Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post

If that's the case....it's very sad and would say much more than using the n-bomb.
    I know. Dog's use of the word, to me, is indefensible, so I'm far from justifying his action. However it's very sad that his own son sold him out.

My own father has said racially charged slurs, and as much as I hated him at times, he's still my father and I would never shame the family the way Tucker allegedly did. They must've really been on the outs, either that or it doesn't take much for Tucker to completely ruin his family's livelihood.
    ---
    Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
      I know. Dog's use of the word, to me, is indefensible, so I'm far from justifying his action. However it's very sad that his own son sold him out.

My own father has said racially charged slurs, and as much as I hated him at times, he's still my father and I would never shame the family the way Tucker allegedly did. They must've really been on the outs, either that or it doesn't take much for Tucker to completely ruin his family's livelihood.

Kind of curiouse though if the tape was going on a regular basis hoping to catch a rant, or was that rant given on a regular enough basis that he didn't have to wait for it or hope that it might happen.

Comment

Well it looks like the show is done. Pau. Dassit.

I'm fine with it. I did watch the show sometimes, through Xbox Live, but it's not like I had any attachment to it.
        ---
        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well it looks like the show is done. Pau. Dassit.
          Was there some announcement to that effect?
          So far, they just said that production was suspended. No word on airing existing shows or not, or on the overall future of the show. So... ?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Was there some announcement to that effect?
            Yep.

Comment

Correction: The show is not canceled. It's just been pulled off the air until the "foreseeable future." The Multichannel News report was misleading.
              ---
              Gene

Comment

When folks blame "the media" for Dog's actions, do they mean the medium of telephones and tape recorders?
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Correction: The show is not canceled. It's just been pulled off the air until the "foreseeable future." The Multichannel News report was misleading.
                  Yeah, I just noticed the Star-Bulletin headline has been changed to clarify this.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I hope most of you read Lee Cataluna's column today in the Advertiser. She's hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial head.
                    Do you then agree with statements like: "...the racist undertone of the show in which the saviors are white and the bad guys are brown." and that the show is/was "...portraying it(Hawaii) as a dirty, dangerous place, its drug-addled residents in desperate need of saving..."

I watched the show fairly often. One cannot help but be shocked at the numbers of locals strung out on "ice". Do you think this was overstated or somehow exaggerated?
                    Last edited by sinjin; November 2, 2007, 12:06 PM.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                      Do you then agree with statements like: "...the racist undertone of the show in which the saviors are white and the bad guys are brown." and that the show is/was "...portraying it(Hawaii) as a dirty, dangerous place, its drug-addled residents in desperate need of saving..."

I watched the show fairly often. One cannot help but be shocked at the numbers of locals strung out on "ice". Do you think this was overstated or somehow exaggerated?
                      It's an interesting discussion point, and for me it's hard to say. It's something news media folks struggle with all the time too.

When I was on Guam, a number of crimes and fatalities were blamed on the Micronesian community, as they were often the suspects in many of the cases. Most news media try their best not to identify the ethnicity of criminal suspects, so as not to perpetuate stereotypes. It gets hard, then, when we are required to photograph them and type out their name, and it becomes obvious what their ethnic makeup is.

It's hard to document facts (like Micronesian criminals or local ice addicts) without somehow feeling like you are perpetuating a stereotype. The Advertiser recently learned that the hard way, doing a story on that UH homeless report and feeling the wrath of the local Micronesian community.

When I do watch the show though, I do get that sense of racial undertones, so I think she's pretty much spot on in her observations.
                      ---
                      Gene

Comment

Considering the census break downs:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/15/15003.html

You sure would think that there'd be more Caucasians represented just in the number and ratios given. The show looked like only rarely did a Caucasian have issues with the law....unless he went to someplace like Denver or the like in the 48.

Yanno....I never did see all the shows, has he ever gone after black folks?

Or maybe not many white folks used the bond services of his family.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post

One cannot help but be shocked at the numbers of locals strung out on "ice". Do you think this was overstated or somehow exaggerated?
                          I think Lee put forth a fairly accurate analysis of the show. Considering the population of Oahu hovers close to 800,000, Dog's show presents a cropped, myopic picture of the fringes of our society. Make no mistake, we certainly do have an ice problem in Hawaii -- probably just as bad as any city in the Midwest. But what kind of ratings would a show about a Samoan bounty hunter busting white people in Utah generate?

Like it or not, mainstream TV perpetuates the "poor, ignorant brown people being saved/enlightened/conquered by the white man" theme because it believes that's what their consumers find comforting, even entertaining. Why stray from the formula if it worked for Hawaii Five-O, Gilligan's Island, et al., right? The sad irony when it comes to Hawaii is that such mainstream thinking is an eerie echo of the arrival of missionaries in our 'aina.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Considering puppyman's momma was a missionary on the rez

rez

rez

Gee...hella echo ennit?

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                              what kind of ratings would a show about a Samoan bounty hunter busting white people in Utah generate?
                              I'd watch that. Is it actually happening?
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                I'd watch that. Is it actually happening?
                                *lol* I live in Utah now and I can say without a doubt that a show like this doesn't exist here........yet.
                                So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                                X