
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

[...]you're lower than the rancid crust left on the floor of the local peep emporium....[...]
                    Allovasudden...the n-bomb is sounding tame!

Comment

I agree that words have power and not all words belong in all situations. However, I will use the word nigger when discussing this subject which happens to be the use of the word nigger.

Why?

Because black people use the word nigger in their daily private lives, in their entertainment and even in public. Oh, but you say not all black people. Well until most blacks stop using the word openly and publically or until most blacks at least start to express disgust at other blacks using the word nigger (which they do not in any large numbers), and until they protest the use of the word nigger by people like West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd just as much as they will the use ot the word nigger by people like the dog, then the rest of society can surely use the word when it is the central subject of a discussion.

Watching haoles tip toe around the "N" word while on any given night in any major American city, one can hear "F'in, niggah, Bitch, whore" blasting from the car next to you at a red light even with your windows rolled up is hilarious.

One for all and all for one. Either it is an offensive word or it is not. Blacks can't have it both ways.

Aloha
                      Last edited by kamuelakea; November 1, 2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

contrary to your belief, kamuelakea this thread is not literature. literature being the only place that i find this word not offensive. dictionary definitions aside....(most people dont need to look this word up) consider the written word here as a conversation among friends....would you sprinkle that word at any public conversation you participate in ... i think not.... you are cavalierly trying to make a point that in this forum you have the cajones to use racial epithets as if they had no consequence..... i challenge you to use that word a dozen times the next time you have a PUBLIC audience of more than 5 people that you dont know...see where that gets you.....your disrespect is awesome......we can talk about this without flaunting our confederate flag insensitivies for all to see and hear.
                        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Hey mods, can I respectfully suggest you split off the discussion on the use of n word specifically from the discreet discussion of use of nx by Dog?

Just a suggestion. Please, nobody call me the s-word (stupidhead).

But it really seems there are parallel discussions happening here.
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Hey mods, can I respectfully suggest you split off the discussion on the use of n word specifically from the discreet discussion of use of nx by Dog?

word! Z-word, actually. Stop! Do not say z-word again!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                              would you sprinkle that word at any public conversation you participate in ... i think not....
                              Black people do it all the time. The only reason your conclusion (that it would not be accepted in most public forums) is probably accurate is only because most people have been brainwashed like you are. Blacks can use the word nigger cavalierly in public and in social situations but not anyone else.

Can't you see how stupid that is?? If the word is so evil, then NO ONE should be using it publically, especially the people who find it offensive.

What you are saying escondido100 is that human beings cannot use the word nigger when discussing the use of the word nigger.

Sticks and stones silly.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post

I won't call you the "S" word but I don't see the difference. The discussion is on the use of the "N" word by Dog or anyone else. The arguement is that all non-black people should never utter the "N" word even though blacks do it all the time.

Is it only Dog who lives under verbal limitations?

Comment

Working...
                                X